Page 510 of 521 FirstFirst ... 10410460500506507508509510511512513514520 ... LastLast
Results 6,109 to 6,120 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Champion data rates every teams list.

Category: | Herald Sun

Swans 14 ahead of only Adelaide, Freo, Gold Coast, Carlton (not in that order). Surprised Carlton so low and they have Norf at 6! Brisbane 11.
    Correct Bexl, Champion Data only rate players on their AFL games ba sed on numbers and with a weighting towards the most recent season. I can't read the Hun article but Norf would be so high because they have more players with exposed form. Someone like Hayward would rate low based on 2019 when he battled injury all year but we know he has really high ability. The strength in our list is the potential of youth.

Will the players that have joined our squad for 2020 help us be a more effective team ?

ok.......so the Tigers have proved the last few years that you can be bottom of the ladder on clearances as they were in 2019 (ranked 18th) and still win a GF !!!!

"A clearance being when a player 'clears' the ball out of a stoppage situation - ball-up or boundary throw in; whether it be to the advantage of their own team or the opposition. Either way, it is a clearance because the ball has been cleared out of the crowded area that is a stoppage."

So what statistics besides most goals scored do we want to increase the most?
    Will our new recruits be best positioned to add to the most important stats for the Swans to win more games?

Richmond was equal highest in goals against in 2019 and equal highest in goals scored which was a little surprising re most score against
    Richmond were 3rd for inside 50s and the Swans were 17th !!!!
    Richmond for most other stats are fairly middle of the road except "inside 50s they are 3rd !!!

From what I can observe, the ability to achieve more inside 50s and more goals are the two most important stats for us in 2020 as long as we have continual improvement in the other important stats

The type of players we have added in Taylor and Gray are there because they can add to our inside 50s, goals scored and crumbing / exits but they are not the best at their art in the competition obviously otherwise they would be kept at their clubs and not playing reserves and or only 1 year contract offered

So do we have others that may level jump them in the art of scoring more or entering the 50 more ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Interesting article about the draft: Inside the draft's first round: Twists, turns, bluffs and the big calls - AFL.com.au. Most relevantly for us, it suggests that we would have taken Lachie Ash with our first pick instead of Dyl Stephens if the Giants hadn't taken him first. Also says the Giants were ready to match, and would have matched, a bid for Green at pick 3 (despite having traded 3 first rounders to get their pick 4). Instead they would have traded down their pick 4 before matching. And if for any reason Jackson had not been available, Green was Melbourne's next preference.

The big nearly deal that also had a big impact on the first round was Adelaide nearly agreeing to trade back to Carlton's pick 9. They considered it because they wanted McAsey and hoped he would still be available at pick 9 but they didn't do it because if we had taken Young, Freo might have taken McAsey at pick 8. I don't know how solid the information is but it is interesting to get the window into what was happening behind the scenes.

Veteran Site Admin
    My take on that article was that Freo weren’t especially interested in McAsey, but wanted to make the Crows think they were so as to discourage them from trading with Carlton, who wanted Young or Serong (especially Young).

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    1, 2, 3, 10, 17, 37, 40 are available.

I expect 37 to be kept vacant next year. 40 could go to Rowles, a rookie.

The other players needing numbers: Gould, Stephens, Elijah Taylor, Lewis Taylor, Warner. (Remember, we acquired two Taylors during the trading and draft period.)

Possible numbers:
    1 = Warner
    2 = L. Taylor
    3 = Stephens (obvious choice)
    10 = Gould
    17 = E. Taylor (close enough to 19)
    37 to Taylor. Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    37 to Taylor. Wow.
    must have high hopes for him

- - - Updated - - -

37 to Taylor. Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats E Taylor by the way.

37 to Taylor. Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thats E Taylor by the way.
    High hopes sure. Probably a psychological factor at play too , ‘ this is how highly we think of you , we’re giving you arguably the greatest ever indigenous players number ‘. Trying to inspire, for a guy renowned for talent but less so for work ethic and professionalism, might be a ploy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    I'm really looking forward to Will Gould's future as a Swan and loving his attitude and enthusiasm.

Good as Gould: New Swan 'ecstatic' - sydneyswans.com.au

On playing senior footy next year: "That’s definitely my goal, so we’ll have a crack and see how we go."

Love it! Anyone who 'has a crack' gets my vote. (No bottom barbs please )

Opti-pessi-misti
    Chad Warner looks to be a character. Has a bit of swagger even more than Paps perhaps. I reckon he might ruffle a few opposition feathers along the way, intentionally. Our Zac Jones replacement in the middle maybe.

Senior Player
    Are we there yet ? I can’t wait to see the new recruits playing.

Champion data’s rankings of sides is out.

Our defence is 5, Forwards 7, Mids 13, Ruck 18.

I think that’s not completely unreasonable

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Chad Warner looks to be a character. Has a bit of swagger even more than Paps perhaps. I reckon he might ruffle a few opposition feathers along the way, intentionally. Our Zac Jones replacement in the middle maybe.
    I see him as a bit of a mix between Jude Bolton and Brad Hogg, the cricketer.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Champion data’s rankings of sides is out.

Our defence is 5, Forwards 7, Mids 13, Ruck 18.

I think that’s not completely unreasonable
    I can't pretend to be intimately acquainted with all the teams ruck divisions but 18th seems a bit harsh. I think they have been marked down because they haven't been on the park, so I think we're a bit better than that. Surely we're better than, say, Geelong? Otherwise, no complaints.

hmmm mids 13

concerning but probably a fair assessment of where we are still at in the mids in comparison to the top6 teams........after that hard to navigate those stats and marginal for the teams 7 to 16 me thinks
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"