Page 196 of 521 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206246296 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,352 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Two first rounders for Daniher could theoretically be 17 and 18 rather than 4 and 8.

Would posters rather give up pick 4 for Daniher or Papley? The alternative would be to try and split pick 4 into two lower picks (8ish and something) and give up something around pick 8 plus a second rounder for Daniher whilst retaining Papley?

The silly season seems to start earlier each season, mainly by the media trying to fan speculation. I read in the HS today that if we get Daniher who has a year remaining on his contract, that we can't keep hold of Papley! Gee I didn't know there was a rule you must trade out a player who is on a 4 year contract if you trade in a player who had 1 year remaining.

Daniher has already said he's committed to Essendon for next year (beyond that who knows). Papley has not asked to be traded & the Swans have also said he's not for sale. I'm ignoring the continual noise surrounding this because that's all it is. Makes sense to try get Daniher next year for nothing when he becomes a RFA, which is most likely behind his chat with Harley imo.

I also think Jones will re-sign after he finishes shopping himself around, because he'll find it's not worth to leave club he's happy at & poised for success again, for club like St Kilda for just a few dollars more. He's better off re-signing for another couple years when he becomes a RFA & then re-assess.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    The silly season seems to start earlier each season, mainly by the media trying to fan speculation. I read in the HS today that if we get Daniher who has a year remaining on his contract, that we can't keep hold of Papley! Gee I didn't know there was a rule you must trade out a player who is on a 4 year contract if you trade in a player who had 1 year remaining.

Daniher has already said he's committed to Essendon for next year (beyond that who knows). Papley has not asked to be traded & the Swans have also said he's not for sale. I'm ignoring the continual noise surrounding this because that's all it is. Makes sense to try get Daniher next year for nothing when he becomes a RFA, which is most likely behind his chat with Harley imo.

I also think Jones will re-sign after he finishes shopping himself around, because he'll find it's not worth to leave club he's happy at & poised for success again, for club like St Kilda for just a few dollars more. He's better off re-signing for another couple years when he becomes a RFA & then re-assess.
    I tend to think that the period before trade week, is a bit like a zombie movie. Virtually nothing is reality based, but no matter how hard you try to kill off the rumours, they always still seem to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    Two first rounders for Daniher could theoretically be 17 and 18 rather than 4 and 8.

Would posters rather give up pick 4 for Daniher or Papley? The alternative would be to try and split pick 4 into two lower picks (8ish and something) and give up something around pick 8 plus a second rounder for Daniher whilst retaining Papley?
    I think we will force paps to stay as he is on a contract that works us very well and we will say we will review year to year

For me a lot depends on jones as well as to whether we need to split pick 4 and or use our future first round pick next year

Not impossible to have jones to the bombers with something like draft pick 23 for JD to come Sydney

Or if we want two picks for pick 4 to trade in 3/4th year talent to even out our squad experience and competitiveness in 2020/2021

Ie the jones to the bombers possibility in comparison:

Chad Wingard two x all australian former pick6
    traded by Port Adelaide for Ryan Burton, No. 18 and No. 40

Jaeger O'Meara former pick1 and only 22yrs of age at the time but serious injuries
    traded by Gold Coast for No. 10 and 2nd round selection

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Listening to KB interview on the Swans' website, I got the feeling that KB didn't value the first round in this year's draft that highly and seemed willing to trade out our pick 4 and look for value in the lower rounds of the draft.

It's hard to imagine our forward line with Buddy and Daniher. I suppose Reid could go back and play as a key defender, which wouldn't be all that bad. I would worry about the menagerie of young key position players that would find it hard to see a pathway to AFL footy.

It seemed that most were in agreement that we needed more midfield depth, but if the rumours are true, then we would be trading out midfielders for KPPs.

At first inspection, it doesn't look right, but teams usually find a way of working through these things and get the balance right in due course.

It's building up to an active and complex off season.
    I also thought KB also sounded very open to our pick 4 being used for other options

KB did sound like he saw value though later in the draft because the talent was “not as obvious” in his words which was interesting

Senior Player
    It’s always an intriguing time of the year for supporters although for us it’s come about a bit earlier than usual. Lots of chatter and conjecture about with the so called footy media pack throwing up their their reports based on conversations with unnamed club insiders.
    I have faith in our recruiting team and after all who from the media and for that matter, the general public foresaw the announcement on October 1st 2013 ?
    Not sure why but I have an inkling that something similar unforeseen by the pundits just might be in play by the Swans this year or possibly next.

It makes zero sense for us to pay in picks for JD this year when we could get him for free next year. It’s almost like Essendon want to move him now and get a good return rather than comp pick next year. Perhaps they are driving the speculation ? Maybe they are asking him to do a Hanners and take one for the team. Who knows , can’t see us bending over to take him this year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    I'm happy for some organic growth for the next 12 months, retain players, take our picks to the draft and reassess needs end of 2020 when it will be clear what picks we have and where Campbell and Gulden are projected in the draft.

Daniher BTW will have either become fit, stayed in the medical room, made up his mind but will also be a RFA so we can get him for free or drive a hard bargain under threat of matching from the Injectors.

I'm getting fearful however that this is going to turn into mush for us :-( One of the most important off seasons for us since 2009, have to hold our nerve and make the right decisions..

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I'm happy for some organic growth for the next 12 months, retain players, take our picks to the draft and reassess needs end of 2020 when it will be clear what picks we have and where Campbell and Gulden are projected in the draft.

Daniher BTW will have either become fit, stayed in the medical room, made up his mind but will also be a RFA so we can get him for free or drive a hard bargain under threat of matching from the Injectors.

I'm getting fearful however that this is going to turn into mush for us :-( One of the most important off seasons for us since 2009, have to hold our nerve and make the right decisions..
    Kinnear is in charge.
    Don't panic.
    He's the best in the business.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Kinnear is in charge.
    Don't panic.
    He's the best in the business.
    ++++1

Id be very pissed off if I was Sinclair.

He came in a 'swap' that let Jetta go back to the west, and has played well above expectations throughout his time with us. His value was dramatically shown on his injury this year.

Most on here seem to think he is really a forward-relief ruck, rather than a #1 ruck.

The addition of Daniher (and the hoped for return of Naismith) would leave Sinclair without a role in our best 22.

I certainly concur with the view that this is the most critical trade period for us in quite a while. Maybe Joe Daniher will make the decision easy for us and decide to stay at the Bombers? If this occurs, then we need to be very careful what we do with Pick 4 and, of course, Papley. Our clear need is a proven ball winner who can win the contested football as we have dropped to the bottom of the ladder on that count. We also need forward help for Buddy and a tall defender. Those areas should be our priority.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk