Page 393 of 521 FirstFirst ... 293343383389390391392393394395396397403443493 ... LastLast
Results 4,705 to 4,716 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Re Flanders

I have already posted, as have others, that I'm not too taken with him. However, I acknowledge that my opinion is based solely on those few highlights on Youtube. I'm sure the people that have rated him so highly have seen much, much more and so probably he deserves the high esteem he has won. If the Swans pick him, I'll back them in.

I'll be slightly surprised if we pick Kemp. I think after our experiences with Ling, Tucker, and even AJ and Tippo (wildly disparate cases, I know), we might be a little bit ginger to pick an injured player.

Flanders .... ho-diddly-dum
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Just a couple of musings re Brisbane's trade period. They traded in Cam Ellis-Yolmen and traded out or delisted Cutler, Robertson and Keay who play similar roles. Does that mean they rate CEY as better? Likewise they traded out Taylor but traded in Callum Ah Chee. In this case the roles aren't necessarily the same but suggests they think CAC has more to offer them than Squizzy. Cause for concern? Or not really applicable to us?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Re Flanders

I have already posted, as have others, that I'm not too taken with him. However, I acknowledge that my opinion is based solely on those few highlights on Youtube. I'm sure the people that have rated him so highly have seen much, much more and so probably he deserves the high esteem he has won. If the Swans pick him, I'll back them in.

I'll be slightly surprised if we pick Kemp. I think after our experiences with Ling, Tucker, and even AJ and Tippo (wildly disparate cases, I know), we might be a little bit ginger to pick an injured player.
    I agree that Flanders' highlight reel is not that impressive. I watched the full game in the Vic U18 semi final and he racked up plenty of possessions, sort of quietly, like Tom Mitchell does. His hands are quick. He looks a very solid player. He also tested surprisingly well in both agility and vertical leap. And the stats say he's been a consistent high performer toward the end of the season. All together, it's raised my opinion of him, but not necessarily above some others.

I know we've experienced drafting players with injuries and acquiring injuries in their 1at pre-season, but without checking, I suspect this is true of every club. It's just a lottery with these things. But agree that Kemp has to be discounted to some extent due to the ACL injury, although he looks the perfect player for us.

Yes. Trading future draft picks is permitted all the way through the end of the draft, including during the draft.

Senior Player
    Just a couple of musings re Brisbane's trade period. They traded in Cam Ellis-Yolmen and traded out or delisted Cutler, Robertson and Keay who play similar roles. Does that mean they rate CEY as better? Likewise they traded out Taylor but traded in Callum Ah Chee. In this case the roles aren't necessarily the same but suggests they think CAC has more to offer them than Squizzy. Cause for concern? Or not really applicable to us?
    Time will tell

I think Cutler and Taylor just wanted to move clubs in order to get more opportunity to play. Both had been regulars in the side, especially Taylor, until this season. Cutler also had some 'go home' issues, as they do. Keays hasn't performed all that well. The surprise for me was delisting Robertson, who I would rate higher than CEY. bu CEY is more an inside midfielder and Robertson a tagger or outside players, or has played that role for the most part, so seems more positional swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree that Flanders' highlight reel is not that impressive. I watched the full game in the Vic U18 semi final and he racked up plenty of possessions, sort of quietly, like Tom Mitchell does. His hands are quick. He looks a very solid player. He also tested surprisingly well in both agility and vertical leap. And the stats say he's been a consistent high performer toward the end of the season. All together, it's raised my opinion of him, but not necessarily above some others.

I know we've experienced drafting players with injuries and acquiring injuries in their 1at pre-season, but without checking, I suspect this is true of every club. It's just a lottery with these things. But agree that Kemp has to be discounted to some extent due to the ACL injury, although he looks the perfect player for us.

Yes. Trading future draft picks is permitted all the way through the end of the draft, including during the draft.
    Ludders, I admire your ability to see things long-term. And I have a question for you. If you would be prepared to draft a player, i.e. Kemp, who has the right attributes, but who won't really be playing until 2021, are you prepared to also think about our needs in this draft in light of the highly probably acquisition of two "midfielders" in Campbell and Gulden next year?

How patient are people prepared to be with our #Rebuild?

CEY was specifically bought in to add depth to their inside mids. The observation that was made was that they got a little worn down during the finals, especially Neale and having an extra option inside would've benefitted the side. Whether he plays every week is debatable but he adds depth to the squad. Cutler, Robertson and Keay are all slightly different and none are out and out inside players.

Ah Chee is being viewed as providing run off half back. Squizzy was tried there but wasn't really successful. Playing as a small forward, rotating into the midfield is clearly Sqizzy's best position and the Lions are pretty flushed for small options in their forward line. I'm not concerned about his recruitment - it's certainly pretty sound on paper. Squizzy just has to produce the goods to back me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    CEY was specifically bought in to add depth to their inside mids. The observation that was made was that they got a little worn down during the finals, especially Neale and having an extra option inside would've benefitted the side. Whether he plays every week is debatable but he adds depth to the squad. Cutler, Robertson and Keay are all slightly different and none are out and out inside players.

Ah Chee is being viewed as providing run off half back. Squizzy was tried there but wasn't really successful. Playing as a small forward, rotating into the midfield is clearly Sqizzy's best position and the Lions are pretty flushed for small options in their forward line. I'm not concerned about his recruitment - it's certainly pretty sound on paper. Squizzy just has to produce the goods to back me up!
    Hmm I dont think the Lions would’ve brought CEY in on a 3 year deal ( as a 26 yr old ) if they didn’t think he would play every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Hmm I dont think the Lions would’ve brought CEY in on a 3 year deal ( as a 26 yr old ) if they didn’t think he would play every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You make a good point. However, if their first choice midfield stays fit and Raynor plays more midfield, I think he might struggle. Personally I don't rate CEY.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Ludders, I admire your ability to see things long-term. And I have a question for you. If you would be prepared to draft a player, i.e. Kemp, who has the right attributes, but who won't really be playing until 2021, are you prepared to also think about our needs in this draft in light of the highly probably acquisition of two "midfielders" in Campbell and Gulden next year?

How patient are people prepared to be with our #Rebuild?
    I'm perfectly fine to wait for Kemp to play in 2021. The reason I think he's worth considering is that he's 192-193 cm, fits the bull, pace and scoring criteria that everyone would like in a midfielder. I have taken into account the fact that Campbell and Gulden are smallish players, so would prefer to draft a bigger midfielder in this year. The one thing that's difficult to assess is the risk of taking a player who has had an ACL injury, because that involves a medical evaluation and is therefore something I'm not qualified to make a judgment on. But surely he is being considered by the club and a medical assessment will be made, and the club with take that into account on how they rank the players in this draft.

An interesting article on the Swans website about all of our previous Top 10 draft picks. Not a lot of success with our picks in the 1980s or early to mid-1990s. Some duds and good players we could not retain in the dark days like Rocca, Gasper and Shannon Grant. The 2000s though yielded some beauties like Crouch, McVeigh, Bolton and Fosdike. Lets hope our Number 5 this time will yield someone special for us.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk