Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rule changes and Tactics 2019

I too am dismayed about the ease with which the first 50m penalty became a 100m penalty in these incidents. All the more so given how ridiculous some 50m penalties are in the first place when awarded against a player supposedly running through the protected zone, though there clearly had been no negative impact on the player with the ball.

I agree Liz, more goals seen to have become a GOOD THING. Well, if they were truthful, more TV ad breaks=more TV revenue= a GOOD THING.

Veterans List
    Don't worry, Clarkson isn't happy about the rule change so there may be another coffee meeting coming up and the rule may change back 😊.

But seriously why did they even need to change the rule?? Too many unwarranted rule changes this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Don't worry, Clarkson isn't happy about the rule change so there may be another coffee meeting coming up and the rule may change back 😊.

But seriously why did they even need to change the rule?? Too many unwarranted rule changes this year.
    I think it's because most people like the 6/6/6 rule, so the AFL figured, that they should throw in something, that would piss off pretty well everybody. Balance.

- - - Updated - - -

But hey, if Clarkson's unhappy, I can't see it lasting too long.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I think it's because most people like the 6/6/6 rule ........
    Mind you, that rule looked pretty silly when the ump had to stop the game for 30 seconds while he sent everybody back into their 6/6/6 positions (including two players right back into the goal square each end) before a free kick could be taken.

I understand the reason (to negate any advantage from giving away a professional free kick at the centre bounce) but it looked pretty farcical.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Mind you, that rule looked pretty silly when the ump had to stop the game for 30 seconds while he sent everybody back into their 6/6/6 positions (including two players right back into the goal square each end) before a free kick could be taken.

I understand the reason (to negate any advantage from giving away a professional free kick at the centre bounce) but it looked pretty farcical.
    Yes, that could possibly do with a tweak. Though once everyone knows what is required, the players should look less like naughty school kids.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    kThough once everyone knows what is required, the players should look less like naughty school kids.
    Lol, that is a very good description of what it looked like!

Last year Aliir Aliir was one of the AFL's most formidable defenders, playing a loose defender / intercepting mark role. I wonder what fellow RWO's opinions are, as to whether the 6-6-6 rule will make it much more difficult for him to play this loose defender role?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post
    Last year Aliir Aliir was one of the AFL's most formidable defenders, playing a loose defender / intercepting mark role. I wonder what fellow RWO's opinions are, as to whether the 6-6-6 rule will make it much more difficult for him to play this loose defender role?
    Reckon Allir will be used as a defender, back up ruckman and even in an on ball role this year. Makes things happen even if you get the odd clanger. Should be exciting to watch.

The limitation re time on the field by runners is causing a bit of angst from some coaches and players.

Looking at the role of runners in the past, this is a really interesting (and at times funny) article about Brendan Riseley who ran for nine clubs, including Sydney when Eade was coach.

The runner who worked at nine AFL clubs - AFL.com.au

On the Rookie List
    The AFL is one of my most disliked organisations. They have no faith in the game itself and continually change the rules to give the fans a 'product' they think they want.
    Then there is AFLX...their confidence in their own game is so low they butcher it beyond imagination and try to sell it to an international audience.
    And lets not start on 'fan engagement' or their 'management' of local footy and 'support' of local footy clubs.

I'm really glad the AFL have stuck to their guns about the rules on runners. I think they should give them a chance to work. Clubs will adjust. How hard can it be? I like the idea of a bit more responsibility being put on the players. The coaches main role is to prepare the players for the game not to conduct the team like they're an orchestra. And if it doesn't work we can look at further changes over the next off season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12