Page 440 of 521 FirstFirst ... 340390430436437438439440441442443444450490 ... LastLast
Results 5,269 to 5,280 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Fair enough not being convinced with these guys, as none of them has done anything to to be convincing. As for Ling, his 2 injuries were unrelated, but he definitely needs to get on track at some point, even if it's just a matter of bad luck up till now.

I feel that if Stoddart and Ling don't make a serious impact at AFL level, the Swans could be in the doldrums for quite some time. We aren't deep enough a squad where we can afford too many gaps in successful draft years. We did get Heeney and Melican in 2014, but overall it was a draft where we didn't add enough players to take the place of exiting players. We need to get more than just McCartin from our 2017 draft or the young talent we hope to lead the next assault on the flag will run too thin.
    Yes Ling and/or Stoddart need to step up in 2020. We passed up a lot of players for Ling.

Veterans List
    Pick swap Port and Brisbane on the AFL website. Port now have picks 12, 16, 18 and six more picks between 52 & 72.

There is likely to be 22 picks on the first night of the draft, 18 first rounders, Gold Coast PP, matching of players with later picks, Green GWS, Henry Freo, Maginess Hawthorn. Our pick 25 could end up pick 28.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I was impressed by McInernery in the NEAFL. He was prepared to try to break the lines. I think he has quite a bit of improvement. I know Ludwig is bullish on Ling and Stoddart but I am not so. In Ling's defence we haven't seen a whole of him. But a good pre-season can see dramatic improvement in young players.
    Too early to write off McInerney. May turn out best of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Pick swap Port and Brisbane on the AFL website. Port now have picks 12, 16, 18 and six more picks between 52 & 72.

There is likely to be 22 picks on the first night of the draft, 18 first rounders, Gold Coast PP, matching of players with later picks, Green GWS, Henry Freo, Maginess Hawthorn. Our pick 25 could end up pick 28.
    Looks like a bit of a win-win. Power will do well this year, especially if they nail their selections like they did last year. Brisbane will profit from having an extra first rounder next year.

I agree we have nothing but hopes for Ling, Stoddart and McInerney at this stage - but they've all shown great glimpses of potential, so surely one of them turns up trumps? I bloody hope so!

In years gone past the swans were famous for picking a players that could play the hard contested footy ie the style of footy we played required a certain number of players that could fit this style

This has certainly changed somewhat

For me the bulldogs style of footy pushing ahead of the contest with quick short handballs breaking hard instead of sending the ball long for a contest changed the last few years of footy a lot

The afl kept rule changes in alignment with fast break footy and more reward for moving the ball by hand

Richmond capitalised in this also

So where does that leave our recruitment?

What players do we really need to be able to play that style of footy?

Small forwards tick
    Tall forwards tick
    Midfielders tick and progressing
    Tall backs with dawson going back helped tremendously

Ruckman dominant massively missing

Also another fast direct HBF is still missing

Senior Player
    Intercept defenders and low risk rebound by run and by kick are also absolutely critical in the current tactical meta.

And yep, you're right that contested ball winning and clearances probably haven't been so unimportant in a long time. Clubs probably don't need to load up on those big contested bulls any more, just put up an acceptable presence in those contests while competing for intercepts and space to run into, further from the ball.

I was impressed by McInernery in the NEAFL. He was prepared to try to break the lines. I think he has quite a bit of improvement. I know Ludwig is bullish on Ling and Stoddart but I am not so. In Ling's defence we haven't seen a whole of him. But a good pre-season can see dramatic improvement in young players.
    I agree Re: McInerney, I think he looks extremely promising. He's an instinctive player who, from the little bit I've seen of him, plays with great intent.

If he gets a good, injury free, run at it, I reckon he's going to be a fabulous player.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I think there's still a place for contested bulls, but you definitely don't need as many as you did in the past. 2 or 3 guys who can run all day then get a ball out to somebody who get clear of the pack is all you need.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Too early to write off McInerney. May turn out best of the lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I agree Re: McInerney, I think he looks extremely promising. He's an instinctive player who, from the little bit I've seen of him, plays with great intent.

If he gets a good, injury free, run at it, I reckon he's going to be a fabulous player.
    I'd like to reserve a spot on the McInernery Bandwagon, I was surprised when he was given a senior debut (and he looked all-at-sea and out of his depth) so very early in the season (his first season). Seeing him develop in the NEAFL was very encouraging. By seasons end he was making appearances in the midfield and really looked like he was worth a game in the firsts.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    If he is as good as John Rantall, he would be a top 5 pick!
    If he was John Rantall reincarnated some on here would be complaining that he wasn't the midfielder they thought he'd be.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    This is who I want at pick 5 and have wanted ever since I saw "that kick".....

Class of 2019: The kick that made every draft observer take notice - AFL.com.au

Could "that kick" be better than Dawson......certainly as sublime as I've seen in a long time.

Having Dawson and Young pinging the footy around from half back and the wing would be a dream.
    Drafting Young would also free up Dawson and Mills to rotate through the middle a bit more.

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him that's for sure. We seem to have a few options at 5.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    This is who I want at pick 5 and have wanted ever since I saw "that kick".....

Class of 2019: The kick that made every draft observer take notice - AFL.com.au

Could "that kick" be better than Dawson......certainly as sublime as I've seen in a long time.
    Could definitely live with us getting Young at pick 5. I think a ball winner is the priority but if he slips to us at 5 then to good to knock back. To add another elite ball user to go with Blakey and Dawson could really set us up for the future as a slick ball moving team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk