Page 429 of 521 FirstFirst ... 329379419425426427428429430431432433439479 ... LastLast
Results 5,137 to 5,148 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Let's hope we uncover some '1994 like' jewels in the draft this year, even if picks 2 and 3 from that year pissed off back to Victoria pretty quickly. Check the gem we got at pick 40 and the bonus 'zone selection'!

The golden Swans of 1994 - sydneyswans.com.au

Today is another delisting deadline for teams. It will be interesting how many teams add to their delistings.

Agree he is not a top 10 pick but more like a top 30 pick. (Delahunty that is)

If I'm not mistaked, Delahunty was rated pretty highly in his underage year, but seems to have dropped off in 2019. It happens with young guys and I'd imagine he'll be in that 30-40 range. It will be interesting to see how Gulden and Campbell develop for us as their underage years have been really strong, and they could go either way in 2020. As they're both a bit small I doubt they'll crack the top 10 but they seem to be pretty talented and I look forward to them running around in the red and white.

Because of the two of them being available to us in 2020 I also think we'll see the Swans trade out of the draft as soon as we've got 2 or 3 players to start stockpiling points for those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dazedjosh View Post
    Ok so if we bid on Green at 5 they will almost undoubtedly match because it effectively costs them nothing and gains them nothing. To match a bid the team matching gets a 20% discount on the points required. This system is being reviewed for future drafts but is still in place.
    So we bid on Green at 5 that means 1878 - 376 (20%) = 1502
    Pick 6 is worth 1751 so they can match 1502 and 249 points remaining, meaning they would get Green and pick 52 in return.

So they will definitely match because at that point they might as well. They won't get two top 10 picks like they hope, but not matching would mean that a crosstown rival gets the player that they have developed.
    First, if GWS use pick 6 to match the a bid for Green by us at pick 5, they don't get back pick 52 as 'change'. They just lose the points difference.

Second, although I think failing to get a pick in before a bid for Green makes for a trade period disaster for the Giants, I think they will still match the bid but I hold some hope that they won't. They are already very well stocked for inside mids and it would mean their whole strategy of trading picks 12 and 18 for pick 6 (at a cost of MANY hundreds of 'draft value points') will not necessarily prove to be a flawed and and poorly executed strategy ending in farce. Although, losing a top end talent from their own Academy would remain a disaster whichever way you slice it, which is why I expect them to match. I still think the Giants are likely to trade up the order somehow and at (additional) great expense. Time will tell.

I am slightly warming to Flanders. After initially being dismayed after seeing his 'highlights' package, I am being swayed by all the people who oughta know talking him up real high. I hope the Crows take him and we can pick someone else better. But if they don't, and we wind up with him, I'll try to stay optimistic. Not sure how I feel about us drafting Jackson if we get the opportunity. Probably I will just reserve judgment and hope he comes good down the track. Not too keen on Robertson. Don't think we should risk Kemp given our recent run with injured players. Young would be good. Serong seems to be sliding. Ash?

Quote Originally Posted by dazedjosh View Post
    If I'm not mistaked, Delahunty was rated pretty highly in his underage year, but seems to have dropped off in 2019. It happens with young guys and I'd imagine he'll be in that 30-40 range. It will be interesting to see how Gulden and Campbell develop for us as their underage years have been really strong, and they could go either way in 2020. As they're both a bit small I doubt they'll crack the top 10 but they seem to be pretty talented and I look forward to them running around in the red and white.

Because of the two of them being available to us in 2020 I also think we'll see the Swans trade out of the draft as soon as we've got 2 or 3 players to start stockpiling points for those guys.
    Can happen with big guys as they may be dominating at the underage level mainly because of their size and then when the field starts to catch up , other shortcomings may become apparent (such as lack of pace, kicking ability , ground ball ability and contested marking). Not sure if Delahunty falls into this basket but this has happened with Rayner this year from the Swans academy.

Cant see it happening with Gulden and Campbell. They arent getting any smaller and they have proven that there size hasnt been an issue so far.

Apparently we are considering Ollie Florent's younger brother, Jai, and he will train with us: Family ties could see another speed demon land at Swans - AFL.com.au. Also confirmation that Hebron, Bartholomaeus and Aidyn Johnson are all currently training with us (as I reported last week).

Not sure on the whole younger brother thing - in my experience younger brothers of drafted players generally get a bigger legup in junior years because of it, so if he hasnt broken into the dragons lineup late this year (as the brother of a well regarded player like Ollie) , really have to question the merit of taking him unless there is someone (other than just being Ollies brother) that the Swans see that his local coaches havent.

If you consider that his current coaches arent going to come out and say "We dont rate him, hes nowhere near as good as his brother" the rather diplomatic response to me doesnt really give me confidence.

Interesting
    At my school and sports I payed the younger brothers killed t because they had t contend wth their older brothers day in day out

Examples in the AFL of both older or younger brother being better

Do like the idea of Johnson being given a shot

I would prefer him Fighting for a spot in our HBF rotation ......a little like the genius move made by Clarkson with a Johnson’s ex team mate Impey

Super quick Aidyn

Running off Dawson, AA, Rampe and our silent cop Mills lol

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I’m definitely hoping GWS will not match a bid for Green.
    Green, smeen.
    I'm definitely hoping we trade picks with GWS. It's the chance for a deal of a lifetime.

Green looks a good prospect. However, I'm not convinced he will get anywhere near a regular AFL spot anytime soon. Giants have Ward, Hopper, Kelly, Coniglio, Whitfield, Perryman, de Boer, Hately, Caldwell and Shipley all ahead of him. Plus Williams, Greene and Kennedy all can play mid. If he does crack an AFL spot, it will mean guys like Hately and Caldwell will be looking for opportunity at season's end when their initial contracts expire.

So I guess what I'm saying is that we should be able to get ourselves a good one from GWS at the end of 2020. Thus not too bummed at the thought of missing out on Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Green looks a good prospect. However, I'm not convinced he will get anywhere near a regular AFL spot anytime soon. Giants have Ward, Hopper, Kelly, Coniglio, Whitfield, Perryman, de Boer, Hately, Caldwell and Shipley all ahead of him. Plus Williams, Greene and Kennedy all can play mid. If he does crack an AFL spot, it will mean guys like Hately and Caldwell will be looking for opportunity at season's end when their initial contracts expire.

So I guess what I'm saying is that we should be able to get ourselves a good one from GWS at the end of 2020. Thus not too bummed at the thought of missing out on Green.
    You omitted Taranto from the Giants list of midfielders, but that's beside the point. They have already invested around 350 value points to move up to pick 6, which will go to waste unless they can secure Green plus a 2nd top 5 pick. If they were just after Green, they could have held on to picks 12+18.

Now they find themselves in a bit of a dilemma, not knowing if they can still trade up and who to try to trade with. It's likely to cost them another 350 extra points or so to do this 2nd leg of the trade up. I think they know that we will bid on Green, so that's one trade I can see them making if it comes to that. I don't think Green is the best fit for either Melbourne or Adelaide, so the Giants may have to risk that neither will bid on Green, although Melbourne have a history of bidding on academy players. There's nearly a 500 point differential moving from pick 6 to pick 3 and surely Melbourne would want a few hundred extra to accommodate GWS, which would make the whole transaction a very costly exercise.

We will see if the Giants can find a way to avoid shafting themselves yet again. Lucky they were given so many concessions by the AFL, since they've pissed away enough talent to make an all star team over their short existence.