Page 71 of 521 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Didn't the AFL slap us with a trade ban because they thought we were going after Paddy Ryder?? 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Didn't the AFL slap us with a trade ban because they thought we were going after Paddy Ryder?? 😉
    You mean there was a reason?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    You mean there was a reason?
    The reason was "you can't have everybody"

New club emerges as potential landing spot for Goldstein, Jacobs and Ryder | Zero Hanger

Yet another story about the Swans chasing a ruckman.

Is there anything more perplexing than how we are handling our ruck position?

If we are in the market for a quality aging ruckman, it would suggest:

• Darcy Cameron, for whatever reason, and without being tested at AFL level, is not considered an AFL capable ruckman. One would expect that he will be delisted this year.
    • Despite extending Sam Naismith's contract for another 3 years, through 2021, before he played a single game since his ACL injury, is not expected to ever play again.

Our whole policy surrounding the ruck position has long been mystifying to me. We would save list spots and a lot of angst if we just forget that the position of ruckman even exists. If Sinclair goes down, we just bring in Amartey, or have Josh Kennedy ruck until he's too old to play. Ostensibly, we are currently treating the position as a partially negating role filled by someone who is a handy player around the ground. I'm okay with that, but let's not pretend that we want to play a real ruckman.

Should we be surprised if to see Tom Derickx back in the red and white? He's still only 31 and has the same birthday as Noam Chomsky. What more could you want in a ruckman?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    New club emerges as potential landing spot for Goldstein, Jacobs and Ryder | Zero Hanger

Yet another story about the Swans chasing a ruckman.

Is there anything more perplexing than how we are handling our ruck position?

If we are in the market for a quality aging ruckman, it would suggest:

• Darcy Cameron, for whatever reason, and without being tested at AFL level, is not considered an AFL capable ruckman. One would expect that he will be delisted this year.
    • Despite extending Sam Naismith's contract for another 3 years, through 2021, before he played a single game since his ACL injury, is not expected to ever play again.

Our whole policy surrounding the ruck position has long been mystifying to me. We would save list spots and a lot of angst if we just forget that the position of ruckman even exists. If Sinclair goes down, we just bring in Amartey, or have Josh Kennedy ruck until he's too old to play. Ostensibly, we are currently treating the position as a partially negating role filled by someone who is a handy player around the ground. I'm okay with that, but let's not pretend that we want to play a real ruckman.

Should we be surprised if to see Tom Derickx back in the red and white? He's still only 31 and has the same birthday as Noam Chomsky. What more could you want in a ruckman?
    And it's entirely possible that Sam Edmund made this up and you are being controlled by the media. Noam Chomsky would tell you this himself.

Veterans List
    Unless they are a dominant ruckman with sufficient years left in the tank I can't see us chasing one. Faith has been placed in Naismith by the club, let's see how it pans out. No ruckman out there that would clearly replace Sinclair.

Goldstein is 32 next year, Ryder the same, Jacobs has looked cooked the last 18 months, no value in any of those three IMO.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Well he was in the rooms after the game so you never know!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Agree, I'd like to keep Jones but if he wants more than we think he's worth then let him go, we'll get a very good pick in return.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    And it's entirely possible that Sam Edmund made this up and you are being controlled by the media. Noam Chomsky would tell you this himself.
    Brilliant!

McLean looks like he can play a bit. Wasn’t he recruited as a back-up ruckman?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Nothing like these guys in body shape and is easily taller than them.

Blakey is a KPP if I have ever seen one. Add some muscle and he could be the dominant CHF of a generation.
    I think he's too mobile to be wasted as a KPP. I can see him playing Buddy's role when he retires and also spending time on the wing. He's perfect for receiving the kick ins. His foot skills are amongst the best I've seen for someone so new. We need players like him delivering the ball to our forwards, ie. McCartin.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    McLean looks like he can play a bit. Wasn’t he recruited as a back-up ruckman?
    On the webinar Harley was asked about why we recruited Knoll when we already had Cameron, McLean, Amartey. His response about McLean was that he was primarily a forward first and a ruckman second.