Page 141 of 521 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191241 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,692 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by tlock View Post
    Franklin, hasn't worked out so well for us.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by tlock View Post
    Swans recruitment should go back in history and learn from our tried and tested premiership-winning formula of recruiting fringe players from other clubs like Ted Richards, Mumford, Josh Kennedy, McGlynn, Mattner, Jolly etc. that turned into gems.
    Are you forgetting: Lockett, Hall, Tippett, Franklin ... We've got a long history of recruiting marquee forwards rather than drafting them.

The timing is all wrong for us to have a big year at the trade table. We may be forced if Papley wants to leave, but otherwise, I don't think we should make big commitments to players before we actually are headed up the ladder.

The best time to go big on trade is when there is a specific role to fill that will clearly help the team move in the right direction. For example, when Richmond were already a strong team, they went after Tom Lynch as a free agent.

If by next year we demonstrate a need for another tall forward, and Daniher has a good and healthy year, then we should go after him in free agency.

Not worried about Serong's height; Lachie Neale is 177cm.

I can understand that a lot of clubs would be looking to get Papley, but we don't hear if he's interested or what the circumstances are that Papley would want to leave the Swans while still under contract. It's been intimated that it might be a girlfriend issue. Okay then, but why don't we hear this coming from the those journos making the claim that Papley is on the move?

Veterans List
    Papley going no where IMO, about the most invested player at the club, red and white to the core and wearing grandfather's number now.

Daniher, if he wants to come, get him for free next year and when he's proven his injuries aren't career ending. We've only just got free of the debilitating cap pressure, don't need it to return!

Pick 4 should not be traded/swapped under any circumstances, will get us a very good player. All our youth will be a year older next year and a season more experienced, no problem continuing to stockpile talented youth as a list management policy. Trade in marquee players for specific need when we start our rise up the ladder. Daniher is not a current need, an expensive in $ and trade Daniher is definitely not a need, wait 12 months and reassess

We don’t need to give up pick 4 in my opinion if we trade smart to give our team the best opportunity for success

I agree with others on not trading out our number 4. Use it to obtain a great young talent. If Papley does want out, then we should receive a first rounder for him which we could then use to acquire a good, experienced player from elsewhere e.g. one of the Crouch brothers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I don’t buy into the belief that pick 4 “guarantees” us a good player. I think it increases our chances, but drafting is very hit and miss.

Look at pick 4 over the past 10 years:

Max King
    Luke Davies-Uniacke
    Ben Ainsworth
    Clayton Oliver
    Jarrod Pickett
    The Bont
    Jimmy Toumpas
    Will Hoskin-Elliott
    Andrew Gaff
    Anthony Morabito

I would say trading pick 4 for a player with exposed form is much more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I don’t buy into the belief that pick 4 “guarantees” us a good player. I think it increases our chances, but drafting is very hit and miss.

Max King
    Luke Davies-Uniacke
    Ben Ainsworth
    Clayton Oliver
    Jarrod Pickett
    The Bont
    Jimmy Toumpas
    Will Hoskin-Elliott
    Andrew Gaff
    Anthony Morabito

I would say trading pick 4 for a player with exposed form is much more reliable.
    Yep about 50/50 as to whether you are going to get a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Max King
    Luke Davies-Uniacke
    Ben Ainsworth
    Clayton Oliver
    Jarrod Pickett
    The Bont
    Jimmy Toumpas
    Will Hoskin-Elliott
    Andrew Gaff
    Anthony Morabito

Agreed. Drafting is still a subjective art full of bias and emotion.

For example many good players are over looked/ taken lower down in drafts as they are not considered capable of further development and other lesser players are taken in their place who are nowhere near as good but considered capable of further development. I think I read once that this was one of the reasons why Parker went at 40 despite virtually winning every best and fairest at his club as a junior and being picked in the tac cup team of the year and vic country sides at 18s level.

I think some people are underestimating Hayward. Hayward may have had a down year this year (he also had an injury) but he is a gun and I have no doubt he is a big part of the Swans successful future.

I also am not giving up on Ronke, although I don't rate him as highly as Hayward. Ronke had a breakout year last year and has fallen back to earth big time this year but there is time for him to come back and show his worth and I am backing him to do that.

There are also some people here who underrate Hewett. AG - how could you possibly leave him out of our starting line up?! Hewett and Dawson are both absolute stars - although everyone seems to agree about Dawson, not enough people give Hewett the credit he is due.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think some people are underestimating Hayward. Hayward may have had a down year this year (he also had an injury) but he is a gun and I have no doubt he is a big part of the Swans successful future.

I also am not giving up on Ronke, although I don't rate him as highly as Hayward. Ronke had a breakout year last year and has fallen back to earth big time this year but there is time for him to come back and show his worth and I am backing him to do that.

There are also some people here who underrate Hewett. AG - how could you possibly leave him out of our starting line up?! Hewett and Dawson are both absolute stars - although everyone seems to agree about Dawson, not enough people give Hewett the credit he is due.
    My sentiments too.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but after going back 5 pages of this thread I cannot see any Haywood negativity.

Who has underestimated him?