Page 516 of 520 FirstFirst ... 16416466506512513514515516517518519520 LastLast
Results 6,181 to 6,192 of 6231

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

  1. #6181
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,456
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    That's OK if they actually come to Sydney. But what I am saying is there is a perception that a young lady may be lonely, miss family, miss their peers in Melbourne. The players are friendly too and yet the go home to Melbourne factor is still huge for players who go interstate. It is not so much of an issue for those from WA and SA.

    Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    Everyone is different and handle situations differently. I have a long time friend in Sydney whose son and his young family moved to Ballarat earlier this year for financial and lifestyle reasons. Was paying a kings ransom for rent in Newtown and they have lived in Sydney their whole lives (he is 37). After settling in his wife, who is a nurse, has picked up a job at the Ballarat Hospital without a problem. Best move they made. Also one of my Bikram Yoga instructors went to Queensland this year to further her studies and get into Vet Science, which she now has. She was prepared to leave home and follow her dream, and her husband went with her.

    Sometimes it is the fear of the unknown but once the move is made and people settle in things usually work out. However, it seems to me that unless things change we will lose Tom at the end of 2020.Will be interesting to see what his form is at the start of the year.

  2. #6182
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    4,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Everyone is different and handle situations differently. I have a long time friend in Sydney whose son and his young family moved to Ballarat earlier this year for financial and lifestyle reasons. Was paying a kings ransom for rent in Newtown and they have lived in Sydney their whole lives (he is 37). After settling in his wife, who is a nurse, has picked up a job at the Ballarat Hospital without a problem. Best move they made. Also one of my Bikram Yoga instructors went to Queensland this year to further her studies and get into Vet Science, which she now has. She was prepared to leave home and follow her dream, and her husband went with her.

    Sometimes it is the fear of the unknown but once the move is made and people settle in things usually work out. However, it seems to me that unless things change we will lose Tom at the end of 2020.Will be interesting to see what his form is at the start of the year.
    It's interesting that for someone who was feeling "lonely and unsettled" in Sydney, his form was career best this season.....on that score, he should have a blinder!

    Or will the almost guarantee of a season end transfer see him with less intensity? More likely this certainty and his natural personality will see him replicate that form next season.....which will make seeing him go all the more hard.

  3. #6183
    hmmmm......the critical two years when we lost so much experience.

    It will be fascinating to see what unfolds in 2020 and if we are as relaxed come mid season and finals when watching our bloods

    2019 DRAFT
    Dylan Stephens (Pick 5 AFL Draft)
    Will Gould (Pick 26 AFL Draft)
    Elijah Taylor (Pick 36 AFL Draft)
    Chad Warner (Pick 39 AFL Draft)
    Brady Rowles (Rookie)
    Jack Maibaum (Rookie)
    Michael Knoll (Mid Season Draft)

    2019 TRADES
    Sam Gray (DFA)
    Kaiden Brand (DFA)
    Lewis Taylor (The Swans traded draft picks 54 and 63 to Carlton, in exchange for pick 48, which was then on-traded to Brisbane)


    2018 DRAFT
    Nick Blakey (pick 10, AFL Draft) ...
    James Rowbottom (pick 25, AFL Draft) ...
    Justin McInerney (pick 44, AFL Draft) ...
    Zac Foot (pick 51, AFL Draft) ...
    Durak Tucker (pick 12, Rookie Draft)
    Harry Reynolds (pick 28, Rookie Draft)
    Sam Wicks (CatB)

    2018 TRADES
    Thurlow Pick70 and played 9 games for us in 2019
    Clarke Pick61 and played 14 games for us in 2019
    Menzel DFA and played 7 games for us in 2019
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"


  4. #6184
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    4,291
    Interesting article re: most prolific midfielders for the past decade.....

    Decade's best mids: The most prolific player revealed

    Here's the top three possession getters:

    6376 – Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
    6252 – Josh Kennedy (Sydney)*
    5779 – Joel Selwood (Geelong)

    * not sure what his average games per year is (he has had some injuries over that time and we played finals nine out of the ten years) but he would probably be averaging around 28 possessions a game over that time.....not bad at all.

    Here's the top three contested ball winners:

    3506 – Josh Kennedy (Sydney)*
    3256 – Patrick Dangerfield (Adelaide/Geelong)
    2780 – Joel Selwood (Geelong)

    *.....meaning way more than half of JPK's possessions are contested.

    Continuing with the top three for clearances:

    1587 – Josh Kennedy (Sydney)*
    1320 – Patrick Dangerfield (Adelaide/Geelong)
    1294 – Joel Selwood (Geelong)

    *what more can I say?

    ......but wait, there's more! Top three tacklers for the past decade:

    1262 – Matt Priddis (West Coast)
    1252 – Josh Kennedy (Sydney)*
    1241 – Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)

    *......

    The only 'top three' list he missed out on was 'hit outs'.....

    Well done JPK .....and who's surprised? A out and out champion.....and on these stats, the 'midfielder of the decade'......who I think can regain his best form this year. He looked ominously good towards the end of last season.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 29th December 2019 at 06:59 PM.

