Page 439 of 521 FirstFirst ... 339389429435436437438439440441442443449489 ... LastLast
Results 5,257 to 5,268 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I don't think there will be a pure inside midfielder around pick 5 unless we get Green or reach for Robertson. So we may end up targeting best available even if they are an outside player, hydrid midfielder or ruck. And then target an inside midfielder with our second and third picks.

I would not want to trade down too much. Fremantle's pick 10 might not be too bad. Because there is likely to be at least two of Serong, Ash, Kemp, Robertson, McAsey or Stephens still available to choose from.

I would not mind Jackson if we think we will play two rucks. It would give him opportunity to get game time as a Forward/Ruck. Otherwise we would have a young WA player sitting in the reserves for two years like Darcy Cameron. I also like the idea of Young if Melbourne don't select him. A good attacking kicker like Dawson off wing or half back makes a difference.
    I think this largely makes sense, particularly that one of Kemp, Serong etc would be around at Freo’s pick 10 and they’d love to be able to get another pick in before Liam Henry.

But the club may also think it will get a better player at 5 (hence the Daniher shenanigans) and/or have a plan to trade up and down on the night (as it did with WCE for Blakey last year).

Live trading makes it very hard to predict what might happen. And must increase recruiters workloads enormously!

I'm not convinced that any of Stoddart, Ling or McInerney will come through to fill the "run and carry" role out defence. Ling has shown no sign of being able to fully shake his lower limb injuries, Stoddart looks uncertain at AFL level and McInerney still looks very raw.

If we can't get ourselves an inside midfielder we rate at 5, perhaps we should look at Lachie Ash. Good height and speed, might just be the guy to provide leg speed and drive out of defence. Imagine the scenario of Dawson with his laser left and Ash with speed cutting up the opposition.

Good thoughts all. While I can see the appeal of trading down in the draft as you suggest, Ludwig, I don't think it will happen for the same reasons as you, Melbourne_Blood. I think we want to get a really rolled gold selection that we know is going to be a success, and hopefully a bit special, rather than anything a bit speculative. For this reason I can't really see us going for Kemp. I am optimistic we'll get good players with our other picks too, wherever they wind up. I'll be curious to see if we reach for anyone again this year (like with Rowbottom and McInerney last year). I think we'll draft a KPD at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    For those who love watching draft prospect footage leading up to and even after the draft (like me!), the draft prospect video's are now up on the AFL website!

Enjoy playing recruitment manager and dreaming of which next champion we should be selecting on draft night! Lol. Looking forward to hearing people's opinions after getting a look at some of these highlights!

AFL Draft Prospects - AFL.com.au

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Ta. I had a look at 8 or 9 of those highlight packages. The guy that impressed me most was Kysaiah Pickett. Such an array of silky smooth skills. Not sure if he's on our radar, as he's a Caleb Daniel sized forward, and we just added a couple of small forwards? But still, with skills like that, surely he would be worth our pick 32. And Draft Central reckon that with a bit of endurance work, he could be converted to an outside mid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I'm not convinced that any of Stoddart, Ling or McInerney will come through to fill the "run and carry" role out defence. Ling has shown no sign of being able to fully shake his lower limb injuries, Stoddart looks uncertain at AFL level and McInerney still looks very raw.

If we can't get ourselves an inside midfielder we rate at 5, perhaps we should look at Lachie Ash. Good height and speed, might just be the guy to provide leg speed and drive out of defence. Imagine the scenario of Dawson with his laser left and Ash with speed cutting up the opposition.
    You may be right that none of our current running players are going to make it.

Such an intriguing draft this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Ta. I had a look at 8 or 9 of those highlight packages. The guy that impressed me most was Kysaiah Pickett. Such an array of silky smooth skills. Not sure if he's on our radar, as he's a Caleb Daniel sized forward, and we just added a couple of small forwards? But still, with skills like that, surely he would be worth our pick 32. And Draft Central reckon that with a bit of endurance work, he could be converted to an outside mid.
    Yeah, but it seems doubtful he'll last as long as pick 32. There's talk that he might bolt into the first round.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Yeah, but it seems doubtful he'll last as long as pick 32. There's talk that he might bolt into the first round.
    Has been invited to the first round evening so he must be on at least one clubs radar in the late teens. You would have to think the two SA clubs would grab him somewhere in the 20s at the latest.

He's been linked to the Dogs at pick 13, and could go even earlier according to some. Not sure he will though.

Knightmare's updated phantom draft, expanded to 3 rounds: Updated AFL Phantom Draft The first three rounds. Has us taking Young at 6 (that seems like a win), Ralphsmith at 26, Taylor at 32 and Chirgwin at 43. Not so sure about these latter picks although they certainly have promise. We would be ignoring: Schoenberg, Dow, Taheny, Giorgiades, De Koning, Williams, Byrnes and Philp among others and we wouldn't have taken a KPD.

Veterans List

I was impressed by McInernery in the NEAFL. He was prepared to try to break the lines. I think he has quite a bit of improvement. I know Ludwig is bullish on Ling and Stoddart but I am not so. In Ling's defence we haven't seen a whole of him. But a good pre-season can see dramatic improvement in young players.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Knightmare's updated phantom draft, expanded to 3 rounds: Updated AFL Phantom Draft The first three rounds. Has us taking Young at 6 (that seems like a win), Ralphsmith at 26, Taylor at 32 and Chirgwin at 43. Not so sure about these latter picks although they certainly have promise. We would be ignoring: Schoenberg, Dow, Taheny, Giorgiades, De Koning, Williams, Byrnes and Philp among others and we wouldn't have taken a KPD.
    I think if we take Young then Mills and Dawson will definitely be splitting time in the middle in 2020. Something I'd be very happy to see. I think we'll be taking a tall defender with 26 or 32. It's a position we need a bit of depth in and one of those picks can be a bit of a prospect who needs to put on weight. If Worrell is available to us at 26 I'll be furious if we don't take him. SDK at either of those picks would also fit the bill. Ralphsmith and Chirgwin are interesting, as they do fit our list requirements. I'm not convinced we need Taylor at all. We have a surplus of small forwards with a nose for goal.
    If we do miss out on Luke Jackson, somebody like Callum Jamieson or Charlie Comben might be a good grab in the 40's as ultimately, ruckmen can be taken late and developed over a few years, and our youngest pure ruck at the moment is Knoll who is 25. So getting a young bloke in who can get to work in the NEAFL from day 1 to develop at his own pace could be a worthwhile investment. Amartey and McLean are hybrid rucks in my mind.

Fair enough not being convinced with these guys, as none of them has done anything to to be convincing. As for Ling, his 2 injuries were unrelated, but he definitely needs to get on track at some point, even if it's just a matter of bad luck up till now.

I feel that if Stoddart and Ling don't make a serious impact at AFL level, the Swans could be in the doldrums for quite some time. We aren't deep enough a squad where we can afford too many gaps in successful draft years. We did get Heeney and Melican in 2014, but overall it was a draft where we didn't add enough players to take the place of exiting players. We need to get more than just McCartin from our 2017 draft or the young talent we hope to lead the next assault on the flag will run too thin.