Page 378 of 521 FirstFirst ... 278328368374375376377378379380381382388428478 ... LastLast
Results 4,525 to 4,536 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

the opinions of the media are merely opinions. We have plenty here who offer learned opinions ! Who cares what they say (which seems to the Swans' view) - let's all move on with life. It is only a game after all

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    This was my main concern when I said yesterday that Gardiner could have done a little better.

He should have been on the front foot more re: Danihers injury history and outlook, not wanting to pay overs for a potential crock and wanting to take decent picks to the draft.

I would also have loved him to tell the journo's to stop turning Victorian rumours into facts and then embellishing them to make our club look bad. I actually thought this was why he looked uncomfortable.....so why didn't he fight back and call them all out as bull@@@@ters and set the record straight?

Surely someone at the club saw the crap Barrett, Cornes and Wallace were spouting all day yesterday. It was galling....do the club ever see this crap and think "Eff those effers.....this is bull@@@@....let's call it out and defend our reputation and our honour"? Ever?
    Disagree. Why stoop to refute guys like Barrett, Cornes etc. Waste of energy. Swans were commended in their dealings by Essendon and Carlton and we reciprocated. Criticisms are water off a duck's(swan's) back outside of Melbourne. The media circus in Melbourne is not going to change- set up for nuffies to argue about.

Veterans List
    I understand that the Swans may realise they are an outsider in a largely rigged league and may think 'why upset them more?', thinking the softly softly approach shall see us through.....don't offend anyone and everyone will love us again one day, like they used to.

If this is the case, it doesn't auger well for the future, when the Vic-centric crap will only get worse. Any chance of making this league TRULY national in every way, including fixture and venue integrity, trading integrity and a fair GF venue year in year out, not locked into Richmond and Collingwoods home ground for the next zillion years, seems light years away if we can't even stand up to some journo's.....let alone the actual powerbrokers.

No wonder the A(V)FL feel and act like they're untouchable.....

Yeah I think it is counterproductive to jump into the media to refute what certain commentators have said. It gives them more ammunition and creates a public spectacle.

They would love us to publicly criticise other players, coaches, clubs or media personalities.

It's clear the Swans weren't 'playing the game' to the same extent as some other clubs during trade week but in saying that there was only one logical source to the earlier revelation that Papley had triggered an extension in his contract.

Meantime Tom's manager had his hand in the story about being desperately unhappy in Sydney and Essendon's people seemed to have a direct line to Matthew Lloyd to set the media agenda each day.

It's all very messy but that's how the sausage is made. You also have to laugh when they all front the media later saying everyone acted respectfully to each other.

One final thing. Journalists rating clubs' trade week performance is probably one of the most useless exercises going around. Here is a helpful hint: the clubs with the highest ratings are probably the clubs who leak the most to the media. It's just journalists looking after their mates. The fact Sydney has been routinely slammed by the so-called experts probably indicates our guys refused to speak to anyone.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    One final thing. Journalists rating clubs' trade week performance is probably one of the most useless exercises going around. Here is a helpful hint: the clubs with the highest ratings are probably the clubs who leak the most to the media. It's just journalists looking after their mates. The fact Sydney has been routinely slammed by the so-called experts probably indicates our guys refused to speak to anyone.
    Exactly! There's no gold cup for winning trade week.

I just heard a snippet of 7 news where Tom Browne ( I think ) was reporting that clubs ( well Vic clubs ) are unhappy with the Gold coast for playing hard ball with Martin, as they don’t need draft picks owing to the draft concessions they have just received.....Wow. Gobsmacking stuff !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding the negative media, in the end we simply can't compete, because the other guys control the airwaves. Harley or whoever could give any number of interviews, then the Vic journos will get together on a program and say he's lying. If Harley goes to the media several times, they'll say that it's proof of a cover-up, and he's feeling guilty, and he's worried that they've exposed him. They will just create a narrative that fits the story they want to promote. You can imagine how they would attack him.

I think the Swans handle it well, laying low, saying little, and not providing any more ammunition than necessary. If you don't want to get bitten, stay out of the shark tank.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Regarding the negative media, in the end we simply can't compete, because the other guys control the airwaves. Harley or whoever could give any number of interviews, then the Vic journos will get together on a program and say he's lying. If Harley goes to the media several times, they'll say that it's proof of a cover-up, and he's feeling guilty, and he's worried that they've exposed him. They will just create a narrative that fits the story they want to promote. You can imagine how they would attack him.

I think the Swans handle it well, laying low, saying little, and not providing any more ammunition than necessary. If you don't want to get bitten, stay out of the shark tank.
    Did they do it to Andrew Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Did they do it to Andrew Ireland?
    Of course not. And they didn't do it to me either.

That's because neither Andrew Ireland nor I met with Joe Daniher in a Sydney coffee shop. So why should they pick on us?

Okay Nico, I know what you mean. Ireland commanded a level of respect that Tom Harley hasn't earned yet, so he's easier to target than a venerable older man. I have to admit that Harley has a mannerism that makes him appear less than candid and a bit insincere.

The only real downside about the media thing is that it makes for hard listening for Swan fans, because it is sickening. The upside is that we can use that time for something more productive.

Sometimes I listen to The Rub podcast. The other guys on the show give Damian Barrett so much flack that it's small wonder why he has such a sorry disposition.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I read a good article on the Daniher situation last night, forget where (could it have been the Hun?!). It said said "Swans simply didn't want Daniher as much as Essendon". Author's argument was that we didn't ask for Daniher to come to us, but we were happy for him to name us as his preferred destination and work to see if we could make a trade. But Essendon really wanted to keep him, and we weren't desperate to get him and so a trade was always going to be pretty likely.

I think that's a good summary, and reflects something that was implied by the AFL's "winners and losers" article last night, which is that the only party that really wanted the Daniher trade to happen, was Daniher himself. (Excluding media bozos of course).

It makes me wonder if we really will go that hard at Joe next year. It might be another situation where we make a pretty reasonable offer, and Essendon match it. I can't see us being desperate for him then, either. Of course, next year is a whole new ball game as we'll all have another year to work out whether Daniher's body can recover, and if enough of our youngsters come good we might be starting to think about saving our pennies to re-sign them to inevitably larger contracts.
    Jake Niall in The Age. Yep, set the record straight.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...16-p531f3.html

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Jake Niall in The Age. Yep, set the record straight.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...16-p531f3.html
    Thanks Matt. I didn't think it could be the HUN!!