Page 450 of 521 FirstFirst ... 350400440446447448449450451452453454460500 ... LastLast
Results 5,389 to 5,400 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    To me, "fresh start" isn't a particularly convincing reason. If he said something along the lines of, the pressure in Melbourne is too much, or I would prefer to be somewhere where I'm not constantly recognised, or I've heard that the Swans have a great rehab system, or I want to be part of the Swans culture, or even, my girlfriend wants me to move to Sydney; then I would consider these to be actual reasons (to varying degrees). Whereas a fresh start, is more a verbal shrug of the shoulders, or something that somebody says, when they don't want to discuss their genuine motivations.
    +1

McVeigh interview is on the site

Midfield mix a win: McVeigh - sydneyswans.com.au

“We’ve got a really good balance, I think. And with the draft coming up as well, we’ve got a high pick, so there’s a chance we land a good young midfielder,” McVeigh told SwansTV. “To work with Joey (Josh Kennedy) and Parks (Luke Parker) and George Hewett on a different level will be fantastic."

“We then want to get a good mix of those young boys coming through the midfield. I look forward to working with those younger players like Ollie Florent and also Nick Blakey, who might run through the midfield this year. To work with those guys will be fantastic.”

On the Rookie List
    A lot of words without saying anything! I think there is more to play out here.

Veteran Site Admin
    It was clearly quite a scripted press message and I wouldn't have expected him to say anything different. I liked his comment that he wouldn't be having his conversations with his team mates via the media.

Was telling to read that he's still having problems running, despite him and the Bombers pulling his 2019 season about a third of the way through the season. It emphasises the risk that Sydney were taking by even thinking of trading him in, let alone for the trade bounty that the Bombers felt entitled to.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It was clearly quite a scripted press message and I wouldn't have expected him to say anything different. I liked his comment that he wouldn't be having his conversations with his team mates via the media.

Was telling to read that he's still having problems running, despite him and the Bombers pulling his 2019 season about a third of the way through the season. It emphasises the risk that Sydney were taking by even thinking of trading him in, let alone for the trade bounty that the Bombers felt entitled to.
    Even the bounty we were prepared to offer seems risky if it’s true that he isn’t even running properly yet !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, but if you had two players of equal ability, but one was a Toby admirer, while the other thought that Toby's constant tribunal appearances were a problem; then which one should we choose?
    True. Personally I would put him behind Ash, Serong and Young for us anyway. His disposal in the clips I saw lacked polish.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    True. Personally I would put him behind Ash, Serong and Young for us anyway. His disposal in the clips I saw lacked polish.
    I'm not enthused by the idea of Flanders with pick 5. Ludwig commented a month or so back that the midfielders touted in that 4-10 range this year seem like players you'd normally be happy to pick up in the second round. Flanders - based admittedly on limited vision and descriptions - seems to epitomise that. Bear in mind we got Parker with pick 40 and Hanners with pick 30. Great value choices and both players who have way outperformed their draft ranking, but each with some limitations. For a top rare top 5 pick you kinda hope you're going to get someone with a bit of silk.

I'm not enthused by the idea of Flanders with pick 5. Ludwig commented a month or so back that the midfielders touted in that 4-10 range this year seem like players you'd normally be happy to pick up in the second round. Flanders - based admittedly on limited vision and descriptions - seems to epitomise that. Bear in mind we got Parker with pick 40 and Hanners with pick 30. Great value choices and both players who have way outperformed their draft ranking, but each with some limitations. For a top rare top 5 pick you kinda hope you're going to get someone with a bit of silk.
    Yes.... and so, who would you like us to pick, liz? I'm interpreting your comment to mean you'll be happy if we get Young but I'm not sure who you'll want if he's gone. Can I interpret your comment to show favour to Serong? Or Ash?

I also felt underwhelmed by Flanders based on viewing his highlights but I have read some very positive commentary aside from that and the most recent blatherings of the punditocracy have us taking him. The fact we keep talking about midfielders also suggests it might be him (or Robertson? or Serong??). I will be pretty happy with Young because I feel like we can get good midfielders with our later picks and Young seems to have something really special even if it isn't what we most need. I'm happy to trust our recruiters, I'm just impatient and curious to see who they pick. And slightly nervous.

It seems unlikely he'll get to us but Bianco seems a good option. Apparently the knock on him is that he's slow and not very big. But his upside is that he's a beautiful kick on both sides of his body, and a leader. Sounds like potentially another Sam Mitchell to me.

While the lead up to the draft has been excruciatingly slow, it's getting a bit better as it gets closer. Things are getting a little bit more concrete. It's probably better than how it's going to be for the two months after next week. Sigh.

He is an inside mid who is described as both explosive and strong. Allegedly he has good hands but needs to work on his kicking, which is pretty obvious from the highlights reel. I think the reason he's being talked about as a top-5 pick is his eye-catching performances at the end of the season.

Young gun enhances top-five claims with stunning performance - AFL.com.au

In a game against an Oakleigh side containing Rowell and Anderson, Flanders got BOG for 4 goals, 27 disposals (16 contested), nine clearances and seven tackles. Serong playing in the same Gippsland Power side got 29 disposals, nine clearances and seven inside-50 entries.

Serong looks a better ball user, but I think Flanders has more potential "X factor". I would still rather Serong, I think.

I do partly agree , also based on limited vision . But he is so highly rated by the people that do watch a lot of these young guys through the year , and they talk about his explosiveness ( which you don’t really see in the highlights ) and his ability to go forward and take a grab ( which you see a bit of ). Plus his consistency and ability to really impact the result of the game. I dunno, maybe he just has a dud highlights package ? His combine stats were very good , he’s right up there in running and standing vertical jump , agility test and yo-yo test. And he kicked 4 goals in a qtr on one game. If that’s who we end up with I’ll be happy , even if the package we’ve seen isn’t super. I trust that the people who are paid to be all over this stuff know what they’re talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Even the bounty we were prepared to offer seems risky if it’s true that he isn’t even running properly yet !
    We may have dodged a bullet. Time will tell.