Page 435 of 521 FirstFirst ... 335385425431432433434435436437438439445485 ... LastLast
Results 5,209 to 5,220 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    With Longmire stating McCartin has been training as a forward

With reid playing forward majority of his minutes

With buddy up in the forwards / HFF all game

With Dawson looking likely a seriously important transition player off the HBF with his laser like kicking

That’s our leading talls upfront taken care of.......

So does that mean we will genuinely see Blakey start emulating a Bontempelli pathway in the midfield ie inside / outside role in 2020 ?

Bont is 193cm and 93kg and 23yrs of age and went straight into the midfield for the dogs at 18yrs old playing inside / outside as a skinny tall kid

Blakey 195cm, long trunk short legged lizard seems much more durable then I first expected and quicker .......Nick will be 85kg plus in 2020, he will also be 20yrs old in feb and wanting the midfield HFF rotation we keep hearing

Could nick creep up on us and start to be a force in the midfield as well as HFF ?
    I posted some time ago how Blakey was similar to Bomtempelli and how Longmire had referred to him as a midfielder. He will be used the same way as the Bont- very exciting to look forward to.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Depends what you mean by "tear it up". Off the top of my head, Sam Menegola, James Podsiadly, Sam Rowe, and Andrew Krakouer are a handful of examples of players who have carved out respectable AFL careers after an initial AFL listing, followed by a period in one of the state leagues. In Krakouer's case, he also spent some time in jail between AFL stints. I daresay there are other examples out there.
    Our co-captain.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Our co-captain.
    He was never on an AFL list before being drafted by the Swans. He got close at least once, spending a pre-season training with the Dogs with the carrot of a possible rookie list spot, but wasn't actually selected.

Kirk, mentioned a few posts above, maybe got closer. He wasn't technically listed before winning his spot on the list, but did spend at least one season (and maybe two) as a supplementary listed player with the club. That wasn't quite equivalent to being rookie listed, but was before the concept of the rookie list was introduced. He wasn't eligible to play for the senior team but could (and did, I think) play with the reserves team.

Veterans List
    Far less of a priority, IMO, than some contested ball winning midfielders. This draft seems quite strong for solid midfielders touted to go in the second and third rounds. Most of them may turn out to be "meat and potato" type inside mids but there's nothing wrong with having a couple of those in the team so long as they can win the ball and feed it out to the more skilled players on the outside. I think we've built a decent outside brigade over the last few drafts but their development will be stifled if we don't have some up and comers who can actually win more of the hard ball.
    +1. Another Luke Parker please Mr Beatson!

Veterans List
    He was never on an AFL list before being drafted by the Swans. He got close at least once, spending a pre-season training with the Dogs with the carrot of a possible rookie list spot, but wasn't actually selected.

Kirk, mentioned a few posts above, maybe got closer. He wasn't technically listed before winning his spot on the list, but did spend at least one season (and maybe two) as a supplementary listed player with the club. That wasn't quite equivalent to being rookie listed, but was before the concept of the rookie list was introduced. He wasn't eligible to play for the senior team but could (and did, I think) play with the reserves team.
    That's true (re Rampe) though my recollection was it was a bit more formal than "pre-season training" (part of a NSW recruitment initiative I believe). I've spoke to someone who was in the same cohort who says one of his mates did in fact get picked up by the Dogs, never played a game of AFL but did have lifetime bragging rights that once he got chosen over an All Australian! Brett Ogle's lad was also (an unsuccessful) part of this cohort IIRC.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Goddard ranks our ruck division last. Our mids and defence 16th and our Fwds about 12th.

Category: | Herald Sun
    I don't understand the point of quoting that dude. I doubt there's a pundit whose opinion I'd respect less.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    We had a few issues with personnel down back last year, including AA playing in the ruck, and Melican not quite being up to scratch, that forced Mills to play as a tall defender. You'd hope that either Melican, Brand or even Maibaum would take Reg's role, but that still leaves Rampe playing second tall defender and AA third / interceptor, unless they play both Melican, Brand and AA plus Rampe in a less accountable role.

Maibaum was originally recruited as a potential Reg replacement, so you never know.

Hopefully there are enough talls that Mills could go to the midfield in 2020, but I am not quite convinced he is the Messiah. I like the idea of Ollie, Nephew Of BT and even Blakey getting a lot more midfield time next year. Plus rotating Paps, Gray and Taylor through there too.
    There's an interview with Taylor on the club website - he's a lot more solid than I thought and I may be being too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    There's an interview with Taylor on the club website - he's a lot more solid than I thought and I may be being too kind.
    Probably whys he is doing laps in all the footage.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I don't understand the point of quoting that dude. I doubt there's a pundit whose opinion I'd respect less.
    Agree. However he is correct with the rucks.

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=Captain;789378]Agree. However he is correct with the rucks.

He is entitled to his opinion but he shows his ignorance when he reckons Sinclair would stay the main ruckman even if Naismith was fully fit. Another Melbourne press person with NFI about the Swans.

[QUOTE=Blood Fever;789379]
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Agree. However he is correct with the rucks.

He is entitled to his opinion but he shows his ignorance when he reckons Sinclair would stay the main ruckman even if Naismith was fully fit. Another Melbourne press person with NFI about the Swans.
    He rates our list overall as number 17, with only Gold Coast worse!

I’m quietly confident we’ll finish higher than 17th next year. Maybe he does bear a grudge?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you calling LT fat?

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=Markwebbos;789380]

He rates our list overall as number 17, with only Gold Coast worse!

I’m quietly confident we’ll finish higher than 17th next year. Maybe he does bear a grudge?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you calling LT fat?
    Not fat but he looks a little portly on the video-.maybe looks different in the flesh.