Page 434 of 521 FirstFirst ... 334384424430431432433434435436437438444484 ... LastLast
Results 5,197 to 5,208 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Yeah. Difficult to know. I was of the opinion that Jackson was going to Melbourne.
    I think GWS's motives is two top 10 players. If they are flexible on who the other one is, they can take green and him.
    If, on the other hand they want a specific player, then it's harder for them.

In this sort of play, it's better to take "best available", because who knows how they are going to turn out.

If they really want Jackson, and so do Melbourne, then GWS will trade pick 6 for Melbourne's pick 3, rather than us. The match green with whatever they have left.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    ??
    Obviously there's not enough Swans 'shirts off' photo's being released to entertain during the long trade period and Annie's getting restless.....

AFL draft 2019: Best state league mature-age draft prospects from VFL, SANFL, NEAFL, WAFL, Jake Riccardi, Luke Partington, Ben Sokol, Angus Baker | Fox Sports

Interesting article. Like the look of Partington and Bolton from that list. I wonder though if they have already had a crack at the AFL whether that means they are not up to it?

Marlion and Kelly had never actually had a go so I wonder whether it's mature agers who have never had a go at the top level are the ones who should really be looked at. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a delisted player who goes back to the lower level, then returns to the AFL to tear it up.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Off the top of my head, I can't think of a delisted player who goes back to the lower level, then returns to the AFL to tear it up.
    Depends what you mean by "tear it up". Off the top of my head, Sam Menegola, James Podsiadly, Sam Rowe, and Andrew Krakouer are a handful of examples of players who have carved out respectable AFL careers after an initial AFL listing, followed by a period in one of the state leagues. In Krakouer's case, he also spent some time in jail between AFL stints. I daresay there are other examples out there.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Barry I think we have different plans. I'm not sure either of them are as great as we think!

Yours is to swap our 5 for GWS' 6 plus a sweetener (but their next pick is in the 40s so wouldn't materially improve our draft position unless we can package it with others to move up). I think the only way it would work is if GWS include a future pick for 2020. So say our 5 becomes 6 plus a future second rounder

Mine is to keep our 5, bid on Green with it (assuming that Melbourne / Adelaide don't beat us to it), and then let GWS swap their pick 6 for our lower picks with a higher points value (which they then use to match the bid). The problem with that plan is that our other picks (25, 32 + 44) add up to less points than pick 6, so we'd have to get a 2020 future pick involved. But if GWS would do the deal with us, then we'd end up with picks 6 and 7 in the draft. This would mean our 25, 32 and a future second rounder become pick 7
    Stop if I am wrong, but I thought you could not trade future picks during the draft.

Can anyone confirm this??
    doof-doof

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Depends what you mean by "tear it up". Off the top of my head, Sam Menegola, James Podsiadly, Sam Rowe, and Andrew Krakouer are a handful of examples of players who have carved out respectable AFL careers after an initial AFL listing, followed by a period in one of the state leagues. In Krakouer's case, he also spent some time in jail between AFL stints. I daresay there are other examples out there.
    That's a pretty handy list. Maybe there is some gold with mature agers who have previously been delisted, played state level, and returned.

You can trade future picks during the draft. We did it with West Coast last year for Blakey. I think we also did it with St Kilda to land our 2nd rounder this year. Unless that rule has since been changed but I don't think it has been.

However, they have changed the rules for those sorts of live trades now. AFL draft 2019, live trading, rules, loophole closed, Sydney Swans, West Coast trade | Fox Sports

With Longmire stating McCartin has been training as a forward

With reid playing forward majority of his minutes

With buddy up in the forwards / HFF all game

With Dawson looking likely a seriously important transition player off the HBF with his laser like kicking

That’s our leading talls upfront taken care of.......

So does that mean we will genuinely see Blakey start emulating a Bontempelli pathway in the midfield ie inside / outside role in 2020 ?

Bont is 193cm and 93kg and 23yrs of age and went straight into the midfield for the dogs at 18yrs old playing inside / outside as a skinny tall kid

Blakey 195cm, long trunk short legged lizard seems much more durable then I first expected and quicker .......Nick will be 85kg plus in 2020, he will also be 20yrs old in feb and wanting the midfield HFF rotation we keep hearing

Could nick creep up on us and start to be a force in the midfield as well as HFF ?

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    With Longmire stating McCartin has been training as a forward

With reid playing forward majority of his minutes

With buddy up in the forwards / HFF all game

With Dawson looking likely a seriously important transition player off the HBF with his laser like kicking

That’s our leading talls upfront taken care of.......

So does that mean we will genuinely see Blakey start emulating a Bontempelli pathway in the midfield ie inside / outside role in 2020 ?

Bont is 193cm and 93kg and 23yrs of age and went straight into the midfield for the dogs at 18yrs old playing inside / outside as a skinny tall kid

Blakey 195cm, long trunk short legged lizard seems much more durable then I first expected and quicker .......Nick will be 85kg plus in 2020, he will also be 20yrs old in feb and wanting the midfield HFF rotation we keep hearing

Could nick creep up on us and start to be a force in the midfield as well as HFF ?
    YES. 100%. Prior to being drafted, Longmire talked about him as a midfielder not as a forward.

He's a massive competitor, got a fair bit of mongrel / white line fever about him. He stuck some great tackles this year. I can see him being able to win his own ball. And he's very quick. Not sure it will be in 2020 but he's going to be a beast.

Blakey, Ollie and Rowbottom are three I'm most excited about for 2020.
    Last edited by Markwebbos; 14th November 2019 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a delisted player who goes back to the lower level, then returns to the AFL to tear it up.
    Brett Kirk?

If GW$ are really interested in Jackson more than Green (and Melbourne don't draft or bid on either), then it would be much better for us if we keep pick 5 and bid on Green, because.

They'll be forced to choose between Green or Jackson, and there is a (I think strong) chance they will choose not to match so they can get Jackson.
    If we swap 5 for 6 then they can draft Jackson and then also match a bid on Green, meaning we potentially both give them Jackson and miss out on Green.

I don't understand why we'd do that for a future second rounder?
    Totally agree with this.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

If we can't draft Green then my next hope (but I highly doubt we will pick him) is Brodie Kemp.

I don't care that he won't play much in 2020 due to his ACL injury, we are a youngish side who is building anyway.

I have watched most of if not all the U18 championship games plus a number of NAB League games and the fact remains that if he continued his current trajectory as a midfielder in the 2nd half of the year and didn't get injured he would definitely be a lock for pick 3 and in the conversation for the top 2 picks.

He hass so much talent and athletic ability and being 193 cm he basically played everywhere bar the ruck before his injury and played well in each position.

He had some sensational games as a forward kicking big goals in the championships as well as one game where he had 27 disposals, 5 clearances and kicked the winning goal against S.A. playing as an inside midfielder.

It will be a crime if a talent like this gets forgotten about and drifts to someone like Hawthorn or Geelong for example just because he got an unfortunate injury and missed the back half of the season. He played the entire championships and showed his quality, we must not forget that and take the best player available, which is him in my opinion (and he also fits a need)!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk