Page 46 of 521 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Rowbottom will probably get another crack but Hewitt may be out as well. Mills an option but if Longmire is reluctant, why not give O'Riordan a crack in midfield? Has played there in NEAFL IIRC. Hard at it with a bust of speed, Jones style. Worth a thought.
    I like that idea - I admire O'Riordan and would add that he strikes me as a good kick.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Drafting thread guys, player selection stuff needs to go into the Changes for Geelong thread.

I may have been the one who derailed this a few posts back!

Mid Season Rookie Draft tomorrow at 6pm, will be live on Fox. Currently we have available to use pick 4 & 15. Don't think the timing or Reg's retirement was coincidental so maybe we will have two picks?
    Last edited by 707; 26th May 2019 at 11:58 AM.

HS Mid Season draft article on VFL players who shined recently & may get picked up. No mention of Kyle Dunkley. Warning: it is very Melb centric!

Category: | Herald Sun

"24-year-old inside midfielder Lochie Dickson who also finished with 24 touches for the Lions.

Dickson’s sheer size, standing at 190cm and weighing 94kg, should have clubs sniffing around the former Norwood player."

JPK replacement?

Depending on which journo you read, you get a very different picture as to who’s going to go where. But I guess I should be barracking for Melbourne today.

I didn’t realise that Cresswell was a mid season acquisition

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Latest rumour on twitter by footy journos is that Carlton are going to pick Deluca

Yes sounds like they are looking for a player who'll have an immediate impact. We could really do with a decent ruckman

Blues set to take former Dockers midfielder with No.1 pick - AFL.com.au

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Latest rumour on twitter by footy journos is that Carlton are going to pick Deluca
    A week or so ago, Dunkley was apparently going to be the first picked, maybe on the basis of Sydney showing some interest. Then it was rumoured we had our eye on Deluca.

The club has just about 24 hours to make sure it's linked to some utter dud, just to persuade Carlton to jump in and take him first. Would be good for the laughs.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Yes sounds like they are looking for a player who'll have an immediate impact. We could really do with a decent ruckman

Blues set to take former Dockers midfielder with No.1 pick - AFL.com.au
    We have a decent ruckman, and another dominating at NEAFL level in waiting. Sure, we don't have a great ruckman and ours tends to struggle against the very best. But do you reckon there's a state league ruckman running around who can come in an do better against Grundy or Gawn?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We have a decent ruckman, and another dominating at NEAFL level in waiting. Sure, we don't have a great ruckman and ours tends to struggle against the very best. But do you reckon there's a state league ruckman running around who can come in an do better against Grundy or Gawn?
    Sinkers for all his enormous efforts is never going to be a top-line ruckman. And he got destroyed on Friday night. Given how well Sam Reid went (admittedly pinch hitting), I think it wouldn't be mad to give him more rucking and Sinkers less, or even give him a spell and bring in Cameron.

In answer to your question, I don't know. I don't think anyone would have predicted a player of the calibre of Tim Kelly would be running around playing WAFL and have the impact he's had.

There may be players with the physical attributes to be better ruckmen than Sinclair out there if they got the opportunity. He wasn't much of a ruckman when he joined the Swans and has played out of his skin due to the injury to Naismith. But I'm not sure he's going to get any better. I wonder how far away Sam Naismith is now?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Sinkers for all his enormous efforts is never going to be a top-line ruckman. And he got destroyed on Friday night. Given how well Sam Reid went (admittedly pinch hitting), I think it wouldn't be mad to give him more rucking and Sinkers less, or even give him a spell and bring in Cameron.

In answer to your question, I don't know. I don't think anyone would have predicted a player of the calibre of Tim Kelly would be running around playing WAFL and have the impact he's had.

There may be players with the physical attributes to be better ruckmen than Sinclair out there if they got the opportunity. He wasn't much of a ruckman when he joined the Swans and has played out of his skin due to the injury to Naismith. But I'm not sure he's going to get any better. I wonder how far away Sam Naismith is now?
    Really admire Sinclair for all his limitations. 110% effort every week.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    As you say Liz, the impact of Buddy's onfield presence on other players' development is harder to gauge.
    But the days when the opposition allocated 2 defenders on Buddy seem long gone. Phil Davis has been demonstrating how to beat Buddy for some years, this week Jordan Roughead even managed it too.
    I hope that McCartin and Blakey will not have their development curtailed, just as I hope Reid, Rohan and maybe Membrey wasn't.

We'll never know what went through Clarkson's mind, but for such a relentlessly results driven coach to risk a potential premiership (especially after losing one) by moving a champion goalkicker up the field because he may be leaving next season just doesn't ring true to me. It seems far more likely that Clarkson might make that move if he believed it would enhance his teams chances.

I must admit I find it hard to comprehend one member of a team getting more than 10% of the salary cap, leaving the other 46 players to share 89%
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    As you say Liz, the impact of Buddy's onfield presence on other players' development is harder to gauge.
    The days when the opposition allocated 2 or more defenders on Buddy, leaving our other forwards relatively free, seem long gone. Phil Davis has been demonstrating how to beat Buddy for some years, this week Jordan Roughead even managed it.

I hope that McCartin and Blakey will not have their development curtailed, just as I hope Reid, Rohan and maybe even Membrey didn't.

We'll never know what went through Clarkson's mind, but for such a relentlessly results driven coach to risk a potential premiership (especially after losing one) by moving a champion goalkicker up the field because he may be leaving next season just doesn't ring true to me. It seems far more likely that Clarkson might make that move if he believed it would enhance his teams chances.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.