Page 47 of 521 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    As you say Liz, the impact of Buddy's onfield presence on other players' development is harder to gauge.
    But the days when the opposition allocated 2 defenders on Buddy seem long gone. Phil Davis has been demonstrating how to beat Buddy for some years, this week Jordan Roughead even managed it too.
    I hope that McCartin and Blakey will not have their development curtailed, just as I hope Reid, Rohan and maybe Membrey wasn't.

We'll never know what went through Clarkson's mind, but for such a relentlessly results driven coach to risk a potential premiership (especially after losing one) by moving a champion goalkicker up the field because he may be leaving next season just doesn't ring true to me. It seems far more likely that Clarkson might make that move if he believed it would enhance his teams chances.

I must admit I find it hard to comprehend one member of a team getting more than 10% of the salary cap, leaving the other 46 players to share 89%
    It's a fair point but that's capitalism and market forces at work.

As regards Buddy and where he should play, this is Adam Curley's take on afl.com.au:

If you have the greatest forward of the modern era in your team, you don't try and turn him into a midfielder. Some media reports in the lead-up to Friday night's clash with Collingwood suggested Sydney should push Lance Franklin up the ground to 'benefit' the Swans' other forwards. A player with 930 goals, four Coleman medals, eight All Australian selections and 11 club goalkicking gongs on his resume. Forget the fact that playing alongside Franklin is an enormous psychological boost for youngsters like Nick Blakey, Tom McCartin and Jordan Dawson, but we saw the real-time benefits of his presence against the Magpies. He attracted the opposition's best tall defender, Jordan Roughead, which left Sam Reid to take advantage of a size mismatch on Jack Madgen and Jeremy Howe. Reid took nine marks, six of those contested, and booted a career-high six goals. There's little doubt the Swans are too Franklin-focused at times, why wouldn't they be? But taking him away from what he does best isn't going to help them win games, or his teammates develop. - Adam Curley

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Who's now filling the traditional role of; not playing, not on the injury list (although he probably is injured). It seems that we have one each season: Pink, Ronke.
    Toby Pinzk is developing into quite a good defender. Ronke played well in the reserves.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Thank you Adam.

There are a couple of good reasons for allowing (or encouraging) Buddy to sometimes roam up the ground. Firstly he's the best field kick in the team and can execute passes into the forward line that no-one else is capable of. Secondly, it helps give him a bit of space if he's playing on an octopus, like Phil Davis. But just to leave more space for 2nd, 3rd and 4th string forwards shouldn't be the reason.

That doesn't mean that the team can't improve by learning to be less Buddy conscious. Indeed, they showed good signs of progress in that direction on Friday. They kicked to Buddy plenty of times when he was one-on-one with Roughead and the forward line was reasonably open, but at other times they looked for different options, evidenced by Reid's goal tally. Papley thought about a short kick to Buddy before going back and converting the shot himself, but he didn't take the option. And at other times players ignored him on a short lead and kicked elsewhere.

Mid-Season Rookie Draft order: Your club's picks - Mid-Season Rookie Draft order: Your club's picks - AFL.com.au

I'm looking forward to the draft today. I get excited with the prospect of new players because they can become a solid player at the Swans.

It's a long shot, and I doubt he'll slip to pick 4, but I'd love Dunks to be playing for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Mid-Season Rookie Draft order: Your club's picks - Mid-Season Rookie Draft order: Your club's picks - AFL.com.au

I'm looking forward to the draft today. I get excited with the prospect of new players because they can become a solid player at the Swans.

It's a long shot, and I doubt he'll slip to pick 4, but I'd love Dunks to be playing for us.
    After previously being overlooked as a FS, would DUNKS love to be playing for us?

He was overlooked by EVERY club in the national and rookie drafts. So why would he feel more aggrieved in the case of our club? I'd like to think we might have garnered a little bit of goodwill with the family by possibly helping his brother stay in Victoria.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Toby Pinzk is developing into quite a good defender. Ronke played well in the reserves.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    I wonder if Ronke will be called up into the seniors this week? We could use some more forward pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    I wonder if Ronke will be called up into the seniors this week? We could use some more forward pressure.
    I'd put others ahead of Ronke based on the ressies' match. Rowbottom, Menzel, Cameron, Stoddard. The player I'm hoping to fire is Ling. Still looks a little off at times.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    He was overlooked by EVERY club in the national and rookie drafts. So why would he feel more aggrieved in the case of our club? I'd like to think we might have garnered a little bit of goodwill with the family by possibly helping his brother stay in Victoria.
    Have to agree. You'd think that any of the lads who are drafted tonight would be stoked to be given an opportunity to be on a list and potentially, fulfil an the dream of an AFL career.

Doesn’t it happen at 6.30pm? We’ll know soon enough

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Certainly is the word, not possibly!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Dunkley linked to us Carlton and Suns. Ends up at Demons