Page 72 of 521 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Unless they are a dominant ruckman with sufficient years left in the tank I can't see us chasing one. Faith has been placed in Naismith by the club, let's see how it pans out. No ruckman out there that would clearly replace Sinclair.

Goldstein is 32 next year, Ryder the same, Jacobs has looked cooked the last 18 months, no value in any of those three IMO.
    I'm with Ludwig, its puzzling because Naismith is 27 in a couple of weeks, and assuming he doesn't get back on the park this year (which is looking likely) he will have played 28 matches in 6 seasons.

He's a good tap ruckman, average around the ground, and has the durability of Stephen Doyle, that's a lot of faith.

As for what we are doing with Cameron, Amartey, McClean, Knoll etc. it's a complete mystery

I think we are freeing up cap space for a new ruck but we have a couple plan Bs in our team now

and time on our side this season and pre season given our ladder position

Competition is tight at training between the rocks at the minute and all striving but we can cut a few heading into next year easily if we need $

Naismith would be on fairly below avge $ and same with the other guys

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I think we are freeing up cap space for a new ruck but we have a couple plan Bs in our team now

and time on our side this season and pre season given our ladder position

Competition is tight at training between the rocks at the minute and all striving but we can cut a few heading into next year easily if we need $

Naismith would be on fairly below avge $ and same with the other guys
    Grundy??????

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I'm with Ludwig, its puzzling because Naismith is 27 in a couple of weeks, and assuming he doesn't get back on the park this year (which is looking likely) he will have played 28 matches in 6 seasons.

He's a good tap ruckman, average around the ground, and has the durability of Stephen Doyle, that's a lot of faith.

As for what we are doing with Cameron, Amartey, McClean, Knoll etc. it's a complete mystery
    Donkey Doyle nearly won us a flag in '06. Don't diss the donk.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Donkey Doyle nearly won us a flag in '06. Don't diss the donk.
    He had a lot of talent, just never stayed on the park for long enough, injuries ultimately forced him into retirement (following the Swans F/S curse!)

Instead of Braydon Sier, how about Matthew Kennedy as another option? He's a NSW boy (Riverina/Wagga), he was a first round draft pick 4 years ago and he's not getting a game at Carlton. As alarming as that last bit sounds, maybe we could get him cheap and make something of him? He's listed at 190 cm and 88 kg and described (by Carlton FC) thusly: Kennedy’s inside-mid bullocking brings added grunt around stoppages, but he is also an aerialist who brings versatility. Here's his 2015 draft profile from afldraftcentral.com.au: 2015 Draft Profile: Matthew Kennedy - Aussie Rules Draft Central. Back in the day he was rated 6th best by Callum Twomey - 2015 draft: Phantom form guide update - AFL.com.au - and also by Knightmare aka Chris Doerre: Knightmare's 2015 Draft Almanac | BigFooty. Clearly he hasn't come on in the way expected and I can't claim to have seen him play, but maybe others have?

It is a worry that he's not been able to get a game at the Blues!

Veteran Site Admin
    LISTEN: The Swans' plans for their first top-10 pick in 10 years - AFL.com.au

This is well worth a listen. (Yes, you do have to put up with Cal Twomey but he's not too bad, and Nat Edwards keeps things moving along well.) It features an interview with Simon Dalrymple and touches on:
    - a brief assessment of recent players the Swans have drafted
    - what the Swans' needs are for the upcoming draft
    - Academy prospects over the next couple of drafts
    - what makes an ideal player
    - the decision making and review processes involved in drafting
    - how the pick trade that landed Rowbottom came about
    - medium term list management strategies

Simon doesn't give a whole lot away but it still provides some insights that I'd not heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    LISTEN: The Swans' plans for their first top-10 pick in 10 years - AFL.com.au

This is well worth a listen. (Yes, you do have to put up with Cal Twomey but he's not too bad, and Nat Edwards keeps things moving along well.) It features an interview with Simon Dalrymple and touches on:
    - a brief assessment of recent players the Swans have drafted
    - what the Swans' needs are for the upcoming draft
    - Academy prospects over the next couple of drafts
    - what makes an ideal player
    - the decision making and review processes involved in drafting
    - how the pick trade that landed Rowbottom came about
    - medium term list management strategies

Simon doesn't give a whole lot away but it still provides some insights that I'd not heard before.
    Thanks for sharing the link. Highly recommended! If I had the chance to meet any of the Swan's staff, I'd have a coffee with Kinnear. Simon sounds like a great pick up from the Dogs. Lots of love for our recruitment / list management team here.

Some weren't sure that Rowbottom was our 2nd pick target, but SD makes it fairly clear that he was. I also got the feeling the McInerney was another target that were very pleased to get. The 2018 draft and trading is looking a strong winner for us. Whenever you get 3 quality AFL players in a draft, it's a big winner. On balance, I think we did okay in the trade period as well.

We're missing 5 key veteran players, Hanners, McVeigh, Smith, Reg and Jack, and seem to be going just fine without them. And we still have a few guys playing ressies who could come in and play a role.

It all points to a bright future and some of it is already on display.

I listened to the podcast and found it interesting and informative. His discussion of how recruiting was now very evidence based was especially interesting. No gut feel or speculation these days.

So you say he is good inside? What are his tackle numbers, contested ball gets? So he is a good runner? What are his GPS numbers? What did he say in the interviews? Can he handle adversity? How will he go living away from mum and dad? What do his past coaches say about his strengths and weaknesses?

Recruiting has come a long way!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk