Page 437 of 521 FirstFirst ... 337387427433434435436437438439440441447487 ... LastLast
Results 5,233 to 5,244 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

[QUOTE=Captain;789393]
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Probably not a grudge, just his opinion.

His ranking of our defence was a total joke, though he is on the money with our rucks. Whether you like it or not, this is a total weak area for us.

I do love it then when looking at our forward line, not much credit given to Papley, yet when he was going to play for Carlton he was lauded as the next big thing.
    Defensively, we're pretty solid but can get overwhelmed by repeat entries, like any defence really.

Offensively, if we get enough opportunities, we will hurt the opposition for sure

As I've stated before, I'm not too concerned by not having a dominant ruckman, providing our midfield fires. As long as they put in and compete around the field. If our midfield gets owned, no amount of hitouts will save us.

Season 2020 will be determined by our midfield. If JPK can regain form, Parks has a cracking season and the youngsters all build on 2019, we might surprise a few pundits.

Over to our mids then for 2020! (And stuff you Goddard you bitter fool!)

JPK is going to be 32 next year. I'm not sure he's going to get back to being able to win games for us like he used to. I wonder if he needs to spend less time in the middle and more time elsewhere - up forward, maybe, to give others a run in there.

JPK is going to be 32 next year. I'm not sure he's going to get back to being able to win games for us like he used to. I wonder if he needs to spend less time in the middle and more time elsewhere - up forward, maybe, to give others a run in there.
    I think that is definitely what needs to happen, less time in the coal face for JPK, could be good for him also , similar to Joel Selwood for the cats moving more to a wing. At least early on in the season , that new midfield mid they were using worked really for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midfield ‘mix’ that should say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no obvious successor for next year. Unless someone really comes from nowhere, then it's really JPK and if he doesn't fire, 2020 will definitely be another rebuild year, likely on the middle to lower end of the table.

Veterans List
    I'm going to hold back on predicting that. While it did look that way for most of the season, I thought JPK was looking more like his old self in the last few rounds. It made me think he may have been carrying a niggle or worse for most of the season, even if the club never hinted at anything like that.....so I'm not only hoping but am quietly confident that he comes out next season and kills it like the old days one last time.

The main factor going against that hopeful theory is of course his age, which makes 'niggles' almost a certainty.....fingers crossed there!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 16th November 2019 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    There's no obvious successor for next year. Unless someone really comes from nowhere, then it's really JPK and if he doesn't fire, 2020 will definitely be another rebuild year, likely on the middle to lower end of the table.
    I kind of agree. I think Hewett is a good Kennedy replacement. However while he has huge upside, he'll never beat an in form Kennedy. When Kennedy first began at the Swans he could almost play a half forward position cause of his size and bulk and marking ability. Could see him playing more forward time instead of Parker and Heeney and Hewett and maybe Clarke getting more inside mid minutes

I think Kennedy still attracts the opposition's attention so it makes it easier for our other midfielders if he is still in there. But I think it will be good to rotate some more mobile mids in there occasionally rather than always relying on Parker, Kennedy and Hewett.

The Roar's latest phantom draft: 2019 AFL Phantom Draft. Has us taking Flanders, Rantall, Pickett and Byrnes. Could be worse.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I think Kennedy still attracts the opposition's attention so it makes it easier for our other midfielders if he is still in there. But I think it will be good to rotate some more mobile mids in there occasionally rather than always relying on Parker, Kennedy and Hewett.
    I think Mills could take on part of Kennedy's load. He has decent height although not the bulk Josh has, but that will improve with time. His skills and judgement would be useful assets in that sort of position.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The Roar's latest phantom draft: 2019 AFL Phantom Draft. Has us taking Flanders, Rantall, Pickett and Byrnes. Could be worse.
    • I'm a Flanders-Skeptic. I think the name might be part of it, makes me think of Ned. His highlights reel isn't that highlighty, but he allegedly has the ability to win games off his own boot.
    • I really like the idea of Jay Rantall as he's very athletic and has a lot of upside.
    • I'm also encouraged that Will Gould might still be available (but too fat) for our pick 25. Roar does have this to say about him: "Despite elite performances in the field, concerns over Gould’s athleticism seem set to see him slide into the 20s or even later at the draft. Will be a hit if he can make it at AFL level, though."
    • If Pickett gets to us at pick 32 that would be a huge result. I doubt it. He sounds like one out of the box who could be anything.
    • Byrnes too, has already been linked to us, and is another ball winning mid.

On paper, those four would be a pretty decent hand. I don't know who I'd rather have than Flanders at pick 5 - Ash, Serong, Young (if available), Kemp (?!?).

This draft feels way more important to the Swans than any I can remember. Not sure why?