Page 52 of 521 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Apparently Essendon were pretty angry that we took Knoll. They were keen as their own ruck stocks are depleted. Cal Twomey and co on their podcast were observing some of the fallout when we picked up Grassy at pick 4.
    haha gold. goes for 2 mins starting at 10.45 here:
    https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=377456

The importance of a ruckman is pretty overrated IMO. West Coast won a flag without Naitanui all of last year, and the Bulldogs won a flag in 2016 without a quality ruckman either.
    Every now and then you get a freak like Grundy or Cox, but those are extremely rare.
    If Knoll can play a role and hold his own against some of the better rucks in the comp that's more than we can ask for - plus this will allow Sinclair to play forward where he can make a bigger impact.

With that all said, I doubt many of the players drafted last night will play many games for their clubs.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I don't understand the listing of ruckmen that continually includes Amartey and McLean. They are both 197 and under the desirable 100kg mark. I haven't been impressed with Amartey as a ruck man in the few ressies games I've watched. I think he could have a career as a 2nd or 3rd tall kicking goals along the lines of Sam Reid, but he will have to improve his kicking.

I'm pleased that we've picked up Knoll. He is big enough to hold his own with the larger ruckmen which is something the gallant and big-hearted Sinclair can't manage. My main hope with Knoll is that he manages to avoid injuries; if he can, I then hope we can see him have a crack at the big boys. Sinkers can play forward and help out in the ruck.
    Well said, all good points.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeynez View Post
    The importance of a ruckman is pretty overrated IMO.
    Or possibly underrated. . . . IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Maybe we are getting rid of Naismith and Cameron???

Both have had plenty of time to show their wares and failed; one though repeated injury and another just not getting a chance in the seniors!
    Maybe Cameron and Amartey. Both are out of contract at the end of this year. Naismith is on the books until 2021.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I don't understand the listing of ruckmen that continually includes Amartey and McLean. They are both 197 and under the desirable 100kg mark. I haven't been impressed with Amartey as a ruck man in the few ressies games I've watched. I think he could have a career as a 2nd or 3rd tall kicking goals along the lines of Sam Reid, but he will have to improve his kicking.

I'm pleased that we've picked up Knoll. He is big enough to hold his own with the larger ruckmen which is something the gallant and big-hearted Sinclair can't manage. My main hope with Knoll is that he manages to avoid injuries; if he can, I then hope we can see him have a crack at the big boys. Sinkers can play forward and help out in the ruck.
    Di, i think you can be assured the Joel will easily surpass the 100KG mark next year. He is clearly still growing. But I agree, more of a forward ruck.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    Nice that Dodo and Co. were mad we took Knoll. I have a good feeling about this (free) selection

What has gone wrong with Darcy Cameron? The Swans extended him early on, and yet he's only ever played that one disastrous game. He's big enough, has allegedly a huge tank, can mark and kick goals. So why doesn't he ever get a game?

One thing that seems to have gone through to the keeper is our lack of key position defenders. We only have Aliir, Melican, Rampe and Pink with Maibaum out for the season and Reg retired. With the recruitment of Knolls, does that free Amartey to be tried as a KP defender? He's so far down the pecking order as a ruck / forward that perhaps it would be doing him a favour playing him down back?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    What has gone wrong with Darcy Cameron? The Swans extended him early on, and yet he's only ever played that one disastrous game. He's big enough, has allegedly a huge tank, can mark and kick goals. So why doesn't he ever get a game?
    I can only assume one of 2 things:
    1) He regularly gets beaten by Sinclair at training
    2) Has a bad as attitude and doesn't fit into a team environment.
    My bet is 1 given there's no evidence for 2.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Nice that Dodo and Co. were mad we took Knoll. I have a good feeling about this (free) selection
    It's not really free. Every team gets a pick so if you stuff it up, every team has moved ahead of you (or caught up)

There's a brilliant video that the swans shared on their Facebook page of young Cody Hirst at home with family and friends watching the draft on TV and getting extremely emotional when drafted! Brilliant to watch and thrilled for the young fella to realise his dream!

His mum posted another video in the comments from a different angle too that's as good if not better!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Di, i think you can be assured the Joel will easily surpass the 100KG mark next year. He is clearly still growing. But I agree, more of a forward ruck.
    We'll see I guess; or as someone else suggested, perhaps we could see how he goes as a defender.
    And my R&W name is pronounced dim-melb, initials followed by a trimmed Melbourne. M, not F!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)