Page 333 of 521 FirstFirst ... 233283323329330331332333334335336337343383433 ... LastLast
Results 3,985 to 3,996 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Had an on my bike ride today. Plenty of time to think on tranquil rice paddy roads. It goes like this:

1. We finish all our other trades: Papley, Jones, Cameron, Taylor.
    2. It's Wednesday morning and we tell Dodo that whatever offer we made, it's now off the table.
    3. The clock runs out. Daniher remains contracted to Essendon.
    4. Thursday: Daniher announces he's quitting the club and will stay out of football in 2020 and get his body right.
    5. Meanwhile, the Swans have told Joe that the $800,000 salary lost is not lost at all, but we will add 200k a year to the contract we already offered to him for the next 4 years, 2021-2024, so he is not out of pocket. This money will come from the savings of not having to pay Daniher in 2020.
    6. Daniher walks to the Swans for nothing (Mummy signing) after the draft next year.
    7. Dodo gets sacked.
    8. Matthew Lloyd has his Essendon life membership rescinded.
    9. A desperate EFC hire Ludwig on a million dollar contract to fix up their footy club.
    10. Ludwig changes the name of the club to the Bangkok Bombers and moves the club to Thailand.
    11. Ludwig wins Nobel Prize for literature after writing the book: Too Much Dope, Too Many Dopes : The Saga of The Essendon Football Club.
    That's way more than one idea!

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Eddie Betts returns to Carlton for a future fourth-round pick.

Crow no more: Eddie makes fairytale return to Carlton
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    That's way more than one idea!
    Not for Ludwig.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Eddie Betts returns to Carlton for a future fourth-round pick.

Crow no more: Eddie makes fairytale return to Carlton
    Meaning Adelaide are paying his salary.

Ludwig
    I’ve been wondering how much Essendon have been taking into account the possibility of JD stepping out for a year in 2020

No doubt it has been thought of by JD and his manager and no doubt the swans management also

If JD came up to Sydney to see the same dr that buddy, JpK, hannes and Menzel have used Re groin surgery etc you would think that JD is ready to rock come jan feb next year so unlikely needing to sit out a season

If it was an ACL this season then it would be totally real that 2020 could be a sit out year
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 14th October 2019 at 03:44 PM.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Very sensible Ludwig, sense unfortunately in very short supply at Essendon.

Walk away Swans
    Yes Swans walk away now!! Pick 5 , pick 25, Blakey, Parker, fiorent, McCartin all for a hack that Dr Larkins believes may never play again! End Talks now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rupert Wills - collingwoodfc.com.au

Aish and wills rumoured to be able to move on to free up sal cap

Don’t mind the little I have seen of wills
    Pick 62 taken by pies

We could offer the same I believe and would be a good bullocking inside mid role at 192cm tall and 88kg

13, 12 and 10 tackles in three of his games last year and 26yrs of age is a nice mix for us into our young list

Deepens the midfield and allows another player like Hewett more freedom to not tag as much
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 14th October 2019 at 04:09 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Rupert Wills - collingwoodfc.com.au

Aish and wills rumoured to be able to move on to free up sal cap

Don’t mind the little I have seen of wills
    Pick 62 taken by pies

We could offer the same I believe and would be a good bullocking inside mid role at 192cm tall and 88kg

13 tackles in a game last year !
    Good fit for us, cheap to a good home too :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    If the club facilitates this trade, all involved should resign if Daniher does not play the bulk of the next 2 seasons, kicks 60 goals / season and we win a flag. No excuses and we as supporters should hold them to account.
    Well your going to be disappointed when we offer them 5 and 9 in a couple of days! Lol.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

I am somewhat reassured to read that Lloyd says we are offering picks 5 & 25. While I think that is probably overs and at the outer upper limit of what we should be offering, I think it shows we have made a fair offer and it makes me think we are not about to do something silly and hopefully the trade falls over.

Overall I think the trade should not go ahead and that it does not make sense. I understand why EFC are resisting and I disagree that they shouldn't be. JD is worth more to them than he is to us. We have Buddy and Reid and McCartin and Blakey and Sinclair and others below them (McLean, Amartey etc.) that can play as a KPF which is a lot more than what they have. They can hold on to JD for another year, try to get him "to fall back in love with the club", hope that he is has another standout season that (a) helps them in 2020 while they advance their plan B; and (b) drives up his trade value and then still force us to trade for him next year if they can't get him to change his mind. It is up to us to present them with a better offer if we expect them to let him go now and it would be irresponsible of us to do so because he is not worth as much to us.

The whole thing is being driven by Daniher (and our desire to see if we can get such a good player in the door). EFC are within their rights to tell us #@$! off and that just means we have to wait until next year. Daniher has done nothing wrong by asking and I expect he has raised it now because he would like to get out now and doesn't want to spend another year there. But he has to accept that the deal just might not be doable and he may just have to stick it out. It will be a pity if that means he changes his mind about us. It would be awesome if he took up the suggestion to sit out a year although I doubt that is seriously being contemplated by any of the relevant stakeholders (including JD) - but you never know.

The trading in of Taylor does give me the impression we are likely to trade Papley. I don't think we should be giving up pick 25 for him. I agree with liz that players with no upside, outside their club's best 22, may be good gets but they don't have much trade value - think Newman and Rohan last year. Again, I hope we don't trade Papley but not looking promising. I especially hope we don't trade him for less than pick 9.

Finally, Wills and Aish look well worth considering although it seems Freo have gotten in quickly for Aish. I don't know much about Wills but sounds like the type of player we should be looking at getting in the door.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. Regardless of how much we pay for JD don't agree we need a flag to justify the trade. I don't like this logic any more when it is applied to Buddy's recruitment either. Just because a lot is spent (in cap space or picks) for a single player doesn't mean they owe us a premiership. We are still competing against the same competition with the same salary cap as the rest.

I can't see a spot for Wills in the Swans midfield. Other than size, he's not really a JPK replacement. I'd rather pursue getting both Cutler and Taylor from Brisbane for perhaps picks 25 and 54, but we need to wait for the the Jones deal to get done first.

If we go to the draft with 2 top 10 picks, we should be real solid with new midfield talent coming this year and next. We do need to add some more quality midfielders, but we have some good midfield talent on the list already and there will be more to come. If we piss away 2 first rounders for Daniher, it will put a bit of dent in those plans.

Does Carlton signing Eddie Betts impact on Papley trade, at least with the Blues? Do they need three new small forwards (Betts, Martin, Papley). Maybe they'd rather wait another season and have another go next year? In which case how hard do we explore with North or whoever else?