Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Selection R1 v Bulldogs

I doubt that Melican will make it based on his two performances so far this year. Needs time in the NEAFL to get his confidence back. Interesting call on Ronke. It's been a while since he showed his best. Hopefully Buddy will play against the Bulldogs as we really need him! Dawson deserves a game too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't think Ronke's JLT form was poor - he just wasn't a standout. It's quite a hard spot to play when
    a) you're still inexperienced
    b) the structure around you is all over the place.

It was good to see Reid healthy enough to play but I don't think his inclusion helped the other players much. There didn't seem to be much method to where he led or when he contested. He's rusty, so that's OK. But it does affect the other (still young) players around him.

Regular in the Side
    "Callum Sinclair directing traffic." - the Caption of one photo at Gallery: Eight sleeps until Round 1 - sydneyswans.com.au . Ha Ha! instead of training the House down. Well, he looks perfectly healthy. Actually, the players had a four day break (per Enterprise Bargaining) after JLT2 and they trained again this morning back at Bat and Ball Oval.

Veterans List
    Only in this thread because it was mentioned earlier, draft positions of each teams list is interesting, broken down into 1-10 & 11-20

Swans 4 & 6, counting Heeney as a 1-10 where he would've gone

Brisbane only 4 & 4

GWS still swimming in the over generous start up concessions 12 & 10, that's a whole team of top 20 picks

Carlton 13 & 8 courtesy of GWS raiding and being poo for a decade

Collingwood 10 & 7 might surprise a few

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Only in this thread because it was mentioned earlier, draft positions of each teams list is interesting, broken down into 1-10 & 11-20

Swans 4 & 6, counting Heeney as a 1-10 where he would've gone
    If you're referring to original draft position (and adjusting for Heeney, which I think is appropriate) I count five Swans in the 1-10 bracket.

But then I can only see five in the 11-20 range. (Maybe I've missed someone.)

I'm just running through our team

4 x top 10 - easy: Heeney, Mills, Blakey and Macca

4 x top 11-20 ND draft picks - bit trickier: Florent, Jones, Thurlow and Menzel

It's kind of dodgy counting Thurlow and Menzel when we just traded them in for picks much, much later than 20. Was this just something you did, 707, or have you read this analysis done somewhere else?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

It's kind of dodgy counting Thurlow and Menzel when we just traded them in for picks much, much later than 20. Was this just something you did, 707, or have you read this analysis done somewhere else?
    Franklin fits in the 1-10 category, and we have Ling in the 11-20 group.

Just realised I've missed Ling! And Buddy!

- - - Updated - - -

Jinx

Veterans List

I did it myself, Liz is correct, 5 & 5, Buddy, Mills, Heeney, Macca & Blakey, think I counted Blakey at 10 in the wrong category.

This list is where they were originally drafted, that they came to us for very little doesn't affect the purpose of my analysis.

GWS still at 12 & 10 is staggering considering how many top 10 and top 20 picks have been traded out by them in recent years.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    We are a side in transition. There is a gaping hole in our age profile in 24-28 year olds (partly addressed via the recruitment of Menzel and Thurlow). And many pundits have us down as “biggest slider” for 2019.

Which is perfect fly under the radar Swans territory.

I still don’t think this is the year we’ll be challenging, but we might make the eight.
    Interesting post.....and you may be proven right but the way I look at it is that we had a less experienced side last year and the pundits were again predicting us to slide and we came sixth and were a kick away from finishing fourth. We ran out of puff in the finals. Technically we should finish higher and I don't think we will run out of puff as the young blokes have an extra pre season under their belts and by the finals, more experience in the big time. On that assessment, we should finish higher than last season.......should!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Adam Curley suggests our Round 1 Team will look like this according to Mock teams: Your club's best 22 for round one - AFL.com.au

B: Heath Grundy, Lewis Melican, Jackson Thurlow
    HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Dane Rampe, Jake Lloyd
    C: Callum Mills, Josh Kennedy, Ryan Clarke
    HF: Tom Papley, Sam Reid, Will Hayward
    F: Ben Ronke, Callum Sinclair, Nick Blakey
    Foll: Aliir Aliir, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney
    I/C: George Hewett, Ollie Florent, Zak Jones, Harry Cunningham
    EMERG: Colin O'Riordan, Jordan Dawson, Justin McInerney, Robbie Fox

NEW: Nick Blakey, Ryan Clarke, Jackson Thurlow

UNAVAILABLE: Lance Franklin (groin), Kieren Jack (knee), Daniel Menzel (groin), Sam Naismith (knee), Nick Smith (hamstring)
    ----------------

I don't mind Buddy not playing as our aim is not just the early rounds but September actions! However, I will have O'Riordan and Dawson in for Melican and Ronke based on their form. If Buddy plays, then Blakey has to wait.
    I'm with you Aaron: Sinclair to ruck, Aliir back, Melican to regain form in the NEAFL and Dawson replacing Sinkers in the forward line. The way I see it Blakey, Ronke and COR are competing for two spots. So far I have found liz's argument (that Blakey misses out) the most compelling. I didn't see JLT2 so haven't seen enough of Ronke's disappointing form to tip him out of the side. However it is a really tough call and any one of them could miss. When the injured players regain fitness we will have more happy problems but also more exposed form to judge by.
    My thoughts pretty much exactly when I saw Curly's team.....

Based on who played and who didn't play in the NEAFL practice match, my guess is that COR, Thurlow, Dawson and Clarke are all in the side. If Buddy plays, then Blakey doesn't. Florent, Ronke and Melican are vying for the final spot in the squad.

It's sad about the Bulldogs loss of Dale Morris to an ACL injury. He seems like a great guy. It does however put pressure on their KPPs at both ends of the ground. I can't see us playing both Reg and Melican for this game, although they might be handy the following week v. Adelaide.

Generally speaking, Allir, Thurlow and Rampe, plus either Reg or Melican should suffice to cover tall forwards against most sides.

The fact that we are having selection problems early in the season should be a good sign. I hope it holds up till September.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast