Page 80 of 521 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130180 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Read Judd's comment re interim coach David Teague. Quoted as saying he had no chance and they don't want a coach with trainer wheels on. Silly stuff. Even if true you don't have to say it and crush the guy who the players seem to be playing for. Let him apply and see what he has. Support him publically but don't make any commitment.

He's has always been given eveything on a plate. It shows in his aloof and entitled attitude. Thankfully we don't have people like that at the Swans.
    The Blues could have already made that clear to Teague. I think Judd was being refreshingly honest.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The Blues could have already made that clear to Teague. I think Judd was being refreshingly honest.
    I don't have any issue with Judd's comments either

Back on topic, who do we think we might land/who should we be targeting with our early pick this year? No academy shenanigans to cloud the issue so hopefully we make use of what should be our first real top 5 pick for a while

Have you read about the AFL changing the pick swap rules for this years draft to prevent anyone doing a swifty like we did for the Lizzard?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Hey Liz

Not 100% sure Re RFA for Cunningham?

The list out of contract end of 2019 updated

Colin O'Riordan
    Cody Hirst
    Daniel Menzel
    Darcy Cameron
    Durak Tucker
    Harry Cunningham RFA
    Harry Reynolds signed one year extension
    Hayden McLean
    Heath Grundy UFA RETIRED
    Jack Maibaum
    Jackson Thurlow
    James Bell
    James Rose
    Jarrad McVeigh UFA
    Joel Amartey
    Kieren Jack UFA
    Kurt Tippett
    Michael Knoll
    Nick Smith UFA
    Robbie Fox
    Ryan Clarke
    Sam Wicks
    Toby Pink
    Zak Jones

——-

Probably moving on?

Hirst
    Menzel
    Cameron
    Grundy
    Maibaum
    Jack
    Tippett
    McVeigh
    Smith
    Fox
    I'm fairly certain we offered Menzel a two year contract. Likewise, would be surprised if Clarke came over on 1 year contract?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    I'm fairly certain we offered Menzel a two year contract. Likewise, would be surprised if Clarke came over on 1 year contract?
    Agree with you on Clarke, but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Menzel only got an initial one year offer.

Edit: I just did a quick search, and media outlets reported back last year that he joined on a one year deal (Menzel, that is). Here's one example of a media report

https://www.3aw.com.au/daniel-menzel...-sydney-swans/

Quote Originally Posted by Molly dooker View Post
    Have you read about the AFL changing the pick swap rules for this years draft to prevent anyone doing a swifty like we did for the Lizzard?
    No. I think they'd be challenging to write.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Agree with you on Clarke, but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Menzel only got an initial one year offer.

Edit: I just did a quick search, and media outlets reported back last year that he joined on a one year deal (Menzel, that is). Here's one example of a media report

Daniel Menzel joins the Sydney Swans
    OK, surprised at that as I thought the Cats had offered him a year. Get the view from recent comments from Longmire that he thinks he's only just finding his way after an interrupted pre-season, so may yet get another year(if horse is still coach!). Guess next few months will tell the story.

Take a look at the SMH website, go to Sport and then AFL link and you can read it for youself.

I tried to post hyperlink but failed, sorry.

Here is the article, which says they intend to stop Swans style pick swapping, but doesn’t explain how they’d identify it as different from other pick swaps.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...10-p525yi.html

Veterans List
    Ken Wood has to approve pick swaps so anything he thinks "smells" he won't approve. I think our swifty last year caught the AFL by surprise but they allowed it to go throw but at the time said that "loophole" would be closed for future drafts.

There are some highly talented players that will be available at our pick which will probably be in the 5-8 range you'd reckon. Read the profiles of them and you'd be happy with any of them, full confidence we'll get a very good player and there's still a lot to like in the low 20s where the Saints second we hold will fall.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I don't have any issue with Judd's comments either

Back on topic, who do we think we might land/who should we be targeting with our early pick this year? No academy shenanigans to cloud the issue so hopefully we make use of what should be our first real top 5 pick for a while
    Lachie Ash is the player we need: we need speed of the half back line, where most goals are set up from nowadays.

186cm/80kg
    Vic Country/Murray Bushrangers
    Defender

Ash brings the dash. The speedy half-back lights up games with his line-breaking pace from defence. We saw that during the carnival at the MCG against Vic Metro when he darted through traffic on an 80-metre run, and again in the frantic final quarter win over South Australia, when it was Ash's brilliant get-and-go that kept Country in the game. Ash is strong and clever and can also shut down an opponent in a role that is highly regarded by AFL clubs.
    doof-doof

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    And there is talk that God Coast will get a priority pick but will have to use it on mature players.

They have enough young kids, but it the retention of those kids which is the problem.

We have lots of players we can send north; Fox, Smith, Rose etc.

Anything to get another first rounder!
    doof-doof