  5. #6185
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Interesting article re: most prolific midfielders for the past decade.....

    Decade's best mids: The most prolific player revealed

    Here's the top three possession getters:

    6376 – Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
    6252 – Josh Kennedy (Sydney)*
    5779 – Joel Selwood (Geelong)

    * not sure what his average games per year is (he has had some injuries over that time and we played finals nine out of the ten years) but he would probably be averaging around 28 possessions a game over that time.....not bad at all.

    Here's the top three contested ball winners:

    3506 – Josh Kennedy (Sydney)*
    3256 – Patrick Dangerfield (Adelaide/Geelong)
    2780 – Joel Selwood (Geelong)

    *.....meaning way more than half of JPK's possessions are contested.

    Continuing with the top three for clearances:

    1587 – Josh Kennedy (Sydney)*
    1320 – Patrick Dangerfield (Adelaide/Geelong)
    1294 – Joel Selwood (Geelong)

    *what more can I say?

    ......but wait, there's more! Top three tacklers for the past decade:

    1262 – Matt Priddis (West Coast)
    1252 – Josh Kennedy (Sydney)*
    1241 – Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)

    *......

    The only 'top three' list he missed out on was 'hit outs'.....

    Well done JPK .....and who's surprised? A out and out champion.....and on these stats, the 'midfielder of the decade'......who I think can regain his best form this year. He looked ominously good towards the end of last season.
    Fantastic player. Underrated by Victorian footy media. When he came to us, who knew that he would become such a gun.

  6. #6186
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast NSW, Costa Lantana
    Posts
    6,628
    Great figures stevoswan. Just goes to show that when fans talk about the team's backbone, there might be more than one meaning.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

  7. #6187
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    4,291
    Another 'Decade best' list, this time the decades best forwards.

    Decade's best forwards: It's not just all about Buddy

    But it pretty much was all about Buddy.....he topped the most goals kicked and most score involvement lists. No surprise there.

    The list with the biggest surprise was score assists.....look who's third:

    354 – Eddie Betts (Carlton/Adelaide)
    297 – Luke Breust (Hawthorn)
    290 – Kieren Jack (Sydney)

    Well done KJ......a few quieter final years make it easy to forget just how busy and creative he was in his prime years. A Champion Blood.

  8. #6188
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast NSW, Costa Lantana
    Posts
    6,628
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Another 'Decade best' list, this time the decades best forwards.

    Decade's best forwards: It's not just all about Buddy

    But it pretty much was all about Buddy.....he topped the most goals kicked and most score involvement lists. No surprise there.

    The list with the biggest surprise was score assists.....look who's third:

    354 – Eddie Betts (Carlton/Adelaide)
    297 – Luke Breust (Hawthorn)
    290 – Kieren Jack (Sydney)

    Well done KJ......a few quieter final years make it easy to forget just how busy and creative he was in his prime years. A Champion Blood.
    Good to be reminded where Kieren shone. Must respect Eddie Betts - daylight second, a great performer.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

  9. #6189
    If Tom hadn't asked for a ticket home, we would all be up-in-arms over his demotion from leadership responsibilities, such was the high standard he produced 2019. I think we all know the writing is on the wall now that Taylor and Gray have landed. If this logic continues we may see very little of Tom in 2020. Thanks for everything TP.

  10. #6190
    i think the opposite
    i realise Paps was one of the best small forwards in the comp which is hard to replicate...... but 2019 x 37 goals was via entries from a midfield that struggled
    paps has given himself every chance to play just as well in 2020 and some midfield time as well to replace some of jones role
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"


  11. #6191
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    4,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    If Tom hadn't asked for a ticket home, we would all be up-in-arms over his demotion from leadership responsibilities, such was the high standard he produced 2019. I think we all know the writing is on the wall now that Taylor and Gray have landed. If this logic continues we may see very little of Tom in 2020. Thanks for everything TP.
    Papley wasn't "demoted" he failed to get as many player votes as Mills and Buddy in a leadership group that was cut from 8 to 5, given the three Co-Captains are givens, that's cut from 5 to 2.

    I expect we'll see Papley provide us with a very similar season to this year, maybe even better, don't think the two players we picked up will affect Papley's TOG or effort.

  12. #6192
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Papley wasn't "demoted" he failed to get as many player votes as Mills and Buddy in a leadership group that was cut from 8 to 5, given the three Co-Captains are givens, that's cut from 5 to 2.

    I expect we'll see Papley provide us with a very similar season to this year, maybe even better, don't think the two players we picked up will affect Papley's TOG or effort.
    You could surmise that Papley will go to an even higher level this year to :
    1. Prove Carlton were wrong in not offerring even more for him
    2. Make him more attractive to other Melbourne clubs so that there is no way he is stranded again in Sydney at the end of next year.

    Also a year can be a long time in a young persons life and he may sort out his personal issues so that he doesnt need to go back.

    I cant see any motivation to lower his performance this year .

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO