Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Selection R1 v Bulldogs

Franklin may make it for R1

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/lance-franklin-closer-to-possible-round-1-start-after-coming-through-toughest-session-yet/news-story/a6c2c491c5c68859927bc3f3e7ee50ad

Lance Franklin is poised to resume full training after coming through his toughest session yet but the Swans insist their star forward’s lasting impact is the key consideration as D-Day looms ahead of round one.

While the Swans would dearly love the 32-year-old to line up against the Western Bulldogs next Saturday, what they desperately want to ensure is that Franklin is at full throttle and firing when the chase for glory hots up in the second half of the campaign.

A final call will be made next week with Franklin, coaching and medical staff all involved in a collaborative decision ahead of the opener.

Blog Entries

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Franklin may make it for R1

Category: | Herald Sun

Lance Franklin is poised to resume full training after coming through his toughest session yet but the Swans insist their star forward’s lasting impact is the key consideration as D-Day looms ahead of round one.

While the Swans would dearly love the 32-year-old to line up against the Western Bulldogs next Saturday, what they desperately want to ensure is that Franklin is at full throttle and firing when the chase for glory hots up in the second half of the campaign.

A final call will be made next week with Franklin, coaching and medical staff all involved in a collaborative decision ahead of the opener.
    I hope they take the conservative option and give him the time he needs. We should be good enough to take the Bulldogs without him anyway

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I hope they take the conservative option and give him the time he needs. We should be good enough to take the Bulldogs without him anyway
    I dunno - we are a middle-of-the-table team at best without Buddy.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    We're a middle-of-the-table team even with Buddy.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    We're a middle-of-the-table team even with Buddy.
    Gee. there are some optimistic souls on here this morning.

At the moment we sit in the bottom four on the ladder, courtesy of the habit the AFL has of listing in alphabetical order. But we're zero wins and zero percentage off top spot.

Who knows whether we're middle of the table - with or without Buddy - until the season gets underway.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Gee. there are some optimistic souls on here this morning.

At the moment we sit in the bottom four on the ladder, courtesy of the habit the AFL has of listing in alphabetical order. But we're zero wins and zero percentage off top spot.

Who knows whether we're middle of the table - with or without Buddy - until the season gets underway.
    That is true. I'm erring on the side of caution, but would love to be proven wrong.

I'm eternally optimistic when it comes to the Swans. I believe our team can beat anyone on any field at any point of the season.

Winning games does not boil down to how many first round picks we have in the side. Nor does it come down to Buddy. If that were the case, then GWS would be undefeated for the previous few seasons combined.

The more pertinent questions for me going into this season are: how well we gel as a team, how much have we bought into our game plan, how well our leaders lead, how much responsibility each player takes in beating their opponent and covering for the player next to them, and how authentically they back themselves with belief.

If we answer those questions affirmatively, then we go a long way. I don't care what others think. I'm always optimistic and expect the Bloods' culture to win out.

(Quarter time speech is over!)

We are a side in transition. There is a gaping hole in our age profile in 24-28 year olds (partly addressed via the recruitment of Menzel and Thurlow). And many pundits have us down as “biggest slider” for 2019.

Which is perfect fly under the radar Swans territory.

I still don’t think this is the year we’ll be challenging, but we might make the eight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I'm eternally optimistic when it comes to the Swans. I believe our team can beat anyone on any field at any point of the season.

Winning games does not boil down to how many first round picks we have in the side. Nor does it come down to Buddy. If that were the case, then GWS would be undefeated for the previous few seasons combined.

The more pertinent questions for me going into this season are: how well we gel as a team, how much have we bought into our game plan, how well our leaders lead, how much responsibility each player takes in beating their opponent and covering for the player next to them, and how authentically they back themselves with belief.

If we answer those questions affirmatively, then we go a long way. I don't care what others think. I'm always optimistic and expect the Bloods' culture to win out.

(Quarter time speech is over!)
    Onya Mark! Thanks for the wind up.

Regular in the Side
    Adam Curley suggests our Round 1 Team will look like this according to Mock teams: Your club's best 22 for round one - AFL.com.au

B: Heath Grundy, Lewis Melican, Jackson Thurlow
    HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Dane Rampe, Jake Lloyd
    C: Callum Mills, Josh Kennedy, Ryan Clarke
    HF: Tom Papley, Sam Reid, Will Hayward
    F: Ben Ronke, Callum Sinclair, Nick Blakey
    Foll: Aliir Aliir, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney
    I/C: George Hewett, Ollie Florent, Zak Jones, Harry Cunningham
    EMERG: Colin O'Riordan, Jordan Dawson, Justin McInerney, Robbie Fox

NEW: Nick Blakey, Ryan Clarke, Jackson Thurlow

UNAVAILABLE: Lance Franklin (groin), Kieren Jack (knee), Daniel Menzel (groin), Sam Naismith (knee), Nick Smith (hamstring)
    ----------------

I don't mind Buddy not playing as our aim is not just the early rounds but September actions! However, I will have O'Riordan and Dawson in for Melican and Ronke based on their form. If Buddy plays, then Blakey has to wait.

I'm with you Aaron: Sinclair to ruck, Aliir back, Melican to regain form in the NEAFL and Dawson replacing Sinkers in the forward line. The way I see it Blakey, Ronke and COR are competing for two spots. So far I have found liz's argument (that Blakey misses out) the most compelling. I didn't see JLT2 so haven't seen enough of Ronke's disappointing form to tip him out of the side. However it is a really tough call and any one of them could miss. When the injured players regain fitness we will have more happy problems but also more exposed form to judge by.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast