Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McCartin mystery......?

McCartin mystery......?

Please tell me that this is not true. He's one of the most promising forwards the game has seen this decade. This would be traffic; for us and the McCartin family.
    Swan Tom McCartin may miss season... playing career may be over! : AFL

Veterans List

McCartin mystery......?

This:

"Sydney Swans young gun Tom McCartin will undergo further testing next week after suffering a clash at training.

McCartin suffered a knock a few weeks ago that has restricted his training since."

....and there's more.....and it's all a bit strange.

Tom McCartin update - sydneyswans.com.au

Not good news. I hope he is ok. Sounds a bit like concussion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Let’s hope for everyone’s sake it’s nothing serious.

It's weird that they suppressed the news from the media. They seem to have posted a site announcement 2 weeks after it happened, only when ch7 broke the story yesterday.

I'm afraid that doesn't bode well. Hope he's ok irrespective of any footy related concerns.

Does sound like concussion but it could be anything i guess. After all the head knocks his brother has taken I hope it doesn't happen to him too.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Fingers crossed. He's practically a must-have.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    It's weird that they suppressed the news from the media. They seem to have posted a site announcement 2 weeks after it happened, only when ch7 broke the story yesterday.

I'm afraid that doesn't bode well. Hope he's ok irrespective of any footy related concerns.
    I don't think it's weird. First and foremost it's a health issue for McCartin and I don't see why the club needs to make his personal health a public matter, especially during the pre-season where there is no real need to explain his absence from the team. If it is a concussion type issue, two weeks is a relatively short period of time to be ringing alarm bells. Sure, it sounds more than a minor issue, but certainly a bit premature, surely, to suggest his career might be over. And if it really is that serious, I think it's even more understandable that the club would want to keep the matter private for the present.

I think it's a shame that the journalist who "broke the story" couldn't have shown a bit more sensitivity and respect for Tom's privacy. It's not as if he's a superstar of the competition (yet), such that this is even big news in the context of the game. He's just a teenager trying to make his way in the game. (Not that a higher profile player wouldn't also have the right to privacy.)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think it's weird. First and foremost it's a health issue for McCartin and I don't see why the club needs to make his personal health a public matter, especially during the pre-season where there is no real need to explain his absence from the team. If it is a concussion type issue, two weeks is a relatively short period of time to be ringing alarm bells. Sure, it sounds more than a minor issue, but certainly a bit premature, surely, to suggest his career might be over. And if it really is that serious, I think it's even more understandable that the club would want to keep the matter private for the present.

I think it's a shame that the journalist who "broke the story" couldn't have shown a bit more sensitivity and respect for Tom's privacy. It's not as if he's a superstar of the competition (yet), such that this is even big news in the context of the game. He's just a teenager trying to make his way in the game. (Not that a higher profile player wouldn't also have the right to privacy.)
    Sensitivity and respect in very short supply at the moment starting with our political leaders and, in almost every case, our media.

Well said. Perhaps 'weird' wasn't the right word. Was alluding that it is indicative of the characteristics you have outlined - personal, private, potentially serious, uncertain implications. Anwway, i hope the kid is ok. That's all,
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Veterans List

In the case of a mental health issue, yes, privacy needs to be respected. In the case of an injury which stops a player playing, the footy public has every right to know about it and not weeks after it happened. I think it is a bit weird and is typical of our clubs reluctance to be upfront about a lot of things, much like their lack of website and injury list updating. I actually think it's quite unacceptable that the club took two weeks to make this public! My take on this and I sincerely hope I'm wrong, is that the 'injury' is potentially quite bad and does potentially threaten his career....I feel for him and hope he's going to be ok both in the short and long term.

But I don't think I'm alone in wishing our club would be more 'upfront' and transparent on certain footy matters...

Anyway.....here's the latest on it.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-...ter-head-knock
    Last edited by stevoswan; 23rd February 2019 at 05:15 PM.

I don't think it's "unacceptable", particularly if they initially thought it was minor but it's only after a couple of weeks that he has continued to struggle with post-concussive symptoms that it became something disclosable. You don't always know with head knocks if it will be a quick or standard recovery or if symptoms will linger. Seemingly innocuous bumps can cause quite severe manifestations of symptoms and heavier knocks may do less damage, at least initially.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast