Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shabby SCG turf

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Chances of the NEAFL games retaining curtain raiser status seems slim now.
    And no doubt they'll move most of them out to GWS territory to boot....

Veterans List
    I saw footage of the turf on the ABC this morning. It's going to be a major concern playing on that.

Is ANZ Stadium still available?? 😜

Veterans List
    Deleted...posted in wrong thread.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Chances of the NEAFL games retaining curtain raiser status seems slim now.
    My recollection isn’t perfect, but I think Harley confirmed the reserves wouldn’t get to play on the SCG this year.

Senior Player

Regular in the Side
    The Roosters play the Rabbitohs on Friday night with about 3000 square meters of turf freshly relaid. League will not be much kinder to the turf than Union so expect to see more carnage.

Senior Player
    That is absolutely terrible.

Looks like it’s Only just been laid. I assume that is the summer grass still and the winter grasses haven’t grown through yet. Not sure when they oversow with the winter grasses.

Veterans List
    I just saw highlights of the Super Rugby match played at the SCG and the scrums....it was disgusting the way the turf just lifted to reveal sand. The SCG board should be sacked (go Labour in the election!), that surface is substandard. If we get any knee injuries, we should sue the board......it's shoddy management.

They said on the report that about a quarter of the surface will be relaid before Friday night's League game.....it's just pathetic! Luckily, we don't play there for another three weeks.....but how much better could it get in that short a time?

David King highlighted the state of the SCG turf on SEN this morning. He predicted it will become a major taking point by round 6 when we're scheduled to play GWS at home, as 3 games in 7 days will have been played on the ground. He fears the playing surface will become a bog by the winter months judging how much the surface is currently being chopped up by the amount of rugby being played.. According to David King, the SCG will be hosting this load of rugby for the next 3 years whilst Allianz stadium is being re-built. Is this correct?

Veteran Site Admin
    I'd have thought that whether it becomes a bog or not will depend on the rain fall as much as usage - ie lots of usage but not much rain won't create a bog. And the drainage at the ground is pretty good.

But even if it is relatively dry this autumn and winter, the ground could still be dangerous even if it doesn't become boggy. Indeed, a dry unstable surface could be more dangerous than a chopped up, boggy surface.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    David King highlighted the state of the SCG turf on SEN this morning. He predicted it will become a major taking point by round 6 when we're scheduled to play GWS at home, as 3 games in 7 days will have been played on the ground. He fears the playing surface will become a bog by the winter months judging how much the surface is currently being chopped up by the amount of rugby being played.. According to David King, the SCG will be hosting this load of rugby for the next 3 years whilst Allianz stadium is being re-built. Is this correct?
    There will be more rugby league games than rugby games over the course of this year, and likely the next couple of years, but I think both rugby and rugby league will consider moving some games if the issues persist.

That said, the SCG have of course come out and said that they'll sort the issues over the next few weeks.

I wouldn't trust much of what David King says anyway, particularly regarding stadiums, surfaces etc outside of Melbourne.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Dear Gladys B.....you are a complete moron. Thanks for nothing.....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast