Page 390 of 521 FirstFirst ... 290340380386387388389390391392393394400440490 ... LastLast
Results 4,669 to 4,680 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

It's more important to have speed in the backline than in the centre square. It's nice to have some speed on the inside, but Hawthorn managed to do quite well with a slow midfield. The fact is that there aren't that many ball winning mids with breakaway pace. If pace in the midfield was that important, there might have been more love for Zak Jones. We are trying to add more pace to the midfield, with Florent getting more time at stoppages as well as Papley. Rowbottom is pretty quick and should make a difference as he grows into the playing midfield in the AFL. The team as a whole is getting quicker from the outside in. As more of our younger, quicker players mature, they should bet more time on ball. It's a transition, not a revolution. We are not a club that's going to spend 2 1st round picks for a Dylan Shiel.

Sydney, Tom Papley, Gerard Healy, Sportsday, Joe Daniher, Essendon, AFL, trade, contract | Fox Sports

Gerard Healy is finally putting some sense into the Daniher/Papley conversation, echoing a lot that has been said in this forum.

Gerard Healy is finally putting some sense into the Daniher/Papley conversation, echoing a lot that has been said in this forum.

Some common sense

The criticised teams were the Swans and Carlton for their minimal trading.
    I just don’t understand why “some one” doesn’t acknowledge that they are 2 very young and talented lists that are getting games into those players that will benefit over the next few years.
    Then would be the time to seek trades to plug identified weaknesses that players have not grown into

Veterans List
    The GWS draft situation is fascinating and could backfire on them.

For the first time in their history, they are going into a draft without a squillion high picks, it has happened rather quickly. Now it's common belief that Green is a top 5 pick. Melbourne at pick 3 have a history of bidding on academy players, so do Adelaide at pick 4, we of course hold pick 5 and Green is perfect for our needs plus he's a NSW boy.

GWS knowing this are trying to get a player before a bid comes for Green thereby getting two top 5 players in a draft when they don't have top 5 picks, they started with "just" picks 12 & 18 but amazingly trade away these two picks worth 2253 points for pick 6 worth 1751 points, they gave away 502 points in getting themselves up to pick 6.

This strategy only works for them if they can get Melbourne's pick 3 thereby guaranteeing a player before a Green bid. If I'm Melbourne, it's pick 3 for pick 6 and GWS 2020 first as a minimum, Dees have them over a barrel :-)

If GWS don't manage to get Dees pick 3, it could be Green gets a bid there, discounted points 1787 which swallows all of GWS pick 6 and a nibble from their pick 40'ish, or Adelaide at pick 4, discounted points 1627 which takes most of pick 6 with a 60s junk pick coming back.

So pressure on GWS, if they can't get a pick swap done with Melbourne, they get Green only burning pick 6 in a match, unless their real target is someone like Jackson at pick 6 and due to their overflowing numbers of mids they bypass Green?

Interesting four weeks coming up, Green not out of the picture for us IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post

Some common sense
    What? Don't you like the Barrett hysterical Daniher non trade ravings?!!

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post

Some common sense
    I just read this too. It feels as though there is a least one person in the media on our side. How refreshing.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's more important to have speed in the backline than in the centre square. It's nice to have some speed on the inside, but Hawthorn managed to do quite well with a slow midfield. The fact is that there aren't that many ball winning mids with breakaway pace. If pace in the midfield was that important, there might have been more love for Zak Jones. We are trying to add more pace to the midfield, with Florent getting more time at stoppages as well as Papley. Rowbottom is pretty quick and should make a difference as he grows into the playing midfield in the AFL. The team as a whole is getting quicker from the outside in. As more of our younger, quicker players mature, they should bet more time on ball. It's a transition, not a revolution. We are not a club that's going to spend 2 1st round picks for a Dylan Shiel.

Sydney, Tom Papley, Gerard Healy, Sportsday, Joe Daniher, Essendon, AFL, trade, contract | Fox Sports

Hmmmm....who do you believe and listen to..a former Top Class player or a locker room lurker. Simples..
    sprite

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

A footy journalist without a natural Victorian prejudice towards the Swans.....thereby speaking sense......simple.

As opposed to your average Victorian footy journo.....who is simple.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    From this draft......do we want a young gun midfielder or the next Brodie Grundy?

Class of 2019: The young ruck who could be the 'drought breaker' - AFL.com.au

Our ruck issues are that we have very average ruckmen....none are great and our best is injury prone.
    Definitely a gun midfielder. We do have a ruck problem, but we don't need to chase the next Grundy to fix that.

A competitive ruckmen is enough to enable a good midfield. A great ruckmen will not save a bad midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    The GWS draft situation is fascinating and could backfire on them.

For the first time in their history, they are going into a draft without a squillion high picks, it has happened rather quickly. Now it's common belief that Green is a top 5 pick. Melbourne at pick 3 have a history of bidding on academy players, so do Adelaide at pick 4, we of course hold pick 5 and Green is perfect for our needs plus he's a NSW boy.

GWS knowing this are trying to get a player before a bid comes for Green thereby getting two top 5 players in a draft when they don't have top 5 picks, they started with "just" picks 12 & 18 but amazingly trade away these two picks worth 2253 points for pick 6 worth 1751 points, they gave away 502 points in getting themselves up to pick 6.

This strategy only works for them if they can get Melbourne's pick 3 thereby guaranteeing a player before a Green bid. If I'm Melbourne, it's pick 3 for pick 6 and GWS 2020 first as a minimum, Dees have them over a barrel :-)

If GWS don't manage to get Dees pick 3, it could be Green gets a bid there, discounted points 1787 which swallows all of GWS pick 6 and a nibble from their pick 40'ish, or Adelaide at pick 4, discounted points 1627 which takes most of pick 6 with a 60s junk pick coming back.

So pressure on GWS, if they can't get a pick swap done with Melbourne, they get Green only burning pick 6 in a match, unless their real target is someone like Jackson at pick 6 and due to their overflowing numbers of mids they bypass Green?

Interesting four weeks coming up, Green not out of the picture for us IMO.
    If I were GWS I would let things ride until pick 5, our pick. Melbourne is looking for an outside player or a small forward, so are more likely to after Serong, Young or Ash. Adelaide also should be looking for outside pace and may go for SA Dylan Stephens. So Green doesn't look a natural bid for either, except if they think Green is best available, which he might be.

The Swans, on the other hand, would be likely to bid on Green as a natural pick, needing an inside mid. So if Green gets past Melbourne and Adelaide, then GWS would be almost forced to do a deal with us. They probably will swap their 2020 1st round pick for either pick 32 or 44. There are a number of possibilities, but we should pick up a heap of value points in the deal, should it arise.

Chris Doerre has published an expanded phantom draft: Expanded AFL Phantom Draft Risers, sliders and new names. Has us taking Serong at 6 (after Young, Green, Flanders in that order), then Schoenberg at 27 (looks a good suggestion - a ballwinning midfielder) then Josh Mahony at 32. I don't like the Mahony suggestion because he is described as a crumbing forward but, with retaining Papley, recruiting Taylor and then drafting Serong plus having the likes of Ronke, Foot and (at this stage) Wicks in the wings we surely don't need to burn a 2nd round pick taking another small forward. If the draft goes as Doerre suggests to that point (of course it won't) then someone like Shute looks a better bet. Also makes us a fair bit shorter: Taylor (173 cm), Serong (178 cm), Schoenberg (180 cm) - to then add Mahony (176 cm) as well seems too many short players to me. Especially with Campbell and Gulden next year also both being pretty short. I agree it's talent that's most important - for any individual - but taking a large number of short players doesn't seem so good.

I think GWS is likely to do a deal with Melbourne for pick 3. Despite trading to get a second pick in the top 10, Melbourne need more picks - they only have two at this stage but they have cleared out a lot of players and will need to replace them. Maybe it'll cost the Giants pick 6 and their first next year but getting something back. If not, then I've said it before, I like Ludwig's suggestion and think there is a great chance to do a win-win deal with the Giants. I rate the chance of getting Green as tiny but would be great if we could.

I would love to pick up Green. Just what we need! I hope your theories are right, gang.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk