Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Team Selection R1 v Bulldogs

I agree we have gone too tall. With the exception of Grundy and maybe Sinclair they are all pretty mobile. But in saying that I'd prefer to have another small in.

I think with the 6-6-6 rule we have deliberately gone tall in our forward line as a tactic to exploit other teams defences. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

Also interesting choice with Aliir in the ruck, I look forward to seeing it after missing the JLT games.

Like the side. Would've taken COR over Melican on form otherwise that's pretty much how I see it. As I mentioned before, there are enough skillful mids who can push up and play as small forwards. Heeney, Parker, JPK, Ollie, Harry and even McVeigh can be damaging when pushed forward and I feel Ronke's form has just not warranted selection. As a small forward with limited ability elsewhere, he really needs to be good for a few goals and half a dozen tackles most matches, which he hadn't been doing of late.

It's an encouraging team, but time will tell.

I'm not that familiar with the JLT form, but I was never on the Ronke bandwagon, so I don't mind him missing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Like the side. Would've taken COR over Melican on form otherwise that's pretty much how I see it. As I mentioned before, there are enough skillful mids who can push up and play as small forwards. Heeney, Parker, JPK, Ollie, Harry and even McVeigh can be damaging when pushed forward and I feel Ronke's form has just not warranted selection. As a small forward with limited ability elsewhere, he really needs to be good for a few goals and half a dozen tackles most matches, which he hadn't been doing of late.
    I agree re Ronkes form, however most of those you mentioned don’t play as small forwards necessarily , Heeney , Parker and JPK play medium -tall if anything. McVeigh more of a slow flanker. None of those offer the pace or pressure we need to support a 3 pronged tall forward line . So hopefully Ronke gets back in sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I agree re Ronkes form, however most of those you mentioned don’t play as small forwards necessarily , Heeney , Parker and JPK play medium -tall if anything. McVeigh more of a slow flanker. None of those offer the pace or pressure we need to support a 3 pronged tall forward line . So hopefully Ronke gets back in sooner rather than later.
    I take your point. Who was performing the role prior to Ronke? Could we potentially look at one of our young recruits such as McInerney or Stoddart filling this role?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I take your point. Who was performing the role prior to Ronke? Could we potentially look at one of our young recruits such as McInerney or Stoddart filling this role?
    That’s the problem , not many options haha. Jack ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Umpires: Shaun Ryan (25), Robert O'Gorman (10), Nick Brown (13)

If the backline lines up as listed..... Mills Grundy Melican, McVeigh ,Rampe, Lloyd ....Not one quick player among them....

It worries me, such a slow, tall team we've picked.

The Dogs will try to exploit this with run and carry and lots of pressure.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

If our midfield get the ball at the centre clearance and kick it fast into forward line 6 vs 6 we will very very very hard to beat

Massive advantage our forward line

Great challenge for our midfield to dominate

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    If the backline lines up as listed..... Mills Grundy Melican, McVeigh ,Rampe, Lloyd ....Not one quick player among them....

It worries me, such a slow, tall team we've picked.

The Dogs will try to exploit this with run and carry and lots of pressure.
    Rampe is quick , but the others are all slow or slowish yes .

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Without Ronke, ORiordan and Thurlow it feels like our team is a little slow. Hope to be proved wrong.
    That could be correct ugg. Although our big forwards are not really slow. Papley will be busy. O'Riordan the unluckiest I feel.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Rampe is quick , but the others are all slow or slowish yes .

Lloyd is hardly slow surely?