Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: JLT1 Swans v GWS @ Blacktown Saturday 2nd March

1) Kennedy always look poor in the preseason comp. And looks like a different player in the season proper. If others were doing the same that would make a huge difference.

2) It’s been traditional for other coaches to act as senior coach in the preseason comp. Was Horse even coaching?

3) It’s also anticipated that teams won’t reveal major tactical changes until the competition starts.

We may still be underwhelming and disorganised then, but I think no one should panic based on the JLT performance.

I’d like to see the Swans play more like the Giants, it’s clean , it’s supportive, it catches the opposition out of positions, it scores goals, it’s exciting and it works .
    The Swans game plan of stop, think, look , kick breaks down again and again .
    I’m sure we will see some of it later on .

We can do it.

We won the clearances and contested possessions by a decent margin, and outscored GWS after the first qtr. Take out those three lucky GWS goals in the first qtr and we might have won. Looks like the game plan is working nicely yet again. We seem to be well ahead of where we normally are at this stage of the season. I'm glad I got my money on early this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Also, FWIW, a couple of 2018 JLT results:

GWS 96 - Collingwood 36
    Fremantle 101 - WCE 39
    I also don't recall us winning one under Paul Roos. Could be wrong, but they don't mean much to me. Most teams will be trying to get their stars ready for round one.

Veteran Site Admin
    I see Nick Blakely has been offered a $2k fine by the MRP for striking Matt Buntine during the second quarter of Saturday's game.

Big Roo offered one-match penalty for rough contact - AFL.com.au

Does anyone recall the incident? I remember him getting frustrated twice after he gave away free kicks in marking contests that he clearly didn't think were warranted. I think one of those involved Buntine. Is that the incident he's been fined for? If so, it seems a little harsh. I think he was genuinely trying to spoil the ball and contact was incidental. A free kick was warranted but it didn't strike me at the time as a reportable offence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I also don't recall us winning one under Paul Roos. Could be wrong, but they don't mean much to me. Most teams will be trying to get their stars ready for round one.
    If I remember rightly, he jagged a NAB Cup game, in his final season with us. Which makes his Swans coaching record; one premiership win, nine winns in finals, 107 regular season wins and one NAB Cup game.

Its March who cares, only 1 Stat is off interest in these games and that is the Injury Stat.

Have a run around blow some cobwebs out and don't get hurt, we played Buddy and Co. 3 Pre-season games last year all for nothing.

Come out without injuries, the rest is irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Come out without injuries, the rest is irrelevant
    Pretty much.

But its also nice to get a look at the newbies:

Thurlow was often in the play, and kicked accurately - looks likely to make the 22;

Clarke got to a lot of contests but his disposal was execrable - borderline;

McInerney certainly has plenty of skill but he looks about 12yo - put him away til next year before someone snaps him in two;

Blakey's obviously a keeper, but I hope they don't put too much pressure on him;

Mills and Mellican looked as good as ever, but Reid has a lot of work to do. Just a relief to see them get thru unscathed.

Very pleasing to see O'Riordan and Fox show some solid form this early - I think we will definitely need them once the injuries start coming.

Regular in the Side
    Reid has a lot of work to do. Seemed to be on limited minutes.
    Aliir looked lost. Where was he playing. 2nd ruck at times, back forward and ineffective.
    Rampe was not working very hard.

Rb4x. Would suggest that not meant of the leaders worked very hard.
    And agree the only stat is no injuries...

Goes up to 11
    There are 3 certainties at this time of year:
    1. Swans will look unremarkable in preseason.
    2. JPK will start the year slowly and will generally look half asleep in trials.
    3. Certain posters on here will proclaim that the sky has fallen in and completely write off any chances of anything good happening in the year ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    If I remember rightly, he jagged a NAB Cup game, in his final season with us. Which makes his Swans coaching record; one premiership win, nine winns in finals, 107 regular season wins and one NAB Cup game.
    That's my memory, too - just the one win. I spent a while trying to check, and was reminded that perhaps the most excitement generated by Roos' NAB cup campaigns was back in 2008 when he sent McVeigh into the forward line with the instruction, "Just don't kick a goal", in reference to his player's inaccuracy of the previous season. The AFL, with its comprehensive understanding of nuance and irony, engaged former Victorian Court of Appeal president John Winneke to investigate whether Roos was guilty of match-fixing. (He was cleared, btw!)

Roos' same sense of humour is probably evident in his 2010 comment before the first of the NAB cup games: ''This is my last chance for a win,'' he said. ''I'll go out zero and eight if I lose. That won't look good on my resume.''

One article from the time https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...0210-nsfl.html pretty much summed up in its title how seriously these pre-season games are taken: "Who cares wins."

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789