Page 210 of 521 FirstFirst ... 110160200206207208209210211212213214220260310 ... LastLast
Results 2,509 to 2,520 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Jones to saints
    Stevens to cats
    Constable to us

?
    I expect a more likely trade would be Jones out, Daniher in, plus further trading between St Kilda, Essendon and possibly other clubs. See below for an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Jones will be a loss. I liked the way he took the game on and tried to bring some run into our play.
    Not sure what might be a worthwhile trade. A 1st or 2nd rounder next year would be useful if Gulden and Campbell maintain their form. Or perhaps St Kilda split pick 5 with GWS so they have two first rounders, one to us for Jones the other to Freo for Hill.
    GWS are not likely to give up their two first-round picks (currently 11 and 15) for pick 5 because they would lose 563 draft points. They would want to hold on to them to have enough points to match an early bid on their academy prospect who could go as early as pick 3. A bid at pick 3 (2234) can be matched with pick 5 (1878), but a bid at pick 2 (2517) cannot.

Such a trade of first-round picks with GWS would need to have another pick included so GWS do not lose draft points. 563 is the exact draft value of pick 33 (provisionally held by Essendon, tied to GWS's position), so the equivalent trade value of a late second-round pick would need to be included. St Kilda's second pick is currently pick 55, so they may need to trade in additional picks.

A possible trade (I'm just making this up to illustrate how complex a "simple" trade can be in reality. An actual trade may be even more complex):
    Sydney pick 23 to Essendon, Essendon's pick 33 and 47 to Sydney (plus a possible exchange of later picks)
    Sydney pick 33 and 58 to St Kilda for St Kilda's 2020 second-round pick
    St Kilda pick 5 and 33 to GWS for pick 11 and 15
    St Kilda pick 11 and 2020 third-round pick to Fremantle for Hill
    St Kilda pick 15 to Sydney for Jones (plus a possible fourth-round pick)
    Sydney pick 15 to Essendon for Daniher (plus a possible exchange of later picks)

This example may not be realistic, but it's pretty clear that St Kilda may get squeezed hard if they want both Jones and Hill. It is likely they will need to trade out a player or two just to get more picks to trade.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

When we look at two other dominant clubs and how they have regenerated via trades vs ours I truly feel that now we have some sal cap room to move we will be quite active this oct

We are a long way behind the trades that Geelong and pies have made the last few years

Pies
    Treloar
    Howe
    Varcoe
    Adams
    Roughead
    Wells
    Beams
    Mayne

Geelong
    Dangerfield
    Ablett
    Rohan
    Dahlhaus
    Stanley
    S.selwood
    Smith

Swans
    Buddy
    Tippett
    Laidler
    Clarke
    Menzel
    Thurlow

Joe Daniher our obvious serious big time trade we appear to want ........but there are still serious Value signings below similar to our Mumford, mcglynn, Kennedy year of trades

Charlie Constable - Jpk grooming and or cut off mobile defender at 191cm which we went after last year

Tom Atkins - Adds serious grunt, extraction and small aggressive forward rotation as well as mid and good mix for our experience at 25yrs like mcglynn years ago from a successful team / season

Lewis Taylor - allows Heeney, Paps, Hayward etc more midfield time

Bennell - big if .........but low cost high reward ?

Jye Caldwell - inside mid and gws Wont be able to afford him 2021 onwards with hopper, caniglio, Greene, Whitfield, kelly, Taranto etc creating havoc with their sal cap

Issac Cumming - HBF we bid on before Hayward a few years back and could allow Mills more midfield rotation time
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 19th September 2019 at 12:52 PM.

Pick 4 for for Hopper at GWS
    Salary squeeze

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    When we look at two other dominant clubs and how they have regenerated via trades vs ours I truly feel that now we have some sal cap room to move we will be quite active this oct

We are a long way behind the trades that Geelong and pies have made the last few years

Pies
    Treloar
    Howe
    Varcoe
    Adams
    Roughead
    Wells
    Beams
    Mayne

Geelong
    Dangerfield
    Ablett
    Rohan
    Dahlhaus
    Stanley
    S.selwood
    Smith

Swans
    Buddy
    Tippett
    Laidler
    Clarke
    Menzel
    Thurlow
    Part of this was due to the ridiculous trade ban that was imposed on the Swans simply for getting Tippett and Franklin in successive years. It's far from a level playing field if Geelong could get Dangerfield, Selwood and Dahlhaus via trades without being penalised as the Swans were.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Agree

but when u came 14th out of 18 teams last season then we must be hunting more serious talent like the pies and cats have done last few years successfully

Organic development needs complimentary trades players for specific roles also

Ie in 2018 we went after very specific players and missed out

Langdon - a cut off defender
    Moore - Ruck Forward
    Vandenberg - explosive mid

We brought in plan B and fairly average affect on our best 22

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Salary squeeze
    I think if they get rid of Patton, they wont be under salary cap pressure.

He's the last of the big back ended contracts where they got caught out (read: shafted) by the AFL ending their start-up salary cap extension earlier than planned.

2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Part of this was due to the ridiculous trade ban that was imposed on the Swans simply for getting Tippett and Franklin in successive years. It's far from a level playing field if Geelong could get Dangerfield, Selwood and Dahlhaus via trades without being penalised as the Swans were.
    Not sure I’d have Dahlhaus and S. Selwood in the same sentence as Danger ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Salary squeeze
    I'd do that, but no way GWS would.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Interesting analysis of Serong (Henney 2.0) by Knightmare;
    AFL Draft Wrap Why Caleb Serong is firming as a top-five choice

The quote that gets my attention; "Imposing himself at stoppages by winning first possession, ground balls inside 50m and tackling aggressively".
    A Swans supporter as well. Wonder if he'll still be there at pick 5/6?

Picks shaping up to be 1,2 GC Rowell & Anderson, 3 Dees a player with speed, 4 Crows a player with speed, 5 GWS Green, 6 swans

I watched part of the Gippsland - Oakleigh game on the weekend. It was too boring to watch the whole game. It was a difficult game for a player to shine. I thought Serong had his moments where he showed his talent. I think Braedon Campbell will be a similar kind of player. Sam Flanders was solid on the inside. He has quick hands and tackles well. Looks more like an inside midfielder. I would rate the 2 pretty close in talent.

Re: Jones. I think Jones for draft picks will be difficult for St Kilda to pull off, not having a 2nd rounder this year and probably having to give up pick 5 for Hill. I still think a swap for Acres looks a real possibility. With so many Saints players on the table, we will probably have to wait to see what assets they have to do a trade.

Veterans List
    I hope Daniher doesn't derail our trade and draft period, particularly as he's not an immediate need nor is he certain to regain fitness.

Saints would be the worst possible destination for Jones, they of all Melbourne clubs are the least able to get a fair trade done for Jones given pick 5 is highly likely what they'll give for Brad Hill.