Page 513 of 521 FirstFirst ... 13413463503509510511512513514515516517 ... LastLast
Results 6,145 to 6,156 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Just on the 20m sprint test at combine , I think at times it can me a little misleading in that Sometimes it can overstate or understate a players pace. I wonder if including a 10mtr sprint and 40 mtr sprint as well would give better indications. Some guys explode away in a few steps but taper off from there, and some guys only really start hitting top speed after 20 or more and then they are off like the wind. Just a thought, but something I’ve often wondered about when looking at those sprint results and seeing guys in action on the field .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its a little like the 2km time trial - I think it used to be 3 and Im sure I saw one club has done 3kms at the start of preseason this year. Some guys can still run all day but not necessarily be fast over the 2kms. I assume they chose the 2km as its the sort of pace running required at afl level and its predominately trained for by doing multiple 400m runs which is pretty characteristic of the type of running you would do in a game.

In respect of the 20m sprint , one thing I notice is that a good 100 metre sprinter will invariably be good over 20m plus but maybe not so much over 10m due to the factors you speak of . So it levels out a bit more the agility sprinters (who are good over the first ten as you say ) with the longer sprinters.

Dalrymple has been quoted how much they value and review lateral speed / specifically exit speed from contests

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Dalrymple has been quoted how much they value and review lateral speed / specifically exit speed from contests
    Having watched a fair bit of the Lions last season, that was something that impressed me with their game. Richmond also. Since it was an area that I thought we could improve on, I'm glad that we're working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    A lot actually grew up in the city now. Whether that be Perth, Mandurah or Bunbury.

The biggest misconception is “making the big league” to earn the big bucks. Indigenous culture has you share your wealth around, whether that be a sport life or professional academic career. Perfect example is the great indigenous artist Albert Namatjira who died basically broke.

Albert Namatjira - Wikipedia

You play for the love of the sport and fun. It’s never about you earning big money for you.

You watch the boomerangs n you’ll see a talent laden side that looks like just about every player would get drafted but the majority don’t n imo it’s because being famous n earning the big bucks is not the number one priority in their life. It’s the love of sport. Fun n enjoyment. Which sadly is getting lost from the money driven AFL landscape.
    I so agree with this. So called professionalism has been detrimental to the game. Players are no longer enjoying the game the way we used to. They know that success or the lack of it may mean the end of their careers.

I shudder every time Bruce or that old Full Forward start talking about Aboriginal magic. It makes me very uncomfortable. Why? Because it is racial profiling. I prefer to take players on their merits. Yes I sometimes compare players to others who have come before them but not on a racial basis. Sometimes there will be an Indigenous player who reminds me of another Indigenous player. Bell reminds me of a young Mickey I.

But Sydney Stack reminds me of a bloke called Jimmy Rawson who played for Glenelg in the '70's. He was white not Indigenous. For me who players remind me of is

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I just read the Papley interview online on the AFL website. It would seem that he is very committed to the Swans for the coming season but very uncommital beyond that. Seems to have some serious family issues to deal with back home.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    His girlfriend is a nurse in Melbourne. This is the major driving factor. Reportedly, she will not consider moving to Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    His girlfriend is a nurse in Melbourne. This is the major driving factor. Reportedly, she will not consider moving to Sydney

He should consider not dating her anymore. Anyway he’s with us for the year and under contract so if he pulls this stunt again , we’ll be paid handsomely for him , or we’ll revisit the following year!

I so agree with this. So called professionalism has been detrimental to the game. Players are no longer enjoying the game the way we used to. They know that success or the lack of it may mean the end of their careers.

I shudder every time Bruce or that old Full Forward start talking about Aboriginal magic. It makes me very uncomfortable. Why? Because it is racial profiling. I prefer to take players on their merits. Yes I sometimes compare players to others who have come before them but not on a racial basis. Sometimes there will be an Indigenous player who reminds me of another Indigenous player. Bell reminds me of a young Mickey I.

But Sydney Stack reminds me of a bloke called Jimmy Rawson who played for Glenelg in the '70's. He was white not Indigenous. For me who players remind me of is

Mickey O’s nickname is a shortened version of “black Magic”. I see what your saying but I’m not sure I agree. I guess I would like to hear how indigenous players fans fell about it, if they had an issue then sure , don’t say it. But just because someone from outside the culture believes it’s a little Politically incorrect , doesn’t necessarily make it so.

interestingly in an interview with Tony Bamford coach of the SA U18s team he discussed the experiment with Will Gould playing some midfield and said Will found it a little unfamiliar but did say Gould is a very good forward as he was in the 16s as a FF..........but feels that Gould is best behind the ball in defence
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    interestingly in an interview with Tony Bamford coach of the SA U18s team he discussed the experiment with Will Gould playing some midfield and said Will found it a little unfamiliar but did say Gould is a very good forward as he was in the 16s as a FF..........but feels that Gould is best behind the ball in defence
    It will be interesting to see what they do with him. Based on what little we kniw of him at present, our first challenge will be to build his running capacity up to AFL level.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Veterans List

I think we should make him play out his contract and let him go. With hindsight us older folk can see that Tom's time away from Melbourne is but a short part of his and her lives, but many live for the moment. I am sure she could walk into a job at a hospital in Sydney. He is clearly the major bread winner but the problem for us is he can be the major bread winner in Melbourne. I wonder if he had a high paying professional occupation in Sydney whether the situation would be different.

It’s clear RWO needs to intervene and find him a Sydney based girlfriend. Any takers?

Senior Player
    I'm not necessarily sure that the girlfriend is the sole deciding factor, reading between the lines there may be something more to it than that (although I could be wrong of course!)

What female in her early 20's wouldn't want to come and live in Sydney for a few years with their highly paid AFL boyfriend??