Page 64 of 521 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    With all due respect to Jack. I think he is on the sidelines due to the concussion he got in his last game. He really hasn't had a chance to get back to form. As far as Macca goes he is now getting repeated soft tissue injuries that will probably see him retire at years end. I think he might be the heir apparent to Longmire.
    Agree re McVeigh.

Regular in the Side
    .... As far as Macca goes he is now getting repeated soft tissue injuries that will probably see him retire at years end. I think he might be the heir apparent to Longmire.
    He appears to have the tools to be a coach - but I'd prefer him to get substantial experience as an assistant (at other clubs) before he is considered for the senior coach at the Swans.
    And as for his playing career - I think you are spot on.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    He appears to have the tools to be a coach - but I'd prefer him to get substantial experience as an assistant (at other clubs) before he is considered for the senior coach at the Swans.
    And as for his playing career - I think you are spot on.
    Kirk front of queue. Roos-Longmire-Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Think our grinding game style, extra games every year (finals!) and our tendency to play senior players through injury has definitely contributed, however I don't think our retirements/older players are significantly worse than other teams.

I'm really interested to see how Hanners fares now that he's had the chance to give his body a break, I'm hoping he can return back to his pre 2016 form (although not against us!). If he can, then its probably a black mark against our medical team.
    This seems to be spot on, at least for Mumford. A mate of mine was chatting to him at a GWS Academy session (my mate's son falls into their zone) and asked him about leaving the Swans. He said that he felt like his body was shot when he left as he had to play consistently through injuries. GWS seemed to have worked miracles with him. Pity they couldn't wave that magic wand with Scully though.

Veterans List
    With all due respect to Jack. I think he is on the sidelines due to the concussion he got in his last game. He really hasn't had a chance to get back to form. As far as Macca goes he is now getting repeated soft tissue injuries that will probably see him retire at years end. I think he might be the heir apparent to Longmire.
    Thanks for "pointing" that out :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    This seems to be spot on, at least for Mumford. A mate of mine was chatting to him at a GWS Academy session (my mate's son falls into their zone) and asked him about leaving the Swans. He said that he felt like his body was shot when he left as he had to play consistently through injuries. GWS seemed to have worked miracles with him. Pity they couldn't wave that magic wand with Scully though.
    Reckon giving him away to the Hawks was just a ploy to get cap space, don't think Hawks medico's did any more than another club's would have, they aren't miracle workers. A lot of smell about that trade.

Senior Player
    I don't think he's been in form since 2016, but that's my own opinion Nico, unfortunately I don't think that view is shared by Horse and co

I don't think there is an heir at this stage, and they're certainly not apparent. I think we are currently happy with Horse for the indefinite future (and vice versa). We will think about succession planning when the need arises based on circumstances as they are at that time.

Dylan Clarke, the younger brother of Ryan Clarke, has been nominated for the Rising Star this week for his good work as a tagger. Interesting that the 2 brothers have both settled in as taggers now, and both considered to have poor disposal skills.

To make it as a tagger and just a tagger, you have to be pretty good at the job. I wonder if Clarke can hold his spot in the side when the young talent, like Stoddart, Ling, Rowbottom and McInerney, start demanding senior time by dint of NEAFL performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Dylan Clarke, the younger brother of Ryan Clarke, has been nominated for the Rising Star this week for his good work as a tagger. Interesting that the 2 brothers have both settled in as taggers now, and both considered to have poor disposal skills.

To make it as a tagger and just a tagger, you have to be pretty good at the job. I wonder if Clarke can hold his spot in the side when the young talent, like Stoddart, Ling, Rowbottom and McInerney, start demanding senior time by dint of NEAFL performances.
    Hope that eventuates and would love to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I've been liking Clarke lately. His tagging has been effective in shutting down threats and possibly even more beneficially, releasing Hewett into a more attacking role. And to certain extent, being a tagger can improve a player’s game. That is, spending most of the time guarding a gun midfielder, means that the tagger gets to closely observe what the highly skilled player is doing; in regards to positioning, evasion tactics and option taking. So if they can add some of that to their own game, then they become a better player. I think that Kirk, Crouch and Jack, all improved their skills, after spending time as a tagger.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Hope that eventuates and would love to see that.
    A guy that runs 16.9kms and can concentrate for 4 quarters has all the assets for a successful career as a tagger.

Veterans List
    You need a good tagger against almost all sides and Clarke has been doing it well in recent weeks. Whether he can hold off more talented players who could be introduced to seniors as taggers remains to be seen but, for mine, if he keeps doing what he's been doing he stays.