Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shabby SCG turf

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    or spotless.
    Lots of people love that ground, but after the trauma of the swans first loss to GWS, I can’t go back.

Veterans List
    The ground looks ok in the training photos, (small sample I know). At least we won't be playing there for over a week so hopefully it will improve even more.

The grounds staff re-turfed the damaged areas after the rugby match where the really bad photos were taken. I watched about 5 mins of the league match last weekend to see how the new turf coped and it seemed fine.

So hopefully the problem is resolved.

The good news: rugby (via scrummaging) is the major culprit in turf damage and the Waratahs are "only" playing four games.

The bad news: Both rugby and league games involve a lot of foot traffic in the centre (cricket pitch) area (as does AFL). If there is heavy rain in the lead-up to, or during, a rugby or league game (or an AFL game), there is going to be a bog around centre bounces and their environs.

Staying positive: It could be a return to the good old days where courage and aggression are as important as skills, and muddy players at the end of a game are the norm when it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    The good news: rugby (via scrummaging) is the major culprit in turf damage and the Waratahs are "only" playing four games.

The bad news: Both rugby and league games involve a lot of foot traffic in the centre (cricket pitch) area (as does AFL). If there is heavy rain in the lead-up to, or during, a rugby or league game (or an AFL game), there is going to be a bog around centre bounces and their environs.

Staying positive: It could be a return to the good old days where courage and aggression are as important as skills, and muddy players at the end of a game are the norm when it rains.
    Bring back the mudbaths if you ask me :P
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Regular in the Side
    The real test will be the Crusaders v Waratahs match on Saturday night.

Goes up to 11
    I wouldn't say the surface of the ground we played on this weekend was a real marvel either.....

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I wouldn't say the surface of the ground we played on this weekend was a real marvel either.....
    I see what you did there
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Lots of people love that ground, but after the trauma of the swans first loss to GWS, I can’t go back.
    I noticed it's not called spotless anymore, it's called "giants stadium". Makes it awkward for any swans games.

Can U imagine the swans ever having enough power to name the SCG "swans stadium".?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I noticed it's not called spotless anymore, it's called "giants stadium". Makes it awkward for any swans games.

Can U imagine the swans ever having enough power to name the SCG "swans stadium".?
    Quite a coup by GWS to buy the naming rights of the stadium.

“The Sydney Showground Stadium has a new naming rights sponsor - the Greater Western Sydney Giants themselves.

In what is believed to be an Australian first, the venue will now be known as 'Giants Stadium' after a group of cashed-up supporters bought the rights themselves on behalf of the club.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...22-p516ou.html

SCG surface 'unsafe' after player suffers horror injury from pitch https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...1bly.html?btis

Sent from my iPhone

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Bring back the mudbaths if you ask me :P
    I stood at the old Brunswick St oval for many years in rain, hail and snow (well, maybe not snow) watching the Royboys getting belted.

Those guys would be laughing at the complaints floating around about the condition of the SCG.

I appreciate the need to reduce the risk of injury, but playing on a perfect surface has taken some of the wet weather skills right out of the game.

How many current players have even seen a muddy field, let alone played on one?

Old guy yelling at clouds here, but I still cherish the memory of seeing Darrel Baldock playing in mud up to his knees, and displaying skills that took your breath away. He was the best wet weather player I ever saw, maybe even the best player I've ever seen.

Rant over.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast