Page 427 of 521 FirstFirst ... 327377417423424425426427428429430431437477 ... LastLast
Results 5,113 to 5,124 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    Have been watching Delahunty for a couple of years, he is a very good player, with lots of upside.
    He maybe the reason they want to get green early . I dont think Delahunty will go that low in the draft but leaves GWS in a good position should anyone go after him after they take Green.

This article explains the roles of recruiting managers and distinguishes their roles from the 'list manager': So you want to be an AFL recruiter? Here's how it can be done - AFL.com.au. Recruiting managers are described as having "the final call" on who the team drafts. Our 'recruiting manager' is Simon Dalrymple. The implication is that when it comes to drafting specifically, his say counts for more than KB's. Possibly the roles vary from club to club and it might be different at the Swans. I am slightly surprised because I thought of SD as KB's 'right hand man', so to speak and didn't realise that SD would have overriding responsibility for drafting decisions. So maybe it's different at the Swans. Or, possibly, KB used to have this responsibility before SD joined the club and now he still has a key role but is more focused on trade? This would fit, given that SD is senior and experienced in his own right and made a name for himself with some excellent drafting work at the Bulldogs.

There have been rumours that KB might replace SOS at Carlton. Hopefully this is just a rumour. If it's true, could a diminished role for KB at the Swans have played a role in him seeking work elsewhere?

It would be interesting to understand better the differences between the roles of KB, SD and Charlie Gardiner. CG evidently had an important role during the trade period along with KB.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    He maybe the reason they want to get green early . I dont think Delahunty will go that low in the draft but leaves GWS in a good position should anyone go after him after they take Green.
    What do you mean? I don't follow. The later in the draft that Green goes, the better for the Giants, especially if they want to draft Delahunty too and may need to match a bid for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    This article explains the roles of recruiting managers and distinguishes their roles from the 'list manager': So you want to be an AFL recruiter? Here's how it can be done - AFL.com.au. Recruiting managers are described as having "the final call" on who the team drafts. Our 'recruiting manager' is Simon Dalrymple. The implication is that when it comes to drafting specifically, his say counts for more than KB's. Possibly the roles vary from club to club and it might be different at the Swans. I am slightly surprised because I thought of SD as KB's 'right hand man', so to speak and didn't realise that SD would have overriding responsibility for drafting decisions. So maybe it's different at the Swans. Or, possibly, KB used to have this responsibility before SD joined the club and now he still has a key role but is more focused on trade? This would fit, given that SD is senior and experienced in his own right and made a name for himself with some excellent drafting work at the Bulldogs.

There have been rumours that KB might replace SOS at Carlton. Hopefully this is just a rumour. If it's true, could a diminished role for KB at the Swans have played a role in him seeking work elsewhere?

It would be interesting to understand better the differences between the roles of KB, SD and Charlie Gardiner. CG evidently had an important role during the trade period along with KB.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean? I don't follow. The later in the draft that Green goes, the better for the Giants, especially if they want to draft Delahunty too and may need to match a bid for him.
    I think a Recruiting Manager is in charge of recruitment (new players), so the buck stops with them as far as recruiting goes. BUT they work under the list manager, who is in charge of the bigger picture... So KB says he wants a tall forward, it's SD's job (and responsibility) to find that person.

Michael Agresta, ex Swans is now working at Carlton, so there is a connection there to lure KB. It may be that the Swans brought in SD expecting that KB would want to move on sometime - i.e. he is being groomed as his successor.

- - - Updated - - -

GWS moving up the draft makes no sense if they want to match a bid on Green. It will be a failure unless they get a player before Green or they pass on him.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Jack Martin is demanding a 5 year deal, including $1m in 2020! He 's expected to walk to Carlton with this demand. I'm now wondering if this will increase Carlton's cap squeeze to the point where they won't able to make another attract offer to Papley next year?

AFL 2020, Jack Martin Carlton, Gold Coast, Melbourne, AFL off-season 2019, AFL Draft, AFL rookie draft, trade period | Fox Sports
    Geeze, if Martin's worth that, what would Papley be expecting Carlton to come up with.....he's way better than Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Geeze, if Martin's worth that, what would Papley be expecting Carlton to come up with.....he's way better than Martin.
    I presume its designed to scare everyone else off. I would like to know whether it works like a RFA - that is Carlton have to actually meet his demands, and stick to them, rather than just be used as a tactic. Does anyone know how it works?

Lachie Ash highlights | Draft Prospect | 2019 | AFL - YouTube

If we took lachie ash in the draft who is a very quick but strong fast cut off 187cm defender would he start in 2020 or at least play 15 games plus off HBF ?

Mills came into the starting team as a first year player off HBF and is not as good as Ash off HBF in his draft year

I suspect Ash could make our 22 in his first year and be a better player the Mills in his first year

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I suspect Ash could make our 22 in his first year and be a better player the Mills in his first year
    Really? I reckon Mills is a gun. Here's an interesting thing Mills 189cm 83cm. Paul Roos, an all time legend centre half back 188cm 88cm,

I know i am in the minority but i love Mills just where he is - and I love Heeney playing as a forward.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Hey legs

My post above said at the same age

Mills in his first year was serviceable in the backline

Ash appears to be a fair way ahead as HBF at the same age ie 18yrs old

If that is the way we go

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Strangely enough the players that get homesick for Melbourne, always seem to get homesick for a single club in Melbourne. Which makes the whole thing complete BS even without the increase in salary that a change of club always entails. And yes it works both ways, a player that proclaims his desire to escape Melbourne's intrusive media and play for the Swans looks just as ingenuous when the move is accompanied by a monster pay packet.

In the case of players moving back to Melbourne, it' not just the pay rise they will get from their new club, there's far more opportunities to profit in the Melbourne goldfish bowl. More 3rd party agreements, more sponsorship money, more media appearances, more free coffees, more being treated like a demi-god wherever you go, all of which must appeal to both the avaricious and the narcissistic hot-house brats that the elite under age sport industry seems to churn out.

I need a cup of tea and a lie down.
    Yep

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Don't forget the Bex.
    I am bex

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Don't forget the Bex.
    I am bex

Veterans List

It was reported that Carlton had their sights on KB.....not that he was "seeking work elsewhere". Big difference!

Veterans List
    Hey legs

If that is the way we go
    You're comparing a player at AFL level playing against men in a cut throat comp to a player against skinny kids at the unaccountable U18 level?

Get a grip Auntie, waaaaaaay more difficult at AFL level. Ash is not in pick 5/6 discussion I'd suggest.

If you're comparing their U18 years, Mills was a midfielder and injured and from memory put on ice for the season

Hey legs

If that is the way we go
    Serviceable? Did he not win the rising star award ? More than serviceable I would’ve thought. He slotted straight it into a defence that nearly won a flag and was awarded the gong for the best young player in the comp in the process. As a speedy running type half back, yes he looks better at that than Mills but thats comparing apples and oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk