Page 455 of 521 FirstFirst ... 355405445451452453454455456457458459465505 ... LastLast
Results 5,449 to 5,460 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I would love to select Young if he is available. He seems a good kick with a good all round game. He was also first in the agility test which suggests a decent change of direction and acceleration over the first few steps.

Lately I am starting to think about selecting Ash if Young is already taken. His line breaking speed is a point of difference. I think about GWS a few seasons ago when they had two pacy half back flankers running the ball and how effective that is. I would just put him on the wing and tell him to run the ball. Maybe like Zac Jones he will get tackled occasionally but it still gives us that threat of someone who can break away from the contest. And then later when his decision making improves maybe we can move him to half back or as inside mid who can burst through the middle.

I would also be happy to take Dylan Stephens. We have focused on the need for inside ball winners. But I think you still need to get the ball out to a quality outside player in space. He seems like someone who can run with the ball and put in an effective kick. He was also 3rd in the 2km time trail and 10th in the 20m sprint. So has already got pace and endurance. I am not sure about his go home factor. He is a Victorian going to Uni in South Australia and a chance to be taken next pick by Adelaide. But if he was happy to move interstate for several years for schooling he may be happy to move to Sydney.

I would rather not pick Flanders. He seems a bit of a Parker style of player. A bigger bodied midfielder who can also float forward and take a mark. He did well in the combine in jumping, agility and yoyo tests. I watched the replay of the Nab League Prelim against Eastern. He was able to shrug tackles and he got a few disposals mainly handballs out of the contest but he did not stand out too much.

Serong seems like a solid safe choice. But we have signed Gray who may be a half forward/mid as well. And then next year I can see Braeden Campbell playing as half forward and Gulden playing as wing.

Initially I was favouring Kemp. Because I thought he might be the best available inside mid long term. But it might be too much of a long term investment. Firstly getting him fit and then seeing how well he transitions to becoming an inside midfielder. So lately I am thinking about just getting best available mid at pick 25. I am not sure whether we go for a big body mid. Or get another mid like Rowbottom, not huge, but good hands, decision making and a bit acceleration out of the contest.

I don't think we will select McAsey, But I can see the hypothetical reasoning for taking the best defender in the draft just to address one of our weaknesses. But we may end up seeing how it goes with Melican/Brand/Maibaum/possible Mccartin. Or pick up someone like Hilder later in the draft.

Robertson has not been linked to us and I don't think we will pick him. But he is probably the best pure inside mid available at our pick and has highly regarded leadership abiliities.
    Last edited by SeanM; 23rd November 2019 at 01:43 PM.

As most of the conversation has identified, Swannies need best available talent midfielder, someone who could grow quickly with into the role and contribute under the eye of Kennedy and Parker. The question is then what is our need with second pick? In my view, we need some tall talent, either Key Position and/or ruckman, De Koning comes to mind as one who has talent to play either. I'm sure there are others who KB and our talent guys have their eye on. Looking at our next generation KP / ruck, we are very light on having let Cameron, Pink, Rose and Maibaum go. Our NEAFL side are midgets with the exception of Knoll and Amartey and those two can't be in 2 positions at one time. Just my observations.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I would love to select Young if he is available. He seems a good kick with a good all round game. He was also first in the agility test which suggests a decent change of direction and acceleration over the first few steps.

Lately I am starting to think about selecting Ash if Young is already taken. His line breaking speed is a point of difference. I think about GWS a few seasons ago when they had two pacy half back flankers running the ball and how effective that is. I would just put him on the wing and tell him to run the ball. Maybe like Zac Jones he will get tackled occasionally but it still gives us that threat of someone who can break away from the contest. And then later when his decision making improves maybe we can move him to half back or as inside mid who can burst through the middle.

I would also be happy to take Dylan Stephens. We have focused on the need for inside ball winners. But I think you still need to get the ball out to a quality outside player in space. He seems like someone who can run with the ball and put in an effective kick. He was also 3rd in the 2km time trail and 10th in the 20m sprint. So has already got pace and endurance. I am not sure about his go home factor. He is a Victorian going to Uni in South Australia and a chance to be taken next pick by Adelaide. But if he was happy to move interstate for several years for schooling he may be happy to move to Sydney.

I would rather not pick Flanders. He seems a bit of a Parker style of player. A bigger bodied midfielder who can also float forward and take a mark. He did well in the combine in jumping, agility and yoyo tests. I watched the replay of the Nab League Prelim against Eastern. He was able to shrug tackles and he got a few disposals mainly handballs out of the contest but he did not stand out too much.

Serong seems like a solid safe choice. But we have signed Gray who may be a half forward/mid as well. And then next year I can see Braeden Campbell playing as half forward and Gulden playing as wing.

Initially I was favouring Kemp. Because I thought he might be the best available inside mid long term. But it might be too much of a long term investment. Firstly getting him fit and then seeing how well he transitions to becoming an inside midfielder. So lately I am thinking about just getting best available mid at pick 25. I am not sure whether we go for a big body mid. Or get another Rowbottom, not huge, but good hands, decision making and a bit acceleration out of the contest.
    Young may well be best available at our pick. I also think his style is play is most eye-catching on a highlights reel, compared to someone like Flanders who’s not a good kick.

Young’s possibly the player we need least. But also the most attractive option, even if he can only kick on one side.

Flanders is a lot quicker and more explosive than Parker, I think he has de Goey type potential, but his kicking is a worry.

I think Serong is a better kick, but shorter and could be similar to those you mention.

Ash isn’t as quick as people think, but does take the game on. We’ve got a few of those types, all in the NEAFL or rehab. Maybe we need another.

There are reasons we could pick any of them, but I have no idea who we’ll really pick or why.

Wednesday night can’t come quick enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Also thinking we should definitely figure out how to swap pick 5 for pick 3 from Melbourne. We get it , bid on green, assuming GWS match. We then Take Young, ensuring we don’t miss out on him. And the Dees still get Jackson ( assuming that is who they are after).

We end with a slight chance of getting Green and if not a certainty to get Young. GWS don’t get two top 10 picks. Wonder what would get this done . Is our pick 25 enough , is it too much ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s predicted that Demons will take Jackson and Giants Ash, which means a pick swap with Melbourne wouldn’t be necessary to get Young (assuming he’s our choice, which I doubt).

It would greatly increase our chances of Green (it’s been suggested if Melbourne bid on Green, GWS won’t match), and of course royally screw up GWS.

Something still might happen on the night!

After delving a little deeper into some of the highlights packages floating around , tYoung is 100% the man I want us to pick at 5 (assuming he hasn’t been snapped up ). I’m very strong that our midfield is severely lacking, but this guys talent and skill is too good to ignore. The kicking , and not just ‘that’ kick, virtually every kick in his highlights package is pure class , with at least 3 or 4 more almost on par with the one everyone’s talking about. Supreme vision , skill and execution. But he isn’t just a kicker , his reading of the play, intercept and even contest marking looks fantastic as well. He also took out the agility test at the combine. I’m praying this guy is still available at our pick 5, with 3 deadly left foot kicks in our side ( Blakey and Dawson the other too , oh and bud but he’s no spring. Chicken ) our future looks bright for ball users. One in each third of the ground . Yes please .

I agree that I'd prefer us to pick Young as well if he's available but I suspect that with all the media experts predicting us selecting Flanders then there's got to be something in that and I am suspecting us to pick him, even if GWS do choose Ash ahead of us leaving Young to be taken by some other lucky club with a pick after ours...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

The Hun has another phantom draft:

Dees Jackson
    GWS Ash
    GWS Green matching us
    Swans Flanders (who I’m warming to)

Young slips to 9, Serong to 10

Category: | Herald Sun

Ultimately, I would be happy with any of Ash, Flanders, Young, Serong and Stephens (Just watched his highlight package - the kid is a jet and was doing some serious damage at SANFL level).

But if we could just somehow get Green.........

Veterans List
    After delving a little deeper into some of the highlights packages floating around , tYoung is 100% the man I want us to pick at 5 (assuming he hasn’t been snapped up ). I’m very strong that our midfield is severely lacking, but this guys talent and skill is too good to ignore. The kicking , and not just ‘that’ kick, virtually every kick in his highlights package is pure class , with at least 3 or 4 more almost on par with the one everyone’s talking about. Supreme vision , skill and execution. But he isn’t just a kicker , his reading of the play, intercept and even contest marking looks fantastic as well. He also took out the agility test at the combine. I’m praying this guy is still available at our pick 5, with 3 deadly left foot kicks in our side ( Blakey and Dawson the other too , oh and bud but he’s no spring. Chicken ) our future looks bright for ball users. One in each third of the ground . Yes please .

Totally agree and he is the type we love. Any why shouldn't we take him for all the reasons above. No point having a bunch of mids who can't set up the play for the forwards, like we have right now. Serong is one of those. If he is available I am sure/hope like hell we will take him.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree and he is the type we love. Any why shouldn't we take him for all the reasons above. No point having a bunch of mids who can't set up the play for the forwards, like we have right now. Serong is one of those. If he is available I am sure/hope like hell we will take him. there are no knocks on him and why wouldn't we want another Rampe who reads the ball coming in so well.

If GWS get ash and green fantastic effort and both look very likely as senior players quite quickly

That is an amazing group of emerging midfielders and HBF players they have gathered last 4 years - if it happens this year or two more

Ash or Young?
    Green?
    Taranto
    Hopper
    Caldwell
    Hately
    Hill

Added to
    Coniglio
    Whitfield
    Kelly
    Green T
    Ward

Massive depth and talent

Senior Player
    Fascinating article in The Age about the influence of Victorian Private Schools (Public Schools!?), on the draft.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...21-p53cso.html
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Fascinating article in The Age about the influence of Victorian Private Schools (Public Schools!?), on the draft.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...21-p53cso.html
    A number of them are recruited via scholarships having been developed elsewhere. Must be annoying to their original schools and clubs but the boys risk missing out if they don't go.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    A number of them are recruited via scholarships having been developed elsewhere. Must be annoying to their original schools and clubs but the boys risk missing out if they don't go.
    I read that this morning. Not good for the health of our game nor the public education system. Same thing happens for academic achievement and it's a prime factor in public schools having lower ATAR scores. Cohort effect.