Page 517 of 521 FirstFirst ... 17417467507513514515516517518519520521 LastLast
Results 6,193 to 6,204 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    You could surmise that Papley will go to an even higher level this year to :
    1. Prove Carlton were wrong in not offerring even more for him
    2. Make him more attractive to other Melbourne clubs so that there is no way he is stranded again in Sydney at the end of next year.

Also a year can be a long time in a young persons life and he may sort out his personal issues so that he doesnt need to go back.

I cant see any motivation to lower his performance this year .
    +1
    I'm so hoping the last statement comes to fruition!

I can see Paps having another useful season for us but the odds are that he will seek out again at the end of 2019. Hope that I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Yeah, we probably have to get used to the fact that we'll only have Paps skills for one more season.....and if he has a change of heart and does end up staying, it's a huge bonus.

I too see no reason for him to not improve on last years form......he still loves the Swans. It's Gray and Taylor who have to prove themselves.....

Veterans List
    Any injury update on Joe Daniher?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Any injury update on Joe Daniher?
    The last update I can find through google is that as of 17/12/19 he was no closer to retiring to full training, still battling the groin injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    no closer to retiring to full training

Freudian slip?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yeah, we probably have to get used to the fact that we'll only have Paps skills for one more season.....and if he has a change of heart and does end up staying, it's a huge bonus.

I too see no reason for him to not improve on last years form......he still loves the Swans. It's Gray and Taylor who have to prove themselves.....
    The key to retaining Papley will be can we free up some space in the salary cap to pay him close to what other clubs will offer him.

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    The key to retaining Papley will be can we free up some space in the salary cap to pay him close to what other clubs will offer him.

The key to retaining Papley is that he is already contracted. We don't have to trade him unless we want to and it is in our interests to do so. Not this year, and not next. That said, we do want to try to keep him happy.

As far as salary goes, I'm not too sympathetic because:

1. He is being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to do something he loves. (Even if he could be earning substantially more elsewhere he's still doing more than ok.)

2. He voluntarily entered the contract among other reasons because he was at the time, I imagine, delighted to get the security of such a long contract and such a big show of faith in him as a player by the club.

3. During the contract negotiations he was, I presume, represented by an agent of his choosing (or if he had none that was his choice also) who was qualified and resourced to make sure he got a fair offer and made an informed choice about whether or not to accept it.

4. When things go the other way and a player is injured or falls out of form, nobody seriously suggests that the player should take a pay cut because now they are worth less and they wouldn't be able to get the same salary elsewhere. This is not hypothetical at all. Think of players like Alex Johnson, Sam Naismith, Sam Reid, who have been paid a lot of money even while missing entire seasons (as of course they should be).

Swings and roundabouts. You make your bed, you lie in it. Etc. Insert your own favourite cliche here.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The key to retaining Papley is that he is already contracted. We don't have to trade him unless we want to and it is in our interests to do so. Not this year, and not next. That said, we do want to try to keep him happy.

As far as salary goes, I'm not too sympathetic because:

1. He is being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to do something he loves. (Even if he could be earning substantially more elsewhere he's still doing more than ok.)

2. He voluntarily entered the contract among other reasons because he was at the time, I imagine, delighted to get the security of such a long contract and such a big show of faith in him as a player by the club.

3. During the contract negotiations he was, I presume, represented by an agent of his choosing (or if he had none that was his choice also) who was qualified and resourced to make sure he got a fair offer and made an informed choice about whether or not to accept it.

4. When things go the other way and a player is injured or falls out of form, nobody seriously suggests that the player should take a pay cut because now they are worth less and they wouldn't be able to get the same salary elsewhere. This is not hypothetical at all. Think of players like Alex Johnson, Sam Naismith, Sam Reid, who have been paid a lot of money even while missing entire seasons (as of course they should be).

Swings and roundabouts. You make your bed, you lie in it. Etc. Insert your own favourite cliche here.
    Nicely put.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    If Tom hadn't asked for a ticket home, we would all be up-in-arms over his demotion from leadership responsibilities, such was the high standard he produced 2019. I think we all know the writing is on the wall now that Taylor and Gray have landed. If this logic continues we may see very little of Tom in 2020. Thanks for everything TP.
    There ain't no writing on the wall as far as I'm concerned.
    He is a better player than either Taylor or Grey.
    I'd say he will be selected ahead of both.
    As far as the logic continuing, i didn't notice it start.

Papley will be in the squad of 40 for All Australian selection. He's a premier small forward, and elite center clearance player. He'll take his game to another level next year, not to prove anyone wrong or increase value etc. But because he's a bloody good footballer on an upward trajectory, with a high ceiling and motivation.
    Whether we keep him for another year or not isn't really an issue. He's contracted, so we'd be compensated if we lose him.
    Gray and Taylor are not in his class, and never will be. And I don't think they're here as future replacements.

But, if we got a great year out of him, and he requested a trade again, and we got a fit Daniher in return (via a few trades of picks and players etc) then we're doing alright.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    But, if we got a great year out of him, and he requested a trade again, and we got a fit Daniher in return (via a few trades of picks and players etc) then we're doing alright.
    No need for trades. We’d get Daniher for nothing as a free agent.