Page 388 of 521 FirstFirst ... 288338378384385386387388389390391392398438488 ... LastLast
Results 4,645 to 4,656 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeynez View Post
    I would be shocked if Young falls to our pick. The general consensus is that he will be taken by the Dees at 3.

I imagine we will pick Serong, but wouldn't be surprised if we drafted Kemp or Robertson with our first pick.
    From what I have seen Ash is every bit as good as Young or Serong. Extremeley quick and has an enormous boot and footy smarts. I am pretty comfortable though that we can get a very good player no matter what order the top 5 or 6 go in.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The key to a good midfielder is to be a great "ground level" player who wins plenty of contested ball in a scrap.

Mills is a great mark, and link player, but is he a great ground level player ?
    I'm not sure.
    One day we will find out I guess but as I understand it, he was a dominant midfielder as a junior.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Some of the delisted players filtering through via announcements last few days
    Ben Keays - Wikipedia
    Has anyone seen young Ben Keays play much in the NEAFL or for Snrs at brisbane ?
    During the last NEAFL game that was played outside the SCG, I thought I saw some Swans staff paying considerable attention to the Lions forward line, I sort of assumed they were watching Ben, but with the benefit of hindsight it looks like it was Lewis Taylor that was the subject of the scrutiny.

2 observations:
    I've nothing against giving Mills a run in the middle, but I also think some may be underestimating his value to the backline. I wonder whether he could well become the equivelant of Hodge in the Hawks teams, quarterbacking from the back half. My first choice to give someone extended midfield time would be young Isaac.
    I'm also far from convinced that JPK is finished, he's most effective at first receiver, which he should be able to do if we actually play SamN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I've nothing against giving Mills a run in the middle, but I also think some may be underestimating his value to the backline. I wonder whether he could well become the equivelant of Hodge in the Hawks teams, quarterbacking from the back half. My first choice to give someone extended midfield time would be young Isaac.
    I've never argued that Mills is not a good defender and very useful in the backline. I see the issue being what to do with those quick outside players we recently drafted, especially Stoddart and Ling, both of whom have been played primarily in the backline in the NEAFL. So it's more a matter of who best fits in the midfield, Mills or the likes of Stoddart, Ling, McInerney, etc. My vote goes to Mills, who I've compared to Pendlebery in his style of play.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The key to a good midfielder is to be a great "ground level" player who wins plenty of contested ball in a scrap.

Mills is a great mark, and link player, but is he a great ground level player ?
    I'm not sure.
    And someone who can win centre clearances with some regularity.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    2 observations:
    I've nothing against giving Mills a run in the middle, but I also think some may be underestimating his value to the backline. I wonder whether he could well become the equivelant of Hodge in the Hawks teams, quarterbacking from the back half.
    Mills doesn’t have the foot skills or attacking mindset to do the Hodge role. He plays predominantly in a stopping role and is ok at it but i don’t think it’s the best use of his skill set

Opti-pessi-misti
    Watching the highlight tape of Will Gould I can't believe he is only listed at spot 12. I would love to have him on our team!

I still think mills hasn’t spent much time in the midfield for two reasons:

1. We have a fairly slow inside midfield in Parker, JpK and hewett and we have heard several times this season how the coaching dept wants to speed it up not slow it down hence Mills not his time as yet hence Ollie and JB (james bell) being touted as faster inside mid rotation players

2. Some continuity in the backline has been key with Grundy, macca, Smith etc less games last two seasons and blooding new backline players. We are seeing a change of the guard in the backline and we will see a change in the mids next season or two. Depending on a few backs developing we may see Mills get more midfield time

We can’t forget Mills was first picked by melb as a serious young midfielder and his games pre draft were pretty awesome when I watched him play inside mid.......he was relentless and outplayed Heeney in two games I watched when he was a year younger

Veterans List

1. We have a fairly slow inside midfield in Parker, JpK and hewett and we have heard several times this season how the coaching dept wants to speed it up not slow it down hence Mills not his time as yet hence Ollie and JB (james bell) being touted as faster inside mid rotation players

2. Some continuity in the backline has been key with Grundy, macca, Smith etc less games last two seasons and blooding new backline players. We are seeing a change of the guard in the backline and we will see a change in the mids next season or two. Depending on a few backs developing we may see Mills get more midfield time

We can’t forget Mills was first picked by melb as a serious young midfielder and his games pre draft were pretty awesome when I watched him play inside mid.......he was relentless and outplayed Heeney in two games I watched when he was a year younger
    I don't see that we need to change the back line. Our % was 97%. The back line did a great job, we need to kick more goals.

Just wondering if we bid on Green, can he choose us rather than go to GWS like the father/son?

That's what frustrates me the most about all this! Mills was probably the most highly rated midfielder in his draft year. I understand that we like to develop kids slowly by playing them either at half forward or half back but for him not to have had a real opportunity in the midfield coming into his 5th season is an indictment on Longmire as a coach!

And I don't care how "important" they think he's been as a half back! You don't win games by having a good small defender, you win them by winning the contest in the middle!

If he doesn't start there next season, serious questions need to be asked of the coaching panel.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

I think point 1 is spot on. I think it would need JPK to play a different role to allow Mills to move into the midfield. I can definitely see Ollie, Lizard and JR (NOBT) getting midfield time ahead of Mills on that basis.