Page 89 of 521 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,057 to 1,068 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Kyle Dunkley came up to Sydney and trained with the Swans for a brief period last off-season. That's not consistent with him not wanting to come to the club.

Kyle and Josh were photographed in the Swans' rooms after the 2012 GF victory, as ardent supporters of the team, despite the oft-reported coolness between their father and the club. Who knows if that's even real anymore. Josh's preference not to be drafted to the Swans may simply have been because he really didn't want to leave Victoria.
    Thanks for this info too. I knew that Kyle trained here last year and I didn’t think that Josh had any animosity towards the Swans - just that he preferred to be drafted to a Melbourne-based club. It is certainly rare that a player prefers to be drafted to a different club than that of his father. I can only think of two - Josh and Blakey. There are probably others.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    The Dunkley brothers not wanting to come to Sydney. You can blame Rodney Eade for that one. He caused a lot of damage and had a serious arguments with Andrew Dunkley and Wayne Schwass. Both dislike the Swans because of him and both probably retired earlier that they should have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I thought that Roos was the coach who ended Dunkleys career? Not sure about Schwass.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The journo says "Clubs are aware that Papley, 23, has flagged an interest in returning to Victoria for family reasons after four @seasons with the Swans." If that is the case, then he may leave the Swans.
    If being the key word. Saw the story but took it with a grain of salt. So much rubbish peddled these days, so hard to take it seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I thought that Roos was the coach who ended Dunkleys career? Not sure about Schwass.
    Roos was coach in 2002 when Kelly, Schwass and Dunkley all gave it away, on the same night IIRC.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post

Roos was coach in 2002 when Kelly, Schwass and Dunkley all gave it away, on the same night IIRC.
    Didn't Schwass retire halfway through the season (along with Plugger Mk2), at the same time that Eade was given the heave-ho? (Ok, technically he walked after learning he wouldn't get a contract beyond 2002.)

It's often been said that Dunkley had a beef with Roos for ending his career (prematurely, in his eyes) but Roos was only caretaker coach when Dunkley played his last game. Wallace may, or may not, have been lined up to take over as coach the following season, but Roos certainly didn't have the job at that point. So I think it's highly unlikely that Roos would single-handedly have decided that Dunkley should retire.

Regardless of who made the call, I don't think it was an unreasonable one. He was on his last legs and the club had missed the finals, so it was understandable them wanting to move on some veteran players.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    If being the key word. Saw the story but took it with a grain of salt. So much rubbish peddled these days, so hard to take it seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

The Papley story was trotted out earlier in the season. That time of the year. He has another year on his contract and I doubt we would let him go.

Veterans List
    Something more solid than Papley wants to "go home" is that COR has been extended another two years, great news, quietly goes about his business making critical spoils and tackles and providing dash when needed. Plenty of upside too IMO now he knows he's a regular.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Something more solid than Papley wants to "go home" is that COR has been extended another two years, great news, quietly goes about his business making critical spoils and tackles and providing dash when needed. Plenty of upside too IMO now he knows he's a regular.
    Very pleased with this news. And I do admire his kicking - generally accurate and field gun trajectory rather than howitzer, which (I think) we see too much of.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    That's very good news about COR. He's playing consistently well and is becoming a key part of our rebuild.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    That's very good news about COR. He's playing consistently well and is becoming a key part of our rebuild.
    Happy with the resigning but he needs to improve his decision making by foot at times. Blazes away to no avail under pressure on occasions. Confident he can turn this around given his development thus far.

I think getting another KP defender is the key to unlocking our team's potential. A reliable, solid KP defender will free Rampe to provide much needed line breaking and drive off half back. He is the one guy who can do this reliably either by foot or with his penetrating left boot.
    That would then free Mills to move into the engine room, hopefully providing some much needed grunt. This in turn would allow Parker to play more minutes forward and also reduce the need for Papley to play midfield minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I think getting another KP defender is the key to unlocking our team's potential. A reliable, solid KP defender will free Rampe to provide much needed line breaking and drive off half back. He is the one guy who can do this reliably either by foot or with his penetrating left boot.
    That would then free Mills to move into the engine room, hopefully providing some much needed grunt. This in turn would allow Parker to play more minutes forward and also reduce the need for Papley to play midfield minutes.
    Maibaum probably would have debuted this year if not for injury.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    There might be something in that. Apparently we've been keeping a close eye on Fischer McAsey a KPD. Mind you, the club is probably closely looking at 100 potential draftees at this stage of the season but the fact they have looked at a KPD doesn't rule it out.