Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rule changes and Tactics 2019

Rule changes and Tactics 2019

Hey all , been thinking about this a bit recently and couldn’t see an appropriate place to post so decided to open up a new topic.

With the new starting positions I think we will definitely need to address our midfield mix. Mainly in that I don’t think we can afford to have a one paced starting 3 on the ball. The new rules have really created an environment where the dynamic, powerful and Quick mids can really capitalise on the space they will be afforded out of the middle at centre bounces.

I know we’re trying to get more of our quicker dynamic types some onball minutes ( florent , papley , Jones etc. ) but I really think we will need to have at least one mid at all bounces with that capacity to break away with pace from the contest. Much more so than in previous years.

Other than the 3 I mentioned above , who else do we have that could be that designated break away mid at some centre bounces ? Interested to hear others thoughts about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Hey all , been thinking about this a bit recently and couldn’t see an appropriate place to post so decided to open up a new topic.

With the new starting positions I think we will definitely need to address our midfield mix. Mainly in that I don’t think we can afford to have a one paced starting 3 on the ball. The new rules have really created an environment where the dynamic, powerful and Quick mids can really capitalise on the space they will be afforded out of the middle at centre bounces.

I know we’re trying to get more of our quicker dynamic types some onball minutes ( florent , papley , Jones etc. ) but I really think we will need to have at least one mid at all bounces with that capacity to break away with pace from the contest. Much more so than in previous years.

Other than the 3 I mentioned above , who else do we have that could be that designated break away mid at some centre bounces ? Interested to hear others thoughts about this.

Agree to a point but I really think that you need a really strong clearance group where I'm hoping the likes of our strong bodied players like Kennedy and Parker will benefit along with adding Heeney and Mills into there also. Need a bit of breakaway speed too though so I think as you said the likes of Florent and probably Papley will be important additions.

I know it's only JLT but tonight has shown how important a good centre clearance group will be with all the extra space generated with these new rules!

Another thing I think that will be really valuable will be a strong tap ruckman at the centre bounces so I think a fit Naismith will be essential for us this year to be successful!

I really like the look of the new rules so far and it's really helped a bull like Cripps I reckon so I hope our big boys also benefit!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin

In the longer term I think we could see Ronke graduate to an onball role. I see him as a long term replacement for Jack, who used to supply that smaller, evasive, zippy body at centre bounces. Indeed, the club compared him to Jack when they initially recruited him. However, I suspect we won't see him play that role during 2019. Not unless the team struggles during the season and the coaches start to experiment with a few different things. I think 2019 will be more about him building on his forward line role and consolidating a spot in the best 22.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    In the longer term I think we could see Ronke graduate to an onball role. I see him as a long term replacement for Jack, who used to supply that smaller, evasive, zippy body at centre bounces. Indeed, the club compared him to Jack when they initially recruited him. However, I suspect we won't see him play that role during 2019. Not unless the team struggles during the season and the coaches start to experiment with a few different things. I think 2019 will be more about him building on his forward line role and consolidating a spot in the best 22.
    Yes I forgot about Ronke . Rowbottom is another but in good time. I know it’ll probably never happen but I’d love to see Rampe in the guts at some stage too.

Centre clearances are a team effort combining the attributes of the ruckman and the midfielders. Our midfield dropped off last year but with the injection of young talent like Heeney, Papley and Mills plus potentially our best tap ruckman coming back from injury in Naismiith, there is serious improvement potential.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Centre clearances are a team effort combining the attributes of the ruckman and the midfielders. Our midfield dropped off last year but with the injection of young talent like Heeney, Papley and Mills plus potentially our best tap ruckman coming back from injury in Naismiith, there is serious improvement potential.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I get that 100% I’m just saying with the changes this year , having someone who can break away from the centre with pace and deliver to a non flooded forward line will be pretty important. I feel like this rule advantages teams with these types of players , the dangers , Dusty’s etc . And I hope we don’t get left behind by running a midfield mix that is all slow-medium types all at once .

Goes up to 11
    I get that 100% I’m just saying with the changes this year , having someone who can break away from the centre with pace and deliver to a non flooded forward line will be pretty important.

Ollie Florent come on down. I'm expecting big things from him this year and think he'll really improve. This sort of rule change will help him, even if he's coming off a wing more than attending centre bounces.

Warming the Bench
    I read on the AFL website about Heeney doing speed work over the off-season. He might be the one to be the clearance guy. He's also very good defensively and with more space in the centre square all teams will need good defensive midfielders to nullify the likes of Dusty and Danger. I still see JPK in the centre though - he reads the taps really well and is very hard to stop at ground level. I'm looking forward to the 6-6-6 rule; it should reduce congestion.

A heads-up if you haven't seen it to have a look at the video on the AFL's website, "Clarity needed over 'ridiculous rule'". The commentators to the Port v North JLT match reacted with a mixture of bemusement and bewilderment. "This rule has got the capacity to create a few issues in the first couple of weeks." The reference is to the new 50 metre rule. Apparently the best new tactics are to manage to get a free at the centre bounce, hope - or engineer it that - the opposition player is in your way or the restricted zone, get a 50 metre penalty and then - as your opponent somewhat lazily jogs up-field to the mark, sprint towards the mark, lean into your opponent, and claim they were "impeding" you. On today's evidence, the tactic works a treat. If AFL footy has turned into this ...

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    A heads-up if you haven't seen it to have a look at the video on the AFL's website, "Clarity needed over 'ridiculous rule'". The commentators to the Port v North JLT match reacted with a mixture of bemusement and bewilderment. "This rule has got the capacity to create a few issues in the first couple of weeks." The reference is to the new 50 metre rule. Apparently the best new tactics are to manage to get a free at the centre bounce, hope - or engineer it that - the opposition player is in your way or the restricted zone, get a 50 metre penalty and then - as your opponent somewhat lazily jogs up-field to the mark, sprint towards the mark, lean into your opponent, and claim they were "impeding" you. On today's evidence, the tactic works a treat. If AFL footy has turned into this ...
    If that is the rule working as designed, then I'm not a fan. It looks to me far too easy to turn a 50m penalty into a 100m penalty every time. All you have to do is sprint up to the marker as he runs back and fake a handpass and there is very little that he can do. The only way for the defender to avoid it to leave their opponent as soon as the 50m is given and get someone else to stand the new mark.

Veteran Site Admin
    I didn't see the first instance, though I heard the commentators discussing it later. I saw the second one.

I am hoping that is one that the umpires will review during the week and realise shouldn't have been paid. I know they (the umpires) have a lot to watch during a game, but they have to be able to distinguish between incidents like that, and players truly retarding the player who has been awarded the 50m penalty. If that is how the rules fraternity thinks the rule should be interpreted, we're in for a frustrating and controversial season.

I'd also like to see some regulation against retardation of the player trying to run forward to man the mark (or another player coming in to man the mark) after a 50m penalty. I am not sure what the punishment should be - ideally elimination of the 50m penalty but I doubt that will be applied. The AFL is far too obsessed with trying to increase the total number of goals registered on the scoreboard at the end of the game to ensure balance between the team attacking and the team trying to defend.

Veterans List
    Why did the league think this change in rule was needed in the first place? It just seems like change for change sake and in typical AFL fashion, it's a complete cockup.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast