Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shabby SCG turf

Regular in the Side

Shabby SCG turf

Am here at the rugby witnessing major divets of sand and the thinnest layer of turf being churned up at every scrum, sometimes at tackles. Groundsmen busy belting it all back down but instability reigns. Can't see much improvement happening before our season starts, so may the gods be with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Patterns emerge, but do they mean anything? No.

Add a layer of dew at night matches. Oh gawd!

Veteran Site Admin
    Not to mention the far greater traffic that the ground will encounter this season. In normal years, it would get a chance to "rest" between Swans home games (other than training), but this year (and I guess next, as well) it won't get that same opportunity.

Hopefully we have a winter with regular bouts of low to moderate rain to keep it watered but not bogged.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not to mention the far greater traffic that the ground will encounter this season. In normal years, it would get a chance to "rest" between Swans home games (other than training), but this year (and I guess next, as well) it won't get that same opportunity.

Hopefully we have a winter with regular bouts of low to moderate rain to keep it watered but not bogged.
    Just looking through the planned matches, there's some good news and some bad news. Good news is that there's only two more Waratahs and two more Sydney FC matches scheduled. The bad news; there's nine Roosters matches coming up. Ugghh!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know what our access to the ground is for training through this season? I assume with this much use it's more limited than normal, but no idea just how limited that would be.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Watched the condition on the news. OMG.

Not sure what the club can do other than double strapping for ankles and knees. And have big insurance

Could be a year of bad ground conditions and injuries that hopefully will not follow.

Veterans List
    So now we have to worry about season ending knee injuries emanating from home games......great!

Rugby is far and away the worst of the main Australian sports for turf. The SCG turf is generally pretty good but it's not grown with rugby in mind. This is terrible news for the ground and as the major winter tenant and far and away the biggest crowd puller we have to demand better.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Does anyone know what our access to the ground is for training through this season? I assume with this much use it's more limited than normal, but no idea just how limited that would be.
    I thought I'd read that the club would only be able to train there during the weeks immediately before a home game. But I asked the question at the recent AGM and was told (by Harley) that the club retains its contractual rights to train there three times every week. He did, however, acknowledge that they may face some pressure to move training to alternative venues. The revamped oval outside the SCG (I guess we can't call it Bus Loop Oval anymore, given the bus loop has gone) is due to be available in a couple of months. Last week they were preparing to lay the turf. A week earlier, when I walked past it, it was just a random pattern of mounds of earth.

Senior Player
    I wonder if there is any chance the AFL might declare the ground unsafe? I have not seen any vision myself but can imagine players suing if they get injured.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Chances of the NEAFL games retaining curtain raiser status seems slim now.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Chances of the NEAFL games retaining curtain raiser status seems slim now.
    You'd imagine that would be the first thing to get the chop - bad for our fans and our developing players.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast