Page 379 of 521 FirstFirst ... 279329369375376377378379380381382383389429479 ... LastLast
Results 4,537 to 4,548 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Harley was very respectfully interviewed by Garry Lyon this morning. It's worth a listen: Harley: Clearly there is disappointment - sydneyswans.com.au

I thought Harley conducted himself with integrity in the interview. Harley is a decent person, who was put in a difficult position over this issue. He is clearly a mentor for Daniher. Sounds like Joe has been struggling a bit, feels isolated, and has approached us for a trade.

I suspect we wouldn't have solicited the trade. I suspect we preferred pick 5. But Harley had to manage his professional responsibilities and his personal regard for Daniher, as well as the bull@@@@ in the media. He's done it very well.

I wanted Daniher, for the right price. I think he'll get over his injuries and be a gun. He'd probably be better here, than playing for a dysfunctional club. I feel like he showed taste by seeking to come to a club which would look out for his interests He sounds like a good person. I hope he's a Swan in 12 months, but whatever happens, I hope he goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Did they do it to Andrew Ireland?
    Tom Harley is a much better and more polished speaker than Andrew Ireland. Ireland stumbles a lot and doesn’t complete sentences, changing his thought process half way through.

I’m not criticising Ireland, his job was to be an excellent CEO and he was. Unfortunately though his public speaking skills are not good. As an example he was never able to convincingly explain the COLA/Tippett/Franklin story which left the Swans vulnerable to attack. (That said, we would have been attacked on COLA no matter what Ireland said or how he said it.)

In my view some on RWO are reading/listening to too much about the trade period . Who cares what these commentators say now? The success or otherwise of trade & draft movements only becomes clear over the next couple of playing seasons.

I suggest you turn your attention to the cricket season!

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    As with most organisations these days I’m sure the Swans measure online sentiment on social media etc. only they could say whether it played a part in decision making (I suspect not) however it would have alerted them to a serious fan backlash if the deal went through and we’d paid too much.

One of the broadcasts last night lamented Longmire as the worst of the coaches for not giving anything away at press conferences.

The Daniher situation has been carefully messaged since first being revealed.

I don’t for a moment believe the official line that it was just ‘two friends catching up for a coffee’. We will probably never know what happened but the Swans official lines are are all open to interpretation e.g. ‘it developed late’.

Re Papley - now is the time to renegotiate his contract. He deserves more money and if he signs then the club can plan for him staying long term. If he doesn’t sign, then it gives us 12 months to work out a fair exchange with Carlton.
    Hold on re Papley. Assess the situation, if he is going anyhow why upgrade a contract with the ink still wet on it ? If the club can't get the girl romanced to come to Sydney then give it away and use the years left on his contract as a great tool on the negotiation table.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Jake Niall in The Age. Yep, set the record straight.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...16-p531f3.html
    Two parts of that article stand out for me.

"The reality of the Daniher non-deal is that it was Daniher, not the Swans, who drove the request for him to be traded. Sydney were more than happy to have Joe – as any club would – but their ardour for Daniher had clear limits, and they did not buckle."

.....and we can shove that fact right up Barrett's clacker.

"That three players – Daniher, Papley and Martin – were all stranded, signalled a power shift, however momentary, back to the clubs. The pattern of contracted players demanding trades and getting their wish has been disrupted."

.....and we can 'present' that to all the mummys boys who use 'home sickness' to break contracts and get their way (not so much directed at Paps).

At least we have some intelligent sports journo's left in blokes like Niall.

It's clear the Swans weren't 'playing the game' to the same extent as some other clubs during trade week but in saying that there was only one logical source to the earlier revelation that Papley had triggered an extension in his contract.

Meantime Tom's manager had his hand in the story about being desperately unhappy in Sydney and Essendon's people seemed to have a direct line to Matthew Lloyd to set the media agenda each day.

It's all very messy but that's how the sausage is made. You also have to laugh when they all front the media later saying everyone acted respectfully to each other.

One final thing. Journalists rating clubs' trade week performance is probably one of the most useless exercises going around. Here is a helpful hint: the clubs with the highest ratings are probably the clubs who leak the most to the media. It's just journalists looking after their mates. The fact Sydney has been routinely slammed by the so-called experts probably indicates our guys refused to speak to anyone.
    Very good post.

The Daniher situation has been carefully messaged since first being revealed.

I don’t for a moment believe the official line that it was just ‘two friends catching up for a coffee’. We will probably never know what happened but the Swans official lines are are all open to interpretation e.g. ‘it developed late’.
    I think these things are rarely as black and white as fans and media make them out to be. Here's a transcript of the actual conversation*

Tom: So how are you doing, Joe?
    Joe: Not so great, actually - being injured sucks. The docs tell me one thing, then another, nothing ever seems to get better. I'm just over it. Over being injured, over football, over everything.
    Tom: Maybe you need a break, or a change or something? Got any plans?
    Joe: I'm going away for a bit for a holiday. How are things in Sydney?
    Tom: Just brilliant. Randwick, Paddington area are fantastic. I wouldn't want to be too far west - it's completely rubbish around Homebush, but if you're in the eastern suburbs then things are great.
    Joe: Really? Sounds nice
    Tom: Yep. Anyway, gotta get back to the club. I've gotta catch up with KB to talk about trade period. I'll give you a call soon, ok?
    Joe: You know, I'd really like that.
    Harley can cross his heart and swear that a trade was never discussed or even mentioned. But perhaps a seed was planted?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    "That three players – Daniher, Papley and Martin – were all stranded, signalled a power shift, however momentary, back to the clubs. The pattern of contracted players demanding trades and getting their wish has been disrupted."

.....and we can 'present' that to all the mummys boys who use 'home sickness' to break contracts and get their way (not so much directed at Paps).

At least we have some intelligent sports journo's left in blokes like Niall.
    Hear! Hear! Quote of trade period for me was from Kinnear Beatson "We don't owe anyone anything, mate. They're professional footballers with contracts".

I think a lot of fans and media seem to forget that, but the clubs don't, and the good players don't either. Has anyone seen Moneyball? The scene I always remember is where Beane (Pitt) teaches Brand (Hill) how to tell a player he's been let go - "These are professional baseball players. You just do it. 'Peter, I need to let you go. Jack’s office’ll handle the paperwork.' Now professional baseball is certainly more ruthless than the AFL, but I think fans think that clubs are much more wishy-washy than they actually are.

Senior Player
    Anyone with a passing interest in professional sports would be bemused by the “go home factor” in AFL. Look at the CV's of some footballers ( soccer ) many of them have played on 3 or 4 different continents by the time they retire. Look at some of the players going around in the A League who, in the most part, will be on much less money than AFL players. They do this because they are professionals and that is the nature of their chosen sport. It is often mentioned as a benefit by players that they get to see the world and get paid to do something they love.
    NBA players move city’s almost overnight and professional leagues around the world are stocked with ex NBA players who have chosen to pursue their profession even if not at the highest possible level simply because they are professionals and let’s face it it probably beats working for a living.
    Clubs treating players as commodities is not the ideal situation but at the end of the day it is simply the business they are in.
    Players have the ultimate control in that they can choose not to be a part of it if they wish.

I don’t think we need his skills as a top18 player but would come cheap with experience and depth for our squad to function when injuries strike etc....More as a HBF depth then wing

https://m.saints.com.au/video/2019-07-13/newnes-hits-150

———
    AFL.com

CARLTON is eyeing a play to land St Kilda's Jack Newnes for free after the midfielder was left without a contract following Wednesday's trade deadline.

A restricted free agent entering the off-season, Newnes had previously turned down a two-year offer from the Saints to explore his options on the open market.

Sydney also explored the option of recruiting Newnes at the end of 2018, despite the hard-running wingman having a year to run on his contract at Moorabbin.

Newnes held the longest active streak of consecutive games (123) in the AFL up until round 14 this year when he was dropped by now-departed coach Alan Richardson.

The 26-year-old played a variety of roles at St Kilda in 2019 after he was left out of the leadership group but is seen as a wingman.

186cm
    82kg
    155 games
    27yrs old in feb 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Do you reckon general fan feedback, here and elsewhere plays a part in decisions reached ?

I mean has there ever been a time when we can post our opinions so publicly ?

Someone from the hierarchy must read them and go Shikes , the fans aren’t happy about this (potential) outcome!
    IF the swans were very savvy, and I'm pretty sure they are, they should be using their (and others) social media as a built-in focus group. Ask the right question and you'll get all sorts of great answers.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    IF the swans were very savvy, and I'm pretty sure they are, they should be using their (and others) social media as a built-in focus group. Ask the right question and you'll get all sorts of great answers.
    I sincerely doubt that what fans say on social media has any real impact on drafting/recruiting strategies. We are not party to any of the negotiations so can only go on what we read/See as outsiders looking in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Surely someone at the club saw the crap Barrett, Cornes and Wallace were spouting all day yesterday. It was galling....do the club ever see this crap and think "Eff those effers.....this is bull@@@@....let's call it out and defend our reputation and our honour"?

Ever?
    No.
    We are above all that crap. Barrett, Cornes, et al know this, and it gets on their last nerve. They can't get anything out of anyone at our club, and they hate it.
    The Victorian clubs like to tell you what colour undies they are wearing because it's all about getting your club's name in the media.
    We have always played our cards close to our chest, whether it's Horse doing a presser, whether it's a big announcement, whether it's trading time.
    This is why players want to play in Sydney.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.