Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk about Isaac

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Let’s talk about Isaac

So, I don’t do this to slur the guy.

His best is brilliant, as we saw last year. He clearly had some injuries this year. And he’s been thrown a lot over his career - playing, forward, wing, mid, you name it - which doesn’t help for continuity. But . . . He’s now 27, a gun we need to fire, and on a good lick of the ice cream, salary cap wise. So what to do?

I’ve vacillated between thinking he’s best forward as a third or fourth forward who can create a nightmare match up as he’s hard to match in the air and on the ground; and then thinking he’d be a great winger with his power running and foot skills and marking; and then watching a game like the one far Carlton this year where he went inside, stood Cripps, and kicked his butt.

The last option has always resonated with me as I remember when this debate was being had once, as it has eternally, and seeing Paul Roos asked on some footy show as someone who’d tracked him since he was a kid and quick as a flash, he said midfielder. And he was adamant, and almost indignant about it.

But I wonder how much pure midfield craft he still has. When Mills finally went in full time at the back end of 2020, he said it took him a bit to regain all the instincts and triggers and body positioning you need to operate in a phone booth. Nanoseconds matter in there. We’ve seen Isaac do it so I’m not sure it’s completely lost - but you’d need to commit to it being a more permanent show so he’d regain his rhythm.

The case for: we could do with hard, big and mature bodies in there, and at his best, Isaac has supremely clean skills, great hands and deft foot skills under pressure. He can fire off quick release handballs in a flash in tight in the forward line, so no reason he can’t in the midfield. He is also hard, a brutal tackler, and when fit, can seriously surge run - both from the contest and on the spread. And he seems to nail the inside 50 kick more than most of our side.

The case against: does he have the high end midfield craft of a Bont or Dusty or Oliver or Pendlebury? (maybe he doesn’t need to, but no). His body seems to take a battering and accumulate small but nagging injuries, so can he sustain it? And as we saw last year, he is elite as a forward, and will probably be even more effective as Logan and McLean kick in down there.

My own instincts are we need to have him spend 60-40 mid, particularly if we plan to follow the Liz-lead and play Parker a bit more forward. Which I think is a good idea. A 20-25 possession game from Isaac can do serious damage given his skills. And he can still drift forward and kick a goal or two.

As I said, I’m not doing this to bag the dude, and being thrown around hasn’t helped him. But he’s absolutely elite at his best, we need to get more out of him, and he needs to get more from himself.

I’m not sure I’ve convinced myself either way, and maybe this is the ultimate chicken and egg argument, so over to you.
    Last edited by i'm-uninformed2; 7th October 2023 at 08:12 PM.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Was All Australian last year but underperformed this year.

Definitely feel his best place is mid, by a long way. Exactly what Roosy said. It’s a shame he hasn’t been played there more often.

It’s ridiculous to pay someone $900k a year to play half forward.

He always looks banged up. Maybe his body can't last a long AFL career.

Senior Player
    Agree. Always seems sore. Very brave and goes hard physically. Gets targeted as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Was All Australian last year but underperformed this year.

Definitely feel his best place is mid, by a long way. Exactly what Roosy said. It’s a shame he hasn’t been played there more often.

It’s ridiculous to pay someone $900k a year to play half forward.
    Maybe a few years ago Captain, but not now. We need him up forward to be a major goal threat. Sure, he can have a spell in midfield, like Paps, but Heens on one forward flank and Paps on the other is how our attack should be shaped. We have Erro, Chad, Rowy, Sheldrick to come and Mills. We have now added Jordon and maybe Adams, with possibly 2 more in the ressies who will be able to step up soon. Hopefully with Grundy coming our midfieders will be given a split second extra to win the ball, so we can concentrate on our attack. And let’s not forget Campbell- he may be ready to move to the guts next year. And Parks in the forward pocket with the occasional run on the ball.
    Wilbur on the wing alternating with JMac. Ollie on the other. Team practically picks itself!
    Last edited by Roadrunner; 8th October 2023 at 04:50 PM.

Veterans List
    I think our wingers are set: Gulden and JMac.

Veterans List
    He really needs to improve his goal kicking accuracy. He was missing by a long way. I don't know if this was injury related. He seemed fine in the warm up at the games I attended.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Rather than looking at his performance, turn the issue on it's head.
    Our forward line may to include Logan, Amarty, McLean, Wicks, Papley, Hayward, with Parker also possible - does that effect what do we do with Heeney?

Maybe Papley, Heeney and Parker could each spend 1/3rd of a game as mids. Two up forward one in the mids - but the identity of the one in the mids changes throughout the game. They each bring something different to the midfield.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Heeney, Warner and Mills is my preferred starting midfield. Errol and J Mac on the wings.

Obviously Mills might miss a bit so would have Parker replace him.

Then rotate Adams, Papley, Sheldrick, Rowbottom through.

If we get Adams and also have Sheldrick back, is there a place for Rowbottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Rather than looking at his performance, turn the issue on it's head.
    Our forward line may to include Logan, Amarty, McLean, Wicks, Papley, Hayward, with Parker also possible - does that effect what do we do with Heeney?

Maybe Papley, Heeney and Parker could each spend 1/3rd of a game as mids. Two up forward one in the mids - but the identity of the one in the mids changes throughout the game. They each bring something different to the midfield.
    Agreed, but our mids of Chad, Rowy, Angus plus Roberts to come, is still very young with only Millsy experienced there. That’s why I think we’re after Adams, and brought in Jordon.
    In the forward line, I’d like to see how Konstanty goes in place of Wicks, as I think we need improvement there. I’m expecting Logan to really make a statement next year and Amartey to get fit and play regularly. With Mclean’s improvement we could have a very good forward line next year, with a multi pronged attack which is exactly what’s needed. And Isaac is integral to our attack when fully fit.

On the Rookie List
    At this point Heeney's output does not match his talent.
    As a forward I think he needs to be the deepest forward, isolated as much as possible one on one. He won't lose too many of those.
    As a midfielder I am not sure what he would bring that our other midfielders don't. He had a great game against Cripps, but (and this is an issue I have with Mills' usage too) you don't want the best players tagging the opposition - they should be able to make the play.
    I suppose I am the side of leaving him as he is, a forward with occasional runs in the midfield, but the forward line structure has to be altered to make the most of his abilities.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    If we get Adams and also have Sheldrick back, is there a place for Rowbottom?
    It'd be odd for him to be squeezed out in order to bring in an experenced player with a mature body to help our young mids - because he's the most physically mature and experienced of our young mids, and least in need of that sort of support.
    Still stranger things have heppened.
    It'd also look odd squeezing out the Bedford medalist from the last two years, so I hope it doesn't happen.

One of the things I admired with the Geelong 2022 team's midfield, was how many players could take a turn in there. And not just the runners. They also had several viable ruck options on the ground. I'd like to see us emulate that.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast