Page 389 of 521 FirstFirst ... 289339379385386387388389390391392393399439489 ... LastLast
Results 4,657 to 4,668 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

[QUOTE=Auntie.Gerald;788535]I still think mills hasn’t spent much time in the midfield for two reasons:

1. We have a fairly slow inside midfield in Parker, JpK and hewett and we have heard several times this season how the coaching dept wants to speed it up not slow it down hence Mills not his time as yet hence Ollie and JB (james bell) being touted as faster inside mid rotation players

IMHO this is the key point - what our Midfield needs are, cant play Kennedy/Hewett, Parker/Heeney, with Mills in MF at same time, no breakaway speed.
    Taylor and Papley will be able to rotate MF / FWD ensuring with have speed ground level FWD and MF.
    I would make a case we need a big bodied Dawson in the MF rather than Mills.
    But hey I also think McCartin should be our next CHB, leaving Allir as 3rd tall.

Cheers

Waz

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Watching the highlight tape of Will Gould I can't believe he is only listed at spot 12. I would love to have him on our team!
    Seen as having limited upside I believe but he looks good and been playing senior footy in the SANFL.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    That's what frustrates me the most about all this! Mills was probably the most highly rated midfielder in his draft year. I understand that we like to develop kids slowly by playing them either at half forward or half back but for him not to have had a real opportunity in the midfield coming into his 5th season is an indictment on Longmire as a coach!

And I don't care how "important" they think he's been as a half back! You don't win games by having a good small defender, you win them by winning the contest in the middle!

If he doesn't start there next season, serious questions need to be asked of the coaching panel.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Nail on the head there!

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=Wazza;788542]
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I still think mills hasn’t spent much time in the midfield for two reasons:

1. We have a fairly slow inside midfield in Parker, JpK and hewett and we have heard several times this season how the coaching dept wants to speed it up not slow it down hence Mills not his time as yet hence Ollie and JB (james bell) being touted as faster inside mid rotation players

IMHO this is the key point - what our Midfield needs are, cant play Kennedy/Hewett, Parker/Heeney, with Mills in MF at same time, no breakaway speed.
    Taylor and Papley will be able to rotate MF / FWD ensuring with have speed ground level FWD and MF.
    I would make a case we need a big bodied Dawson in the MF rather than Mills.
    But hey I also think McCartin should be our next CHB, leaving Allir as 3rd tall.

Cheers

Waz
    Constructive post Waz. Agree about Taylor, Papley and McCartin but would rather Dawson plays where his kicking in his primary weapon rather than where he is an extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Seen as having limited upside I believe but he looks good and been playing senior footy in the SANFL.
    I watched the game thats in the highlights against the allies . Gould is a big unit and I can see how his development may be seen as limited as his size did give him a distinct advantage at that level. Ironing out No 1 for Allies (which I think was Gulden) was more kudos to the allies player than him.

What would be interesting is to see is how he performed at SANFL level against bigger bodies. If he was as equally as dominant than you would definitely consider him but if he just melted in than I would consider how far he could go.

I read that Hewitt comes out of contract at the end of next season. We need to re-sign him sooner rather than latter. A key contributor who is not flashy but contributes every week.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side
    In a few early interviews, we learnt that Mills spent his last pre-season mainly with the midfield group and did play a little in the mid in the practise matches. So the coaches did want to play him in the midfield. However, when Grundy and Smith could not play any part and Melican was under-performing, he was stuck in the back. Hopefully he can move to the middle this season.

Veterans List
    From this draft......do we want a young gun midfielder or the next Brodie Grundy?

Class of 2019: The young ruck who could be the 'drought breaker' - AFL.com.au

Our ruck issues are that we have very average ruckmen....none are great and our best is injury prone.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I read that Hewitt comes out of contract at the end of next season. We need to re-sign him sooner rather than latter. A key contributor who is not flashy but contributes every week.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Agree 100%. Works his tail off in the Kirk tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Snork View Post
    Just wondering if we bid on Green, can he choose us rather than go to GWS like the father/son?
    Dont think so. He's in GWS academy, so they are the only ones who get a chance to match any bids.

We could convince him not to nominate as an academy player in the draft I guess, then its just first pick gets him. Bit risky for Green as he may end up at carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Dont think so. He's in GWS academy, so they are the only ones who get a chance to match any bids.

We could convince him not to nominate as an academy player in the draft I guess, then its just first pick gets him. Bit risky for Green as he may end up at carlton.
    I would be surprised if Green would want to choose the swans over the giants. My experience is that the rivalry built up over the junior academy series has inbuilt a fair amount of loyalty to their academy team.

[QUOTE=Blood Fever;788546]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post

Constructive post Waz. Agree about Taylor, Papley and McCartin but would rather Dawson plays where his kicking in his primary weapon rather than where he is an extractor.
    I entirely agree with you Blood Fever (and mostly with Waz too) except I think it is too soon to say where McCartin is best suited to play.

barry, you nailed the Green situation. Green would have to elect not to be an Academy selection pre-draft - and why would he?