Page 215 of 521 FirstFirst ... 115165205211212213214215216217218219225265315 ... LastLast
Results 2,569 to 2,580 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Serong up to pick 3 in Twomey's latest top 30 ratings.

After GC get their PP and take Rowell & Anderson, Green is matched by GWS, we will effectively have the third "live" pick, Dees and Crows to select "live" before us, Serong, Young and Ash in those three positions according to Twomey.
    Cal Twomey's 2019 Phantom Form Guide: September update - AFL.com.au

If we got one of Serong, Flanders, Kemp or Robertson as a midfielder with our first pick.

I wonder if we will select another midfielder with our second. There seems a few ranked in the 20s; Bianco, Bergman, Rivers, Schoenberg and Stephens.

Or look to strengthen other positions. Like De Koning or Hilder as a tall defender.

I feel we have a few young half back flankers already. And Mclean looks a good full forward prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeynez View Post
    Will be seriously disappointed if we aren’t looking into Constable. Is the exact kind of player we need right now.
    +1

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    AFL trade whispers, rumours, news 2019: Zak Jones St Kilda, Dougal Howard Essendon, North Melbourne | FOX SPORTS

This article is suggesting that Bruce will go to the Dogs and the Saints will acquire their 2nd round pick in return. Jones will go to the Saints and we'll end up with pick 30. Sounds like a rort to me. Surely Jones is worth a lot more than pick 30!
    Article says of Jones: “I think the Swans are pretty happy to deal him. He hasn’t finished in the top 10 of the best and fairest for the past couple of seasons, he can turn the ball over ...”

I doubt that the Swans are "pretty happy" to deal Jones. He is coming into his prime and has pace. However, there is little that they can do now if he doesn't want to stay. He is out of contract and seemingly wants to return to Melb. Saints are probably prepared to pay him more than us as well. Pick 30 seems a little under for him. I was expecting early second round, around 20.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have been thinking about how I would manage players wanting out, in particular the notion of holding players to their contracts, no matter what or forcing players into the draft.

It must be a balance of being tough versus not being seen as being too hard nosed. This is especially important for the northern sides as I suspect, alot of the southern and western boys would like the comfort of knowing they can head home if that's what they want.

With this is mind, letting Jones go for pick 30 might not necessarily be in our interests, but demonstrates that we do take the interests of our players into account, especially those who have given good service. It would be good though if we could get a bit more from the Saints for Zac, and if it is future 1/ early 2 rounder, then I think that will be better then 30 this year.

Papley's situation is different in that the main reason he is playing AFL is we have given him the chance after no one wanted him. Players we have given opportunity to and developed should not be afforded the luxury of being let off their contractual obligations unless it is either in the interest of the club or their are compelling personal reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Surely we would demand more than pick 30 for Jones!

If not we should make him go to the PSD.
    Absolutely! It's time for us to send a message to the Melbourne clubs as well as outgoing players who nominate a a single club. That message is more valuable than pick 30 in the long run.

Veterans List
    I still reckon the Swans should consider this guy. Would come fairly cheap, smooth as silk, lots of upside if fit.

Two surgeries, baby joy and new hope: Rebuilt Bennell eyes third chance - AFL.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I doubt that the Swans are "pretty happy" to deal Jones. He is coming into his prime and has pace. However, there is little that they can do now if he doesn't want to stay. He is out of contract and seemingly wants to return to Melb. Saints are probably prepared to pay him more than us as well. Pick 30 seems a little under for him. I was expecting early second round, around 20.

Yes, I also think that pick 30 is not quite there. If they add their pick 55, that works out at around pick 22. Though since we also have picks 56 & 57, I'm not sure if we really need another pick in the mid-fifties? Maybe some sort of player swap would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I still reckon the Swans should consider this guy. Would come fairly cheap, smooth as silk, lots of upside if fit.

Two surgeries, baby joy and new hope: Rebuilt Bennell eyes third chance - AFL.com.au
    Geez, after watching that footage of Bennell, I'd give him a chance for sure. Right attitude now, gratitude for a final chance goes a long way, ooohhh and his silky skills and run off both sides..... yes yes yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Cal Twomey's 2019 Phantom Form Guide: September update - AFL.com.au

If we got one of Serong, Flanders, Kemp or Robertson as a midfielder with our first pick.

I wonder if we will select another midfielder with our second. There seems a few ranked in the 20s; Bianco, Bergman, Rivers, Schoenberg and Stephens.

Or look to strengthen other positions. Like De Koning or Hilder as a tall defender.

I feel we have a few young half back flankers already. And Mclean looks a good full forward prospect.
    Yes, my main hope is that Serong is still there, when our first pick comes up. Just going on second hand reports, he can win his own ball, has the speed to escape congestion and is a good ball user. Which to me, is exactly what we need. He's also a keen Swans supporter.

If he isn't there, and Green is, then we might as well put in a bid. Being a midfield bull, he's also what we need. And there's a small chance that GWS won't match. I mean, how many gun inside mids do they need? Failing that, I'd be happy with Flanders. Seems to be somewhere between Serong and Green. A bit bigger than Serong, but spends a bit more time outside than Green, but who would also fill our need for more midfield depth. That need, is why I would prefer not to go for other highly rated players, who may be available at our pick; such as Ash and Young.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post

Jones is a not a RFA but it seems all out of contract players now are pseudo free agents, being able to get to desired club they nominate (which annoys me). If Jones wants to return to Melb and hypothetically North offer us their 1st round pick for him compared to Saints pick 30, do we have any durasticion to tell Jones we'd rather trade you to North? Same thing with Tim Kelly who wants to return to WA for personal reasons but has nominated West Coast as desired club even though he's only a 2nd year player! This seems skewed too much in the players favour & yet the PA wants to reduce the FA qualification even further!

If Jones really wants out, why dont we deal with Melb and exchange for Frost who is a young key position back? Better outcome for Swans as we really dont need another pick so low. His brother is there so might be better outcome for Jones and better for us