Page 520 of 521 FirstFirst ... 20420470510516517518519520521 LastLast
Results 6,229 to 6,240 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    They won’t want to, but they have a tight salary cap ( supposedly even before Grundy signed on for 7 ) and have both Moore and DeGoey out of contract at season end. I can’t see them hanging onto both, unless one or both accepts big unders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They will hold onto them both and no1 in the media will take a second look at how they did it.

All you’ll hear is how great their list management is and will be applauded just like the current premiers did when obtaining Lynch.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Or brown paper bags. They will keep them both if they want to.
    Yep, clubs are creative with 3rd party deals and don't forget who is the President. Has many fingers in many Pies. I met Paul Williams at his work in the 90's before he came to Sydney and he was working a few hours in the morning in the office of a factory in Collingwood. Legitimate job, but I wondered how much he was getting paid.
    Also Collingwood already know what they are up for so I suspect talks started a long time ago. I would expect DeGoey to leave before Moore.

Yes the third party agreements are the big weakness with the salary cap in my view and greatly advantage the big clubs who have more opportunities in this regard. It really surprises me that they are allowed. They should be inside the salary cap not outside of it. It's not a level playing field!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Reading back over this thread, The Chad was the least lauded of our recriting haul. And now, he's the only real gain from that intake.
    5 Dylan Stephens
    26 Will Gould
    36 Elijah Taylor
    39 Chad Warner
    It's funny how things work out.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    It’s a weird draft. Shapes as having a sensational top ten or so (best players, not top ten picks) and maybe another decent dozen after that. But lots of misses and only a handful of good players after the first round, of which we thankfully have one. You look at who was taken between Gould and Warner and there’s no much to regret. Trent Rivers probably the main one (with Coleman not really available).

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Wasn't really thinking about whether we missed anyone, (maybe Frederick or Close) just the way perceptions change with hindsight.
    After Gould there are an awful lot of misses, maybe drafting is getting more "scientific"?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Frederick is a strange one. Both he and his twin brother were eligible to join Port as NGA players. They listed his brother Martin, and left Michael on the table. Martin was in and out of the system pretty quickly, while Michael has become a damaging player (and it's not like he had a long incubation period before he became a regular). Port had them both under their nose and chose the wrong one!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Reading back over this thread, The Chad was the least lauded of our recriting haul. And now, he's the only real gain from that intake.
    5 Dylan Stephens
    26 Will Gould
    36 Elijah Taylor
    39 Chad Warner
    It's funny how things work out.
    Even taking into account the mid season draft of that year (Knoll, Hirst) the free agent signings (Brand, Gray) the trade (Lewis Taylor) and the rookie draft (Brady Rowles and Maibaum), Category B rookie (BOC) the Chad is still the only one left standing. 1/12 is a poor strike rate but that 1 by itself was a big time hit

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Even taking into account the mid season draft of that year (Knoll, Hirst) the free agent signings (Brand, Gray) the trade (Lewis Taylor) and the rookie draft (Brady Rowles and Maibaum), Category B rookie (BOC) the Chad is still the only one left standing. 1/12 is a poor strike rate but that 1 by itself was a big time hit
    Funny how much of it is in the mind too.

Chad wasn't the explosive player he is now, but made himself one and has a clear-eyed dedication to improvement and fulfilling his potential, and relishes the big moment.

Whereas Dylan's head got in the way of his talent and he seemed to shrink into himself, and Taylor - well, that's well chronicled.

He wasted his career. I still remember a kick in (I think) his second game, where he'd taken a mark on the wing just in front of the away team's interchange bench, heading to the Paddington end, where he swung inside and nailed a flat, 40m bullet to a leading Sam Reid that threaded about six players to get there. It was the sort of kick that'd make Errol jealous.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Was just listening to a Hanners' interview on trade radio.

Got asked about the 2016 GF, and while delivered in his usually cheery way of 'don't wanna blame the umpires' but . . . bang. Didn't win a free for 2 and 1/2 quarters, one-sided penalty count, got smashed by umps, were stiffed. Hahaha.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

Got asked about the 2016 GF, and while delivered in his usually cheery way of 'don't wanna blame the umpires' but . . . bang. Didn't win a free for 2 and 1/2 quarters, one-sided penalty count, got smashed by umps, were stiffed. Hahaha.
    Nailed it Hanners!

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

Good on Hanners for calling out what we all know. He has reason to be more pissed then most - that day effectively stuffed the rest of his career. Never the same after that match.

@@@@ the fairypuppies.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."