Page 446 of 521 FirstFirst ... 346396436442443444445446447448449450456496 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,352 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Serong

On the Rookie List
    I posted earlier in the thread about whether we should try to get pick 3 off Melbourne. If the club thinks Green is that good then we should give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    I posted earlier in the thread about whether we should try to get pick 3 off Melbourne. If the club thinks Green is that good then we should give it a go.
    As it currently stands the swans have to get , not lose , future draft picks with Campbell and Gulden so highly rated at this stage for next year and the liklihood that at least one of them will be considered a first rounder if not both.

No way swans will trade out for the future on that basis.

GWS on the other hand dont have anyone that is highly rated in next years crop so are not strategising around that . In addition I wouldnt be suprised at all if GWS are already planning for whatever current player is likely to take a go back home offer next year and looking accordingly to re-enter the first round via that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    As it currently stands the swans have to get , not lose , future draft picks with Campbell and Gulden so highly rated at this stage for next year and the liklihood that at least one of them will be considered a first rounder if not both.

GWS on the other hand dont have anyone that is highly rated in next years crop so are not strategising around that . In addition I wouldnt be suprised at all if GWS are already planning for whatever current player is likely to take a go back home offer next year and looking accordingly to re-enter the first round via that trade.
    I think the Swans have already acquired some future picks for next year.

And our only live pick next year might be our first, before we are forced to match a bid on the two academy players... So it wouldn't be crazy to use something from next year to try to get up to pick 3 (or higher - GCS say they are open to trading their picks 1 and 2). If we offered Melbourne our future second (plus even a pick swap this year to sweeten the deal) that would be way more than the 356 points difference between pick 5 and pick 3.

But I understand many clubs don't think that much of the 2020 draft crop.

GWS will be matching any bid. No point in throwing away draft picks only for GWS to match the bid anyway.

The GWS strategy to get another early 1st round pick in addition to Green makes sense, in principle, but at what price? I don't have to add up the points to see that they probably gave away more than they will gain by obtaining that additional player this year. The Giants always seem to get ripped off in their trades. It's quite an indictment to their management.

We can't say with any certainty who will be taken at picks 3 and 4, but it seems fair that the consensus is that it will be Jackson and Young. That would be the least surprising outcome for me as well. So that leaves us with a probable bid on Green, which the Giants will match, and then a selection from Serong, Flanders and Ash.

Although these 3 all look solid players who will find regular spots in the seniors fairly early on, I feel if we have the opportunity to trade down for 2 picks in the teens, that we should do it. I don't think the quality drops off that much where it doesn't pay to get 2 good players for the price of one.

The draft is a lot more exciting this year than last, when we knew we were getting Blakey and only the cost was in question. However it works outs, it seems we will have a good shot at getting 4 solid players this draft which will keep us building an exciting future for the Swans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    That's a very good point Mr Magoo.
    GWS's strategy is they are ok to let go of a gun player for good draft picks most years as a way of managing their salary cap, and keeping a steady stream of talent coming in the door.

It won't last forever, as they are bound to get a few duds from the draft that don't equal what they let go.
    ...unless Carlton keep taking those duds.

They would be crazy to for 2 reasons:
    1) green is not the sort of player they are after
    2) green is not a pick 3 talent.
    3) not a good idea to piss GWS off, as they will have a lot of guns that are poachable over the next 5 years, and you don't want to end up on their no-trade blacklist. (Eg. Hawthorn are NOT on this blacklist).

Ok, that's 3.

Green moved up to phantom draft pick no3 as at today

Afl.com

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    They would be crazy to for 2 reasons:
    1) green is not the sort of player they are after
    2) green is not a pick 3 talent.
    3) not a good idea to piss GWS off, as they will have a lot of guns that are poachable over the next 5 years, and you don't want to end up on their no-trade blacklist. (Eg. Hawthorn are NOT on this blacklist).

Ok, that's 3.
    Barry could you pls explain your thinking behind point 2?

Buckenara’s view of our drafting needs:

Category: | Herald Sun

Sydney lost speed through the departure of Zak Jones, which is a blow given they already lack pace and creativity through the midfield and halfback. Must target pace and players who take the game on.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Green moved up to phantom draft pick no3 as at today

Afl.com
    From those that have watched him - is he really that good - like best three players in the country good.