Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let the academies "review" commence

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I dont mind this. This could work in our favour.

The NGA academies are nothing less than legitimised racism. It gives AFL boys with a different heritage a massive leg up over their competitors. All of the NGA zones are already in AFL territories and do nothing to advance the game. All they do is appease the clubs in AFL states, theVictorian clubs in particular. I'll guarantee that these clubs spend only a fraction on their academies compared to us.

As for the northern academies, I can't see them being removed because they are too important to the development of the game in those states and it costs the AFL nothing.
    They don't spend anything on the Academies. The AFL foots the bill and they get to. Ominate players in their zones.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    As for the northern academies, I can't see them being removed because they are too important to the development of the game in those states and it costs the AFL nothing.
    This is true, but I wouldn't even trust the AFL to look after its own interests, until they are prepared to put Eddie back in his box.

"the contentious Northern states academies" says a lot. There is no recognition of the importance of the system to the northern clubs, nor of the time it will take to start getting the most benefit from the present arrangement.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    "To be eligible the player must be born or have one parent born in Asia or Africa; be of Indigenous background residing in a remote region; or have both parents born in a non-English speaking country (not Asia or Africa)."

So, just doing a hypothetical from those rules. If a two hundred game player marries an African or Asian woman, and then raises children, in a zone of another club, then those kids would be eligible to drafted through the NGA system. Because, you know, the AFL is keen to encourage, the participation of kiddies who may have never played the game.
    If my memory serves me correct, Darry Cresswell's two boys is in the same boat. I remember someone posted a little while back an article about Darryn Cresswell who has married an African woman and lives in North Melbourne's Tassie NGA zone. He was hoping at the time to get his boys into the Swans Academy so they can get away from North's clutches, as they're both keen Swans fans to boot.
    Last edited by KSAS; 2nd March 2019 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    If my memory serves me correct, Darry Cresswell's two boys is in the same boat. I remember someone posted a little while back an article about Darryn Cresswell who has married an African woman and lives in North Melbourne's Tassie NGA zone. He was hoping at the time to get his boys into the Swans Academy so they can get away from North's clutches, as they're both keen Swans fans to boot.
    Reports so far, suggest that the clubs have been a bit half-arsed, in setting up their NGAs, so I doubt if Darryn would be under any compulsion to send his kids to a NGA. That being said, if one of them turned out to be AFL standard, I assume that there would be some sort of struggle between North and us.
    Now I'm wondering, if it's possible for an ex-player to nominate an academy for their kids, if they're outside the club's zone?

If the argument in favour of academies is that they bring new young talent into the game that wouldn’t otherwise play...

Then only those players should have academy benefits attached, which I would suggest, means we were fortunate with Blakey as he was always going to play at a reasonable level.

You could propose a F/S system for coaches (why is it only players?) as a counter to that.

It’s obviously hard to know 100% a players intentions but I would say any F/S players are probably the easiest to judge.

There’s no way Cresswell’s sons should be academy players but the same surely applies to Blakey.

There’s also the benefit of drafting an academy player that they are a known quantity and you can spend their academy years entirely on preparing them for AFL.

Unlike TAC cup etc you could even argue it’s in a clubs interests for their academy players to be as low profile as possible in their draft year.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    If the argument in favour of academies is that they bring new young talent into the game that wouldn’t otherwise play...

Then only those players should have academy benefits attached, which I would suggest, means we were fortunate with Blakey as he was always going to play at a reasonable level.

You could propose a F/S system for coaches (why is it only players?) as a counter to that.

It’s obviously hard to know 100% a players intentions but I would say any F/S players are probably the easiest to judge.

There’s no way Cresswell’s sons should be academy players but the same surely applies to Blakey.
    There is a difference. Blakey has been a member of the Academy since early teens. With Creswell his sons would have had to come from wherever he was coaching as late teens to join the academy. They are not eligible anyway because they do not live within the academy zone. Nick Blakey did live within the Academy zone. Not only that, up until he was able to join the Academy he was in the same boat as Heens or Mills in that he could have ended up playing any code or basketball even.

Yes his father was a champion VFL player but so was Kizza's father a champ at NRL.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

The NGA academies are nothing less than legitimised racism. It gives AFL boys with a different heritage a massive leg up over their competitors.
    For pity's sake.

Veterans List
    The NGA academies are nothing less than legitimised racism. It gives AFL boys with a different heritage a massive leg up over their competitors.
    I would never call a 'redressing of the balance' to allow more kids from a persecuted and under privileged section of our society racism. You're comment however.....

Please desist.....

Veterans List
    Why don't they add a clause where if a father coaches a club for 100 games plus then his son would be able to nominate that club. I don't know how many there would be, but there are many players who played less than 100 games for a club or played over 100 games split between 2 clubs. So in Blakey's situation his father has been on a senior coaching panel for many games. The father of the Reid brothers played less than 100 games. Yes he didn't coach but what if he did. The sons of Roos would have been eligible. Just a thought.

I think the discussion above re Cresswell’s sons has got a bit confused. While I am not 100% confident of the facts either, I think Cresswell must live in regional Victoria (he has a two-year contract to coach the Wangaratta Rovers, and spent the previous four years coaching the Wodonga Raiders). He is now in a second marriage and has at least one young son from that marriage.

I think his two sons from his first marriage live with their birth mother in Tasmania. They are in North’s NGA and eligible for the draft by North because their birth mother has an indigenous background.

Under current rules, when the boys reach draft age they could be eligible for North through their NGA or for the Swans as a F/S (as Cresswell played 244 games for us).

That would put them in a similar position to Bailey Scott who came through the Gold Coast academy but was also also eligible as a F/S for both North and Geelong, as well as Nick Blakey.

Scott chose North through the F/S route. Blakey chose us through the Academy route.

In the attached article (May 2018), Cresswell said “It would be fantastic if they (his sons) could play for the Swans one day." Also Beatson is quoted as expressing interest in the boys joining the Swans academy. Whether their mother would support that is not discussed.

Swan father-sons developing in Roos academy - AFL.com.au

Jake Niall's language is quite inflammatory in that article, which is most unprofessional. The facts are that neither Heeney nor Mills would have made it to the AFL without the Academy. Nick Blakey would have had to have found a way to develop here or go to Victoria to train. What our academy gives us is access to the same level of professional coaching that kids in Vic, SA and WA have always received. It's that simple. Without that it goes back to well meaning parents and part timers doing the best they can without support.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast