Page 438 of 521 FirstFirst ... 338388428434435436437438439440441442448488 ... LastLast
Results 5,245 to 5,256 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The Roar's latest phantom draft: 2019 AFL Phantom Draft. Has us taking Flanders, Rantall, Pickett and Byrnes. Could be worse.
    I wouldn't be disappointed if it turned out this way for us. It feels like a fairly deep draft talent wise so I'm hopefull we do well and get 4 really talented kids in this year!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    • I'm a Flanders-Skeptic. I think the name might be part of it, makes me think of Ned. His highlights reel isn't that highlighty, but he allegedly has the ability to win games off his own boot.
    • I really like the idea of Jay Rantall as he's very athletic and has a lot of upside.
    • I'm also encouraged that Will Gould might still be available (but too fat) for our pick 25. Roar does have this to say about him: "Despite elite performances in the field, concerns over Gould’s athleticism seem set to see him slide into the 20s or even later at the draft. Will be a hit if he can make it at AFL level, though."
    • If Pickett gets to us at pick 32 that would be a huge result. I doubt it. He sounds like one out of the box who could be anything.
    • Byrnes too, has already been linked to us, and is another ball winning mid.

On paper, those four would be a pretty decent hand. I don't know who I'd rather have than Flanders at pick 5 - Ash, Serong, Young (if available), Kemp (?!?).

This draft feels way more important to the Swans than any I can remember. Not sure why?
    Yes, I would be very happy if we got Rantall with our second pick. He has obvious athleticism, the ability to win contested possessions and he also lays plenty of tackles. Apparently the knock on him, is that he can spray kicks. But since he's a fairly recent basketball convert, I doubt if his inaccuracy is set in stone. More something that will continue to improve.

Also, I'm not sure why a few phantom drafts have Serong as a slider? When he was playing, all the phantom drafts had him 3, 4 or 5. Now that the season is over, some are saying that he's around 9 or 10. Don't know what new information they're going on? Or have they now decided that his 178cm is a problem? I'd certainly be pleased if we took him with our first pick. To me, he's exactly the sort of player we need: a highly skilled contested ball winner, with the speed to escape congestion.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I would be very happy if we got Rantall with our second pick. He has obvious athleticism, the ability to win contested possessions and he also lays plenty of tackles. Apparently the knock on him, is that he can spray kicks. But since he's a fairly recent basketball convert, I doubt if his inaccuracy is set in stone. More something that will continue to improve.

Also, I'm not sure why a few phantom drafts have Serong as a slider? When he was playing, all the phantom drafts had him 3, 4 or 5. Now that the season is over, some are saying that he's around 9 or 10. Don't know what new information they're going on? Or have they now decided that his 178cm is a problem? I'd certainly be pleased if we took him with our first pick. To me, he's exactly the sort of player we need: a highly skilled contested ball winner, with the speed to escape congestion.
    Plus Rantall is obviously a relative, however distant. Comes from the same area.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Plus Rantall is obviously a relative, however distant. Comes from the same area.
    If he is as good as John Rantall, he would be a top 5 pick!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    I hope so; although when I looked, I couldn't find any statement saying that he was. Which doesn't mean that he isn't, just that I couldn't find the evidence. And Rantall is an uncommon surname.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    If he is as good as John Rantall, he would be a top 5 pick!
    A bit before my time, but obviously, you don't get to be the longtime Swans games record holder, if you're not a quality player.

I hope so; although when I looked, I couldn't find any statement saying that he was. Which doesn't mean that he isn't, just that I couldn't find the evidence. And Rantall is an uncommon surname.

- - - Updated - - -

A bit before my time, but obviously, you don't get to be the longtime Swans games record holder, if you're not a quality player.
    Rantall is indeed an uncommon surname, but a lot of them live in the Warrnambool/Cobden/Camperdown area, which is where Jay is from.

Veterans List
    He was a champion defender and one of my childhood heroes, up there with Skilts. I was devastated when he went to North.....and helped them win a premiership, which I witnessed.

I was happy for him.....he was never going to win one with the Swans back then.

For those who love watching draft prospect footage leading up to and even after the draft (like me!), the draft prospect video's are now up on the AFL website!

Enjoy playing recruitment manager and dreaming of which next champion we should be selecting on draft night! Lol. Looking forward to hearing people's opinions after getting a look at some of these highlights!

AFL Draft Prospects - AFL.com.au

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

I'm warming to the idea of taking Luke Jackson if he's available at pick 5.

Another idea worth considering is trading down, sending picks 5 and 44 for either:
    • Picks 14 and 17 - Geelong
    • Picks 12 and 18 -Port Adelaide

I'm thinking that 2 players in the teens is worth more than who might be available at pick 5, Jackson being the exception as he brings something different and hard to find.

It will be interesting if Jackson is still available at pick 5, because I think both GWS and Geelong would be very interested in securing that pick. So If we're not interested in Jackson, trading down could be beneficial.

I don't think there will be a pure inside midfielder around pick 5 unless we get Green or reach for Robertson. So we may end up targeting best available even if they are an outside player, hydrid midfielder or ruck. And then target an inside midfielder with our second and third picks.

I would not want to trade down too much. Fremantle's pick 10 might not be too bad. Because there is likely to be at least two of Serong, Ash, Kemp, Robertson, McAsey or Stephens still available to choose from.

I would not mind Jackson if we think we will play two rucks. It would give him opportunity to get game time as a Forward/Ruck. Otherwise we would have a young WA player sitting in the reserves for two years like Darcy Cameron. I also like the idea of Young if Melbourne don't select him. A good attacking kicker like Dawson off wing or half back makes a difference.

Veterans List
    When thinking about pick swaps it's important to remember that our pick 5 will almost certainly be pick 6 and teens picks will have drifted at least two and possibly three with matched bids by GWS, Freo and Hawthorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'm warming to the idea of taking Luke Jackson if he's available at pick 5.

Another idea worth considering is trading down, sending picks 5 and 44 for either:
    • Picks 14 and 17 - Geelong
    • Picks 12 and 18 -Port Adelaide

I'm thinking that 2 players in the teens is worth more than who might be available at pick 5, Jackson being the exception as he brings something different and hard to find.

It will be interesting if Jackson is still available at pick 5, because I think both GWS and Geelong would be very interested in securing that pick. So If we're not interested in Jackson, trading down could be beneficial.
    Can’t see us giving away our first top 5 pick in over ten years. We are obviously keen to use it considering it was off the table in the JD negotiations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk