Page 18 of 521 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118518 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I think the coming trade period and draft will be a real challenge for our new Football Manager and CEO. How we play trades, retirements and drafting will be critical as to whether we end up in a full-on rebuild or a brief fall down the ladder. It could go either way at present. If Zac Jones continues to play well then at least we should get a reasonable pick for him in trading should he want to leave.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    It was a good article but I would suggest one factual change to this sentence:

"On the field, the Swans made two grand finals, in 2014 and 2016, and they were unfortunate to lose the latter game to the Bulldogs on an afternoon when Buddy hurt his ankle in the opening minutes and the footy gods wore red, white and blue."

That last bit should read "and the umpires and AFL administrators wore red, white and blue for not just the GF but the entire finals series." The 'fairypups' should not have even made it to the 2016 GF !!
    Reckon he hinted at umpires with his footy gods comment. A hint is as much as you'll in Melbourne media.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Reckon he hinted at umpires with his footy gods comment. A hint is as much as you'll in Melbourne media.
    Job protection.....

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    True but all those players were from a long time ago:
    Ted Richards: 2007 join Swans
    Marty Mattner: 2008 join Swans
    Ben McGlynn: 2010 join Swans
    Josh Kennedy: 2010 join Swans
    Mumford: 2010 join Swans
    Jolly:2005 join Swans

We haven't got a first class recruit, apart from Buddy, for a very long time.
    Either our recruiting has got worse or other clubs have got a lot better at identifying and keeping talent; maybe a bit or both.
    None of those guys you mention were 1st class / top$$ recruits - Franklin and Tippett were the only recent recruits in that bracket.
    The others you mention, were all from the shelf below when they arrived. They got developed into all Australians etc. etc.
    And for every Mumford and Jolly there was a Seaby and a Chambers.
    Some recruits will always fail to add to the clubs performance.

The things that have always scared me about recruiting 1st class / top$$ recruits - is that you're putting a lot of eggs in the 1 (or 2) baskets.
    You magnify the dangers.

If it goes wrong the affects are far more significant and longer lasting than if a less expensive recruit fails (or is otherwise deleterious of team performance).
    Even if it goes "right" (however you wish to measure that) - the 1st class / top$$ recruit make it very difficult to recruit anyone else, regardless of how astute the Swans talent spotters may be - because the 1st class / top$$ recruits hoover up so much of the salary cap.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Job protection.....
    All of them will only go so far

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    All of them will only go so far
    Sydney media too. All of them. Far too many conflicts of interest.

I can't remember if anyone has posted this article on Jordan Dawson. There is a lot of focus on resigning Jones (who I also think is a priority) but I'd like us to resign JD too. I liked his game against the Dees and think he should be on the park every week moving forward.
    From Discover on Google No longer all at sea, Dawson is finding his feet as a Swan

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I can't remember if anyone has posted this article on Jordan Dawson. There is a lot of focus on resigning Jones (who I also think is a priority) but I'd like us to resign JD too. I liked his game against the Dees and think he should be on the park every week moving forward.
    From Discover on Google No longer all at sea, Dawson is finding his feet as a Swan
    Great little article. I really hope we can re-sign him this year as I think he has a lot of potential and may replace Kennedy as an inside bull like he plays in the NEAFL most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see which direction we go in for the mid season draft. Do we go long term strategic or short term fix, back KPP, back runner, midfield or forward? I'd like to see us take a punt on running backman who is developing. We aren't winning a premiership this year. Does anyone know much about Baker, Floyd or Rogers?
    Mid-Season Rookie Draft: 50 players who could spark up your list - AFL.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    It will be interesting to see which direction we go in for the mid season draft. Do we go long term strategic or short term fix, back KPP, back runner, midfield or forward? I'd like to see us take a punt on running backman who is developing. We aren't winning a premiership this year. Does anyone know much about Baker, Floyd or Rogers?
    Mid-Season Rookie Draft: 50 players who could spark up your list - AFL.com.au
    Don’t we have a load of running back types currently developing in Ling, Stoddart, McInerney etc.

A ready to play ruckman would be handy but I can’t imagine there’s one out there.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Don’t we have a load of running back types currently developing in Ling, Stoddart, McInerney etc.

A ready to play ruckman would be handy but I can’t imagine there’s one out there.
    Exactly what I was about to post - in addition to those you've named, we have COR and Durak Tucker. I reckon "running back" is the one position our development squad is not short of.

I also really enjoyed the game of Kyle Martin last weekend, playing in our academy team. It was his first game of the year, after being injured at the start of the year, and it's the first time I've seen him. One game isn't really enough to gauge a player's potential but I'm looking forward to seeing some more of him. He was aggressive in the contest, defended well one-on-one. and used his leg speed creatively to help the team escape from defence. On that very limited viewing, he looked to me like he has some AFL attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

We need to look at some fringe ruckmen who might come on given the chance. Zac Smith, Archie Smith and Jon Ceglar come to mind. I've been a fan of Zac Smith's ever since he dominated Naismith in a final against us a few years ago. Mobile and good at the stoppages. Archie is a very good tap ruckman who might be looking for a chance now that Stef Martin looks like re signing. Ceglar is stuck behind McEvoy but handy.