Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shabby SCG turf

This issue was brought up on Footy Classified and On The Couch tonight, with both reporting the Swans (Harley) are very concerned and will be keeping close eye. They both showed stills of a rugby scrum chopping up huge chunks of turf and ground staff attempting to stamp them back in. You'd think the AFL (Gill) will become involved if the surface becomes a safety concern?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    This issue was brought up on Footy Classified and On The Couch tonight, with both reporting the Swans (Harley) are very concerned and will be keeping close eye. They both showed stills of a rugby scrum chopping up huge chunks of turf and ground staff attempting to stamp them back in. You'd think the AFL (Gill) will become involved if the surface becomes a safety concern?
    He will probably appear to be doing something in his usual shallow way

Goes up to 11
    The rugby was played the week before. I didn't see the league game on Friday night so not sure how well the surface has progressed over the week, but I noticed that the footage they used on AFL360 was from over a week ago - probably selected as it looked so shocking.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I appreciate the desire for teams based out of the SFS to want to play next door, but hopefully sanity prevails and at least some of the games are moved to other venues. I imagine it's a numbers game and even getting just a small number of the rugby(s) games off the ground would be a big help.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Warming the Bench
    I hope we get preferential treatment over the other two codes otherwise it would be an insult to the club.
    The grass needs to be cut a lot shorter for an AFL game otherwise the ball doesn't bounce as high, this was a problem at Homebush they wouldn't shave the grass back to the height required causing a lot of sloppy football. I remember Matthew Lloyd and several of the Swans players when playing at that ground saying that you would struggle to kick the ball more than 40 metres due to the long grass.
    You also have the problem of not being able to get full traction with your stops in the ground causing a lot of slipping which happened a hell of a lot on that ground.
    How much money would the Swans/AFL be spending on the ground compared to the other codes.
    Remember the Nick Davis versus Geelong final that was to be played at Homebush but the ground wasn't up to AFL standard so it was moved to the SCG I just hope that the reverse doesn't happen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    It's disappointing that the "once was bus loop" oval is still that far away, I would have thought that it would be accelerated like crazy as soon as they became aware that they'd likely need to have an additional place to train.
    "The oval formerly known as bus loop".

Also, did Barry get banned? In memory of and on his behalf, I suggest moving all Swans home games to Homebush.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I appreciate the desire for teams based out of the SFS to want to play next door, but hopefully sanity prevails and at least some of the games are moved to other venues. I imagine it's a numbers game and even getting just a small number of the rugby(s) games off the ground would be a big help.
    Don't know about the roosters, but the waratahs are already playing several of their games elsewhere - I think they only have 3 or 4 scheduled for the SCG.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Don't know about the roosters, but the waratahs are already playing several of their games elsewhere - I think they only have 3 or 4 scheduled for the SCG.
    I have to admit, I do find this stuff fascinating and I'm sure it's because somewhere in the brain I'm thinking "okay, I don't work in that industry but is there some kind of skill I can apply?" then daydream about if\else statements or process models to work out exactly how frequently they can allow traffic* of different kinds on the surface.

* Now, speaking of traffic- surely we could improve flow by...
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    The Roosters have 8 more games scheduled for the SCG.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    I hope we get preferential treatment over the other two codes otherwise it would be an insult to the club.
    This is NSW we're talking about.....I can't see that happening.....and yes, it will be an insult to our club.

Solution:
    1. Rugby players must be barefoot.
    2. Maximum player weight: 80 kgs.

Barefoot Rugby.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    "The oval formerly known as bus loop".

Also, did Barry get banned? In memory of and on his behalf, I suggest moving all Swans home games to Homebush.
    or spotless.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast