Page 463 of 521 FirstFirst ... 363413453459460461462463464465466467473513 ... LastLast
Results 5,545 to 5,556 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Swans defiantly rule a line through gun mid - AFL.com.au

KB says "probably not" when asked if we'll bid on Green. And it looks like he means "no"
    "We would prefer to call the name of the player that we want, and will get"

I know its a nonsense, but pick 5 has historically been one of the absolute best. Pick 6 a complete Barry Crocker.

Maybe he knows Melb will bid on him at 3 and is just being a nice guy for next years draft

I don't know if our nominated academy players list has been posted here. I'm surprised that neither McKellar nor Martin have made the list. Sam Thorne seemed the best prospect to me, but it also wouldn't surprise me if we pass on another academy Cat B selection. I know Bell has been extended another year, but not sure if he remains on the Cat B rookie list, which would keep it full at 3 with the addition of BOC:

Sydney Swans:
    Jackson Barling (North Shore Bombers)
    Nicholas Brewer (North Short Bombers)

Hamish Ellem (Manly Warringah)
    Samuel Gaden (UNSW Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs)
    Max Geddes (UNSW Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs)
    Harry Maguire (Pennant Hills Demons)
    Luke Parks (North Shore Bombers)
    Samuel Thorne (UNSW Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs)

On KB's Comments

I interpreted his comments nearly ruling out Green was that we might prefer more of a running midfielder or player, like Young, Flanders, Stephens and Ash, as opposed to more of a pure contested ball winner, like a JPK. Our picks in recent times have heavily been weighted toward players with good pace, so perhaps not surprising that this strategy is still in place and Green is not the kind of player we want to add to our midfield.

I've been supportive of KB's strategy in this regard and don't mind continuing drafting players with pace and sills as key attributes.

Last edited by Ludwig; 26th November 2019 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't know if our nominated academy players list has been posted here. I'm surprised that neither McKellar nor Martin have made the list. Sam Thorne seemed the best prospect to me, but it also wouldn't surprise me if we pass on another academy Cat B selection. I know Bell has been extended another year, but not sure if he remains on the Cat B rookie list, which would keep it full at 3 with the addition of BOC:

Sydney Swans:
    Jackson Barling (North Shore Bombers)
    Nicholas Brewer (North Short Bombers)

Hamish Ellem (Manly Warringah)
    Samuel Gaden (UNSW Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs)
    Max Geddes (UNSW Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs)
    Harry Maguire (Pennant Hills Demons)
    Luke Parks (North Shore Bombers)
    Samuel Thorne (UNSW Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs)

On KB's Comments

I interpreted his comments nearly ruling out Green was that we might prefer more of a running midfielder or player, like Young, Flanders, Stephens and Ash, as opposed to more of a pure contested ball winner, like a JPK. Our picks in recent times have heavily been weighted toward players with good pace, so perhaps not surprising that this strategy is still in place and Green is not the kind of player we want to add to our midfield.

I've been supportive of KB's strategy in this regard and don't mind continuing drafting players with pace and sills as key attributes.

I don’t buy that he’s not what we need. I’m all for speeding up our midfield but this guy is tracking as a contested ball winning and clearance beast! Champion data has him completely off the charts for a guy his age in these stats. Our very own inside bull Joey is fading and not the player he once was, Green is the ideal long term replacement and if we weren’t concerned about the Giants getting revenge on us next year then we would be bidding for sure.

Beatson may be just saying that it's not worth bidding on a player we are not going to get just to put the Giants into a bigger deficit. We probably haven't put that much time into Green and will have before us at pick 5 someone who we really like, and have put some time into. The AFL highlight video for Flanders is better than the previous I saw and I'm warming to taking him if he's available, even over players like Young and Ash. But any of those 3 would be okay.

I think the problem with our midfield is that it isn't just slow old JPK, there's also slow Parks and slow Hewett, so anyone we want to add in the short term needs to be quicker.

Longer term, I am also convinced that there is a strategy amongst our list management peeps to draft quicker players as this is the way the game is evolving. So we may never want to draft another JPK when we can draft a similar player that has a lot more speed.

Which could well be Ned Flanders... I'm coming around to him.

(This guarantees we bid on Green tomorrow)

I have to agree regarding the AFL highlight video of Flanders. I also watched a couple of his highlight videos from the NAB app and he certainly does some nice things around a stoppage. I’d be more than happy if his name was read out.

I’d also love to get greedy and trade up somehow to nab Cooper Stephens at around pick 19/20 or even greedier and trade next year’s first for Serong if he slid to 10+.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I will be very surprised if we do not not bid on Greene. I will be even more surprised if GWS don't match it!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Prepared to take Beatson at face value. Not known to be deceptive and has a very good reputation. Same with Harley and his comments re Daniher. Club is highly regarded through the integrity and character of its people. For me and many others I'm sure, it's a source of pride.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Of the Academy players listed there I would rate Barling the best of the lot

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Of the Academy players listed there I would rate Barling the best of the lot
    I agree with that. He may have played in the midfield at under age level (I don’t know) but at NEAFL level he showed a lot as a nippy small forward. More as an U18 age player than Wicks did as an U19 DS player, IMHO.

Veteran Site Admin
    I also quite liked bits of what I saw of Brewer, though he tended to float in and out of games. He may well benefit from a year in the development squad first.

2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I have to agree regarding the AFL highlight video of Flanders. I also watched a couple of his highlight videos from the NAB app and he certainly does some nice things around a stoppage. I’d be more than happy if his name was read out.

I’d also love to get greedy and trade up somehow to nab Cooper Stephens at around pick 19/20 or even greedier and trade next year’s first for Serong if he slid to 10+.
    Like this thinking , can’t wait to see what our recruiting team does tomorrow night. Haven’t been this keen for a draft since 2009 !

Which is consequently around the time I started lurking around this forum , joint a few months later !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